Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to Singapore to live with boyfriend

Wanting to move to Singapore to live with boyfriend

Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

KateUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move to Singapore to live with boyfriend

Hi all!
I currently live in the UK while my boyfriend is currently working over in India. He is originally from the UK too and will be over there until March 2013. However, after his contract is up in India he will be moved to either Singapore or Dubai. I've decided that by next June once I've saved up some money, that I will go out and live with him over there.
However, I'm unsure of how easy it will be for me, especially finding a job. Also, which would be the better place to live Singapore or Dubai? I've heard that in Dubai non married couples can't live together :/
I really want to go over there with him, but I have no idea how visas work or how easy it will be for me to get a job.

Thanks for reading, and advice would be great!

Kate x
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:37 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move abroad to live with boyfriend

Hi Kate and welcome to the forum

A couple of things first off. March 2013 is long gone. Did you mean 2014?
We have a Singapore section on here so I will shift your post into there. That way you may get some response from expats actually in Singapore.

I think you need to address how you will live in Singapore and obtain a visa. I suspect if you are not a spouse it will not be possible, but will leave for our Singapore experts to answer that. I shouldn't think that visa runs would be possible. Singapore is quite tight on that.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move abroad to live with boyfriend

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think you need to address how you will live in Singapore and obtain a visa. I suspect if you are not a spouse it will not be possible, but will leave for our Singapore experts to answer that. I shouldn't think that visa runs would be possible. Singapore is quite tight on that.
I think you are right bb but there have been a few threads on this in the past but I forget what the answer was.
Unless of course both partners have a job.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:02 am
JR8
Just Joined

JR8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to move to Singapore to live with boyfriend

@ Kate
In general terms, to get work in Singapore, the employer needs to be able to demonstrate that you have qualifications and/or experience that is not available from the local Singaporean population.

You could look into getting a Long-Term Visit Pass (www.ica.gov.sg), based upon being in a de facto marriage (aka Common law marriage), but that entails crossing the burden of proof hurdle, to evidence that it’s genuinely the case. The island is very crowded, and there is no such thing as a ‘boyfriend/girlfriend visa’ (I’ve been in your situation, and read posts from umpteen others treading the same path too).

@BB
’ I shouldn't think that visa runs would be possible. Singapore is quite tight on that.’

If Kate is on a UK passport, she would usually expect to get a 90 day SVP on arrival, if she indicates she intends to stay that long, on her white ‘D/E Arrivals Card’. She could then go to ICA and seek an extension (that said I believe you do it all online these days), but my understanding is that’s it’s for a max of 30 days, and is one time only. She could ‘border run’, maybe a weekend in Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia towards the end of her original 90 day SVP. On re-entry she will most likely get a 30 day SVP.

At that point you’ve pretty much played your hand for SVP status. Immigration are very hot on people abusing the SVP, (especially young ladies, especially those from economically impoverished countries in the region (you can join the dots yourself)).

Don’t push it too far though, the Singaporean government have a very very long memory. If they flag you up as a ‘visa abuser’ it’ll be on your record for life. That could be a real problem if your boyfriend decided to settle down there for the long-term.

Good luck.