Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Tips for finding a job in Singapore

Tips for finding a job in Singapore

Old Feb 5th 2016, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Monia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tips for finding a job in Singapore

Hello members. I am 34 old Finance Professional with 11 yrs experience. I am ACCA qualified (chartered accountant) and also have a degree in Applied Accounting. I am currently working as a Finance Manager in Abu Dhabi. I was transferred here from the UK a couple of years ago. I have decided to pursue my dream and move to Singapore. I decided to take the risk and have already handed my notice with my current employer and making my way to Singapore in May'16.

Would you please be able to let me know what the opportunities are in Singapore and if it is possible to find a job. I'm thinking that it will be easier whilst I am already there. I am also OK to be without a job for at least 4 months. Do you think it is feasible to find a job within 4 months? Can I be there on the tourist visa while I am looking?

You replies and any tips would be so much appreciated.
Thank you all.
Monika
Old Feb 5th 2016, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for finding a job in Singapore

Doesn't your existing employer have an office in Singapore?

It would have been better to keep existing job until you find one here.
Four months in Singapore will be very expensive.
You might want to spend every moment on the internet between now and your arrival here researching Singapore accountancy jobs etc.

IIRC if you are British you will get a 6 month visa on arrival??? Others here will confirm that or not.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply.

My employer do have an office in Singapore and I initially requested for a transfer but they didn't have anything to offer me. Now they are saying maybe there will be something available but can't promise 100%. So, I take the worse case scenario into the consideration. 4 months financially without a job won't be an issue but it is more knowing that it is possible to find a job while I am there, without having anything lined up.

I am on the internet constantly now and also contacted lots of recruitment agencies but they say employers won't consider me for interviews unless I am already in Singapore. I am also applying directly for jobs.

In any case, this is all very exciting

Also, I am from Poland so I think I will get 90 days visa at the arrival.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you.

Four months with no salary may be OK as far as the cash you have available but it will certainly make a big hole in your savings.

Mind you you will probably have visited all your possibilities within the first two weeks, if you line things up properly.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monia
Hello members. I am 34 old Finance Professional with 11 yrs experience. I am ACCA qualified (chartered accountant) and also have a degree in Applied Accounting. I am currently working as a Finance Manager in Abu Dhabi. I was transferred here from the UK a couple of years ago. I have decided to pursue my dream and move to Singapore. I decided to take the risk and have already handed my notice with my current employer and making my way to Singapore in May'16.

Would you please be able to let me know what the opportunities are in Singapore and if it is possible to find a job. I'm thinking that it will be easier whilst I am already there. I am also OK to be without a job for at least 4 months. Do you think it is feasible to find a job within 4 months? Can I be there on the tourist visa while I am looking?

You replies and any tips would be so much appreciated.
Thank you all.
Monika
I posted under malaysia / subsection seeking relevant employment agents as potential employer seeking staff.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Mlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond repute

Tourist visa for UK passport holder (assuming you are one) is 90 days only.

I strongly advise you to try and find a job before you arrive. There are plenty of finance jobs and accountants are in pretty high demand. Banking industry is huge too. As it has just gone Chinese New Year, there will be more vacancies as this is the tine people job swap.

There is no harm applying for jobs and requesting a transfer at the same time.

Good luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your great tips. I had few interviews already and the recent one seems like they are interested and I am now waiting for their final decision. Fingers crossed!

Best Regards

Monika
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Can I please also ask how much am I looking for a 1 bed condo in a nice area with gym , pool etc. Where are the best areas to live, quite central and still not over priced. Thank you.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond repute

Check property guru sg. Central areas vary from 3k-5 for 1 bed apartment. Also depends how central you want it.

My friend stayed a bit further out and got a very nice 1 bed condo for 3k. 30 min bus ride into central.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Castello is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Monia
Thank you all for your great tips. I had few interviews already and the recent one seems like they are interested and I am now waiting for their final decision. Fingers crossed!

Best Regards

Monika
Hi Monika,

I am happy to hear that your job hunt is going well.

I am also an accountant and interested in making a move to Singapore in the future. I was wondering what you found was the most successful way to apply for jobs - did you search for jobs directly or was using recruiters more helpful?

Also, did you apply for a visa before applying for jobs?

Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Hi Castello,

I am doing a lot of searching myself but also approach lots of recruitment agencies. I think it is important to do both. It is very challenging to get through to recruiters. I think it will be easier while I am there to secure more meetings and job interviews.

I will be travelling on my turist visa.

Best of luck with your job search

Many thanks
Monika