Teaching in Singapore

Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Nimalika81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Singapore

Hi,
I am secondary school teacher currently living in the UK. I have 3/4 years work experience as a qualified teacher and 4 years experience teaching at university. I also have a Master's degree from France.

My husband has been offered a post in Singapore and we are thinking of relocating within the next few months.
I currently have a decent job in an independent school in London and I am keen to continue my career.
I would like some advice on how easy/difficult it is to get a job at an international school. (I teach French and German and have IB and IGCSE experience).
MOE have shown some interest in my application but I am hesitant to go down that route as I have heard many negative comments with regard to teaching there. I wonder if working for MOE is as bad as they say it is.

Furthermore I was also wondering if there are ever any permanent jobs offered in international schools as opposed to fixed term contracts? At the moment we are looking at staying in Singapore only for a few years but I was wondering what my options would be, if we decided to stay on and make Singapore our permanent home.

Thank you in advance,
Nim
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Singapore

So you've had negative comments about MOE and you are looking for someone to give you positive comments to 'ease your mind'.
Does it really work like that?

Are you saying that the move is in the balance because of this or would you be coming anyway.

Can't help on teaching and my comments shouldn't be considered as someone just being awkward

I would add that someone I used to know taught in Singapore for two years and then left because he thought he was under too much stress. He even considered doing a midnight flit which I managed to change his mind about.
After a couple of years he returned and has been here for 10 years now.

Last edited by ex reg; Jan 26th 2015 at 8:54 am.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Nimalika81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Singapore

Thank you for taking the time to reply ex reg.
No, I wasn't looking for positive comments to ease my mind- I just wanted to obtain people's honest opinions about teaching in Singapore. It is always very useful to hear what people have to say, and it will go a long way when deciding if we are going to make the move.