Teaching in Singapore

Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

CatClark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Singapore

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Singapore at the end of this year, as my husbands job are relocating us. I am a primary school teacher and ideally would like to gain a teaching position as quickly as possible after we arrive. From scouring the TES and other sites, there appears to be a real shortage of job adverts. I am aware schools are on/going on holidays now but are there any teachers (or parents) who can shed any light on what teaching prospects are like in Singapore and how likely it is jobs will appear?

Thank you!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Singapore

Hi there. Just to say Welcome to the forum. I no longer live in Singapore so cannot help you. Hopefully someone will be along to answer your question soon.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:31 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Teaching in Singapore

Originally Posted by CatClark
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Singapore at the end of this year, as my husbands job are relocating us. I am a primary school teacher and ideally would like to gain a teaching position as quickly as possible after we arrive. From scouring the TES and other sites, there appears to be a real shortage of job adverts. I am aware schools are on/going on holidays now but are there any teachers (or parents) who can shed any light on what teaching prospects are like in Singapore and how likely it is jobs will appear?

Thank you!
The main 'British school' is Tanglin Trust School, which is the school my children attended. You have almost certainly 'missed the boat' for the forthcoming academic year, although perhaps they may need maternity or sickness cover etc. Here is their careers page:

http://tts.edu.sg/main/careers_at_tanglin

My daughter transferred to United World College of SE Asia (also a Trust school) for her secondary education (Dover campus) but there is a new campus in the East and it seems that they will be recruiting in the next couple of years or so:

http://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/page.cfm?p=374

You could also try Dover Court Prep school, Chatsworth School, the Australian International School, Overseas Family School and the International School of Singapore (all 'profit-making' schools).

I did know a Kiwi (Maori) whose husband headed up the Singapore Rugby (for youth) and she taught English in a local school (pupils aged 10-11). She told me that she had a major problem with the boys (Malay Muslims) who had absolutely no respect for a foreign female teacher. However, the school day, term times and school year is very different to a UK school so bear that in mind if you want to work in local schools; try the MOE (Ministry of Education) for vacancies.

PS. I seem to remember that TTS (not sure about UWC) does place adverts for vacancies but it would be earlier in the academic year....I think they use an agency to weed out initial applications before interviews take place. So many teachers want to go on an overseas posting that they know they can choose the 'cream of the crop' as they get so many talented applicants. However as a 'trailing spouse' you may be able to get supply teaching work. I seem to recall that they tend to have teachers on 3 year postings with generally a maximum of 5 years so they still have 'fresh' UK teaching experience.

Last edited by Englishmum; Jul 11th 2013 at 11:36 am.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

CatClark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Singapore

Thanks for your help 'englishmum', my internet searches seem to have shown all those schools too, it's good to know I'm going along the right lines!

Thanks again.