Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to Singapore

Wanting to move to Singapore

Old Mar 21st 2018, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

danicheng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move to Singapore

Hi All,

I have had the desire to move away from the UK to find work elsewhere and I want to explore Singapore. Reason being is because of the large semiconductor industry and I thought the place was beautiful after visiting it last month. I also speak Cantonese but not mandarin as my parents are from Hong Kong and I was born in the UK.

To give you a background of my career I am 24 and work as a Buyer in Procurement for a Japanese manufacturing company in Scotland. So my question is what is the best way of getting a procurement in Singapore. I have already spoken to recruiters and found the same response from everyone on how hard it is to get a sponsor to work in the city due to the government is wanting businesses to hire local firsts. However I was told by a local taxi driver in Singapore that if you have a degree then the government will want you. Whether this is true or not I am not sure.

I have also thought about Hong Kong as I am Chinese and fluent in Cantonese but I do not read or write Chinese which is making it difficult to find something. However it would be my ultimate dream to move there too.

Would appreciate any pointers on what is the best course of action to go around this is as I don't want to leave it too late before I get to old for a move and become at that settling down age.Would also appreciate any advice on which city in the world where there is a shortage of procurement staff or an abundance of manufacturing firms located

Kind Regards
Daniel
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to Singapore

For Singapore the more qualified - degrees etc - and the more experienced you are the better.

Find out which UK companies in your line have offices, factories in Singapore.
Apply to them for a job here.
They will do all the needful regarding work permits etc etc.

Cantonese is no longer used in business here.
It is all english but mandarin is used if you deal with China.

Good luck.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:59 am
Just Joined

kaitme is an unknown quantity at this point

can try emailing the HR direct, there are some expat facebook groups in singapore, you can try joining and asking there for experiences, would be more efficient i guess
Old Aug 10th 2018, 10:53 am
Just Joined

danicheng is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JulianaLonrein
I have been to Singapore with my family last year. We stayed there for like a month. Honestly, London is so much better, and singaporian way of life is a hell in comparison to british one!
Hi Jiliana,

Thanks for your reply. I suppose each country has its good and bad. For me the weather plays a big part of it as well as being close to my family in HK as well the opportunity to take advantage of being close to other countries in Asia. The UK will always be my place to settle down and also the overseas experience is something I am really wanting to get for a few years.

Would you say the outgoings in Singapore is more than London?

Kind Regards
Daniel
Old Aug 10th 2018, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danicheng
Hi Jiliana,

Thanks for your reply. I suppose each country has its good and bad. For me the weather plays a big part of it as well as being close to my family in HK as well the opportunity to take advantage of being close to other countries in Asia. The UK will always be my place to settle down and also the overseas experience is something I am really wanting to get for a few years.

Would you say the outgoings in Singapore is more than London?

Kind Regards
Daniel
Daniel, please disregard Jiliana's post, she was a spammer just trying to get enough posts so that she could advertise, and posting nonsense all over the place. Now banned!
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:27 am
Just Joined

johnarsu is an unknown quantity at this point

It can be nearly impossible to get a job in Singapore direct. I have been trying for 3 years. The best way to get there is get a job in the U.K with a company that has an office in Singapore. Work hard and keep your nose clean for 2 years + then look for a transfer from them to Singapore dependent on what opening they have there.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Mlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on visa situation. If the company can employ foreigners they will. It’s a big risk to come to Singapore still without a job, some people get lucky and get a job within months, others take years.

To me, SG is a far better lifestyle than London. Only things I dislike are the following -

House rental is expensive. I miss my old house. Condos are great with pools and gym downstairs but my family will be raised (unless I move back) without experiencing a front and back garden and lack of own transport. That said public transport is fantastic in SG.

No car. Although no real need for one.

Education unless you can get your children into local schools is expensive.

Tax is low. Singapore a great base to travel all across Asia. I speak English and Cantonese only too and get by fine. Best of luck.