Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Sorry! A thread about weather...

Sorry! A thread about weather...

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about
Default Sorry! A thread about weather...

Hi

We are due to arrive in Singapore for 3 days on Monday and after looking at the weather forcast of heavy rain just after a little advice.

Are we talking days and days of heavy rain all day or just showers or just rain at night etc etc. I need to know what to pack.

Anyone with a crystal ball please post here.......
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:51 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry! A thread about weather...

Honestly, you never know. It's the wet season (i.e., even wetter than the dry season) and I have known it rain for a week, solid - sorry, you didn't want to hear that, did you? But it could rain just through the night, or there could be afternoon showers, or you could have totally dry days. That's really not helpful, I know, but it's how it is.

It will still be hot. You pack the same clothes you'd pack for the dry season - loose, cool cottons and linens in colours that don't show the sweat too badly. Maybe you pack a fold-up raincoat, but if I saw you in the street I'd know you were a tourist 'cos residents know that all that makes you do is sweat like you're in a sauna.

Wear sandals/flipflops/thongs or trainers on your feet. Doesn't matter what you wear, they'll get soaked through anyway. But they'll dry quickly.

Pack an umbrella, or buy one there if and when you need it. You can get them all over the place for very little cost.

Plan your days so that you can revert to indoor activities if necessary. Take it from me that getting stuck at the zoo in a downpour is not fun.

(I'm a veteran of six Singapore wet seasons, BTW.)

edit: PS - take cardigans/jumpers for indoors. Singapore cools shopping malls, etc., to ridiculous levels and you really feel it after being outdoors in the heat, and especially if you are wet.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:56 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

My crystal ball not working either - but can guarantee it will be hot. If it's monsooning, just enjoy the great food, chill out with a few beers down Boat Quay, and head for the shopping malls (with cardigan, like Seasider said) - when we were living there we renamed Plaza Singapura as Plaza Siberia - enough said.

In any case, you've only 3 days then you're off to Oz I guess - have fun and enjoy your new life !
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

I was so sure that I would find someone on here with a crystal ball.

Thanks for the advice.

Sonya
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:43 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Pack an umbrella, or buy one there if and when you need it. You can get them all over the place for very little cost.

Do Giordano still have their differential pricing on umbrellas? They used to sell them cheaper (yes cheaper) on rainy days than on dry days.....always made me smile, that!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:25 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Do Giordano still have their differential pricing on umbrellas? They used to sell them cheaper (yes cheaper) on rainy days than on dry days.....always made me smile, that!
Yes they do!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:52 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Yes they do!
I love that idea. Glad to hear they are still going - I thought they had a great concept - cheap and cheerful but reasonable quality (I still wear Giordano shorts and we left almost 7 years ago!) and always really good service!