Snakes!

Old Jun 8th 2013, 6:31 am
Just Joined

W11Sal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snakes!

Move to Singapore anticipated for August term start. All very quick, only found out last week! Hubby was over last week but ive not visited yet
Frantically trying to sort schools thinking home could fall in once we got there, though I fancied looking for a landed house towards the East coast till a friend told me about snakes in the garden. Pathological fear of snakes has now made me think a penthouse condo (ie furthest away from the ground!) would be better.

Hubby to work near Changi, we have two boys 8 & 4 who go to inner city church state primary currently.

Anyone calm me down please? Schools? Living? Snakes! Haha!

Sal x
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes!

No doubt there are snakes around.
I saw one in a hedge which ran along one side of our landed.
It must've seen me first because it was off like a flash.
We had a bird's nest in the hedge so it must've been after the eggs???
Dunno what type of snake it was.
Every few years or so there is a news story about the massive python found at somewhere or other.
But in reality you'll be lucky to ever encounter a snake in Singapore.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 1:35 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I never saw any snakes in Singapore when I lived there. Saw a few water rats down the storm drains. Think you'll be safe

We had quite a few snakes when we lived in a house in Thailand. Nice long green tree snakes that used to dangle from our carport and totally freak out our cleaning ladies. Quite a few cobras and other nasties too . A lot to be said for condo living.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 6:35 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

they tend to prefer damp and moist places which is why they are often found in people's bathrooms . They also have bad eyesight and the best thing to do if you come across one is to stay still and back away slowly so as not to startle them.They tend to avoid contact with people and will most likely slither off . Only likely to be a problem when in a corner and feeling vulnerable .
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:44 am
Banned

jason.mantle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sal,

Finding a property in Singapore is not difficult, but not easy either, given the number of people who arrive looking for work and accommodation regularly. I'd suggest (since you're moving with family), to try and figure out housing before you make the actual shift. I'm from the US originally, but have been in the E Asia region for a while now. (SNIP)

And of course, if you have any other queries regarding the region, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you best as I can. Happy relocating!

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 18th 2013 at 1:49 pm. Reason: Advice is welcome but please dont turn posts into adverts for web pages, thanks
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Snakes!

The first time we lived in Singapore we lived in a ground floor maisonette.

One day the amah (maid) came running into the lounge to say that a cobra was coming into the kitchen! We both screamed and went running down to the condo guardhouse...the brave guy just grinned at us and got a broom out and took it away (by this time I was well out of the way so I don't know how he did it lol!).

The guard then put a line of sulphur down as apparently snakes dislike it and won't cross over it.

If you find a snake in your property you are supposed to call the police and they will deal with it.

Btw as soon as our 2 year lease was up we moved to the 3rd floor on another condo

I had quite a few friends who lived in the lovely black & white colonial houses.....these have large gardens and seem to be a magnet for snakes. One friend who lived in Alexandra Park had a nest of snakes in the the air-con unit in her bedroom . Another friend at Adam Park once drove over a 15ft python (it was dark) on her drive.....and another friend also in Adam Park has had a number of cats going missing over the years (long-term expat) and is pretty sure that pythons got them