Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore with a newborn and a dog

Singapore with a newborn and a dog

Old Jul 13th 2015, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore with a newborn and a dog

I thought I'd try to help the OP out with some pictures of the various types of houses in Singapore that might interest her:

Landed "terrace" house:

Landed "cluster" house:

Landed "good class bungalow":

For what it's worth, only 2% of the Singapore population live in "landed" properties. The overwhelming majority are in HDB (a glorified/sanitized type of council housing) & about 20 - 30% are in private condominiums/apartments.

Happy house hunting!
Old Jul 13th 2015, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with HDBs.

Friends live in a new build HBD, 4 years old.
3 bed 2 bath only 1000 sq ft but adequate for their needs.

They decorated the place from new when only the kitchen and bathroom tiles and WCs and basins in the bathroom were installed.

Now they have a fabulous apartment exactly as they want with solid wood floors. Marble tile floors.
Granite surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom with all their stuff being top of the range.

They are on 32nd floor with great view.
First five floors of their block is shopping mall. NTUC Finest in basement.
MRT alongside tha block.
Bus station at ground level.
They park on the 8th floor.

And it was ostencibly free, as the were 'forced' to move from their 30 year old HDB which was being pulled down to build a new HDB block, as all 'old' HDB blocks are going to be either upgraded or rebuilt on an long term programme - not UK long term but Singapore long term and there is a big difference.
All they had to pay for and do themselves was decorate the place which cost them only S$80k and it is top knotch, imo.

Not for the OP for sure in this case but there is nothing wrong with living in HDBs.
IMO.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong - I love HDBs! It's just that, as an expat (even though I'm a PR) with a local wife, I'm not allowed to purchase an HDB & keep our private properties. As it stands, getting permission to buy "landed" in Singapore was already a nightmare - tax returns, proof of company turnover, reams and reams of papers, forests of trees sacrificed to satisfy the relevant authorities, just for the right to own a tiny sliver of land in Singapore.

If I had my way, I'd love to stay in an HDB - Tiong Bahru has great character and nothing beats view from the 50th floor at the Pinnacle @ Duxton. "Council housing" in Singapore is way different from the stuff back in Blighty - and all for the better, IMHO.

Last edited by xizzles; Jul 13th 2015 at 12:26 pm.