Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore accommodation help please

Singapore accommodation help please

Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road
Smile Singapore accommodation help please

Can you recommend any accommodation for us please. We will be stopping off in Singapore after our visit to Oz in April.

There are 5 of us altogether. 2 adults and 2 kids + mother-in-law. Ideally we would like an apartment or a hotel for a family unit of us 4 and a spare room for mum-in-law. Any recommendations please??

thanks alot.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore accommodation help please

Originally Posted by kurrikurri
Can you recommend any accommodation for us please. We will be stopping off in Singapore after our visit to Oz in April.

There are 5 of us altogether. 2 adults and 2 kids + mother-in-law. Ideally we would like an apartment or a hotel for a family unit of us 4 and a spare room for mum-in-law. Any recommendations please??

thanks alot.
I lived in Singapore for nearly six years and just after I moved on our next expat posting my sister and her family started jetting off for annual trips to Australia (where her brother-in-law settled down with his Aussie wife).

I recommended the Orchard Parade Hotel to them and they've had a stopover there on their way to and from Oz on each trip. My sister always goes with her spouse and three children plus her mum and dad-in-law. The hotel has family rooms and is in a great location and my sister says it's very reasonably priced:

http://www.orchardparade.com.sg/
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:42 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default second orchard parade

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I lived in Singapore for nearly six years and just after I moved on our next expat posting my sister and her family started jetting off for annual trips to Australia (where her brother-in-law settled down with his Aussie wife).

I recommended the Orchard Parade Hotel to them and they've had a stopover there on their way to and from Oz on each trip. My sister always goes with her spouse and three children plus her mum and dad-in-law. The hotel has family rooms and is in a great location and my sister says it's very reasonably priced:

http://www.orchardparade.com.sg/

We are quite happy with the Orchard Parade hotel, stayed there few times. Have no complained about it.

There are also Crown Prince hotel that next door to Paragon shopping mall and Takashimaya.

If you have spare cash i would recommend Shangri-La Hotel
Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:46 am
Just Joined

aldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: second orchard parade

Originally Posted by novita77
We are quite happy with the Orchard Parade hotel, stayed there few times. Have no complained about it.

There are also Crown Prince hotel that next door to Paragon shopping mall and Takashimaya.

If you have spare cash i would recommend Shangri-La Hotel
Phoenix Hotel just behind Orchard Road and next toi Somerset MRT. Has computers and internet in the room - yes actual terminals. A McDonalds across the street saves money on B'fast. Price is reasonable by Sing standards - around 200 Sing $ I think..
Old Jan 21st 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aldo
Phoenix Hotel just behind Orchard Road and next toi Somerset MRT. Has computers and internet in the room - yes actual terminals. A McDonalds across the street saves money on B'fast. Price is reasonable by Sing standards - around 200 Sing $ I think..
Singapore hotels are much more reasonable than 200 per night IMO.

I'd post a few hotel booking sites but they'd only get deleted.
Suggest you google Singapore Hotels and look through.

The Phoenix is very handily placed but because of that it is 50 dollars per night more than other hotels of the same star rating IMO.

Of course its horses for courses and whay you may think is value I may think is expensive.

Try the online sites, get a feel for price, pick a few, and post their names on here.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:06 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Singapore hotels are much more reasonable than 200 per night IMO.

I'd post a few hotel booking sites but they'd only get deleted.
Suggest you google Singapore Hotels and look through.

The Phoenix is very handily placed but because of that it is 50 dollars per night more than other hotels of the same star rating IMO.

Of course its horses for courses and whay you may think is value I may think is expensive.

Try the online sites, get a feel for price, pick a few, and post their names on here.
airasia.com hotel section have a reasonable price for hotels
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
airasia.com hotel section have a reasonable price for hotels
As it seems ok to post urls here then try this

http://www.asiatravel.com/singapore.html
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:57 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

asiarooms.com is another handy booking site - haven't used them for Singapore as I live there but they're very competitively priced in other areas.

As people have said, Orchard Parade Hotel is a great location - well for shopping and access to public transport, at least.

How long will you be staying? Would a serviced apartment be more economical?

Last edited by Kooky.; Jan 23rd 2007 at 11:58 pm. Reason: sorry, didn't mean to quote - haven't got the hang of this site yet
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Any recommendations for my sister and family - they are planning on a 1/2 night stop in Singapore en route to Brisbane in July (holiday not migration). Three kids aged 6-14, and they want to visit the Rainforest Walk (link below). They'll be booking through travel agents, I suspect, but can anyone recommend a handy hotel - that way they can go to the agents armed with the info!

http://www.wildsingapore.com/places/sbg.htm
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:37 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Any recommendations for my sister and family - they are planning on a 1/2 night stop in Singapore en route to Brisbane in July (holiday not migration). Three kids aged 6-14, and they want to visit the Rainforest Walk (link below). They'll be booking through travel agents, I suspect, but can anyone recommend a handy hotel - that way they can go to the agents armed with the info!

http://www.wildsingapore.com/places/sbg.htm
Any hotel around Orchard Road would be close to Botanical Garden. The closest one i can think of is Traders Hotel, the sister hotel of Shangri-La Hotel. And it is only walking distance to the Botanical Garden
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:55 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Um, I'm not sure that walk is as exciting as it may sound on the internet. The gardens are lovely, but possibly not that exciting for kids.

You may want to check out this link for Sungei Buloh nature reserve: http://www.sbwr.org.sg/ and also the Singapore Zoo, the Night Safari, and Jurong Bird Park.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:33 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by Seasider
Um, I'm not sure that walk is as exciting as it may sound on the internet. The gardens are lovely, but possibly not that exciting for kids.

You may want to check out this link for Sungei Buloh nature reserve: http://www.sbwr.org.sg/ and also the Singapore Zoo, the Night Safari, and Jurong Bird Park.
sungei buloh is nice ... been ages since last time we went there ...

night safari not too good in the weekend, you will spend your time on the night fighthing to get in on the queue, especially when is crowded with tour group. Our last visit was a nightmare.

Singapore Zoo is one of the best Zoo we ever been

Mind you night safari have a jungle walk too ... quite interesting walking around in the wood and have a look and see the animals.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I'll pass the info on to my sister. Apparently they have a friend who did the Rainforest Walk and enjoyed it, but we'll look in to the other options too.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Michelle Rockey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks - I'll pass the info on to my sister. Apparently they have a friend who did the Rainforest Walk and enjoyed it, but we'll look in to the other options too.
We stayed in a service apartment Far East Plaza on Scotts road - it was clean and functional nothing flash but reasonable rates, staff were lovely too.

Moved on to Rasa Sentosa (on Sentosa)which was more expensive but better location for the kids during the day without being to far from Singapore for us at night.

Mic
Old Jan 26th 2007, 1:29 pm
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

I third the Orchard Parade hotel- stayed there for a week. Sounds like a serviced apartment would suit you better though. I stayed at the Raffles Plaza serviced apts but was on a junket so didn't pay- quite pricey I would have thought.