Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Shall I move to Singapore??

Shall I move to Singapore??

Old Jul 11th 2014, 12:06 am
Just Joined

SANDY2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shall I move to Singapore??

Hi All,

My company is relocating some of us to Singapore, I have never been yet (waiting for scouting visit) and wanted to see what everyone's views are like....should I do it?

I am young,single, very active (I assume you cant go running in Singapore due to humidity?) and sociable. How easy will it be to make friends in Singapore?

It would be great to hear from people who have moved already and what your experience has been like?

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 11th 2014, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shall I move to Singapore??

I know lots of people who run in Singapore. you just have to be careful about hydrating.

I played hockey there and suffered from post match migraines until i sorted out my hydration.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I've run, played squash and rugby in Singapore and much more humid countries.
As do many people.

Problems occur if you walk to a restaurant, cinema, etc etc.
You might build up a slight sweat then and when you get inside then the aircon is blasting out freezing air.

Or if you travel by MRT or bus it's always wise to take along a fleece because the temp inside MRT trains and buses is such that if they were UK office temperatures everyone would stop work because it's too cold.

Last edited by ex reg; Jul 11th 2014 at 9:26 am.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 9:26 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Shall I move to Singapore??

<<<@!1!@>>>

My husband used to run to and from the office daily....but I'd make him stand naked on the balcony (we were on a high floor and not overlooked) to wring out his clothes as they were soaked in sweat lol!

He ran in the Singapore Marathon, the J P Morgan Corporate Challenge race and he enjoyed a charity run for the Yellow Ribbon Changi Prison run to rehabilitate prisoners from Changi Prison:

Background | Yellow Ribbon Prison Run 2014

FAQ | Yellow Ribbon Prison Run 2014

You might also enjoy joining one of the Hash House Harriers groups (which is a great laugh):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers
Example of a hashing group: Singapore Sunday Hash House Harriers | Our next run could be good...

Directory of hashing groups: The Singapore Region Hash Data

Tbh, Singapore is a fab posting for families and Hong Kong is better socially for young, single expats - however there is still fun to be had in Singapore and it is Summertime all year round (even during the Monsoon seasons it is still hot) so you don't stay indoors to escape the cold.

Things to do in Singapore including events, restaurants, clubs & music - Time Out Singapore
Old Jul 16th 2014, 6:47 am
Just Joined

westwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen lots of people running here, everywhere, I mean everywhere! Around Marina Bay, all central business district (i personally don't get the pleasure to get through all the crowd of walking tourists in that areas).
And being your age I think you easily adopt and find new frends among expats and local.
Just get a best deal possible from your employer, as life here is quite pricy.
Best of luck.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Sally01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here for a year, and I think running between 8 am to 7 pm is difficult...too hot!

But you can certainly choose other sports, i.e. swimming. The advantage in Singapore is you can swim all over the year.

Hope you enjoy your new move!

Sally
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally and welcome to the forum

Sandy2014 posted on here a year ago, so I imagine she has already made the move (or not). Anyway, it's a good topic to add on to.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Sally01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mr Bean. As you can tell, I'm new to this forum and not even check the date!

Thanks for the greetings & nice weekend,

Sally
Old Aug 9th 2015, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Mlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond repute

Running isn't the biggest challenge here. It's the stepping in and out of areas constantly going from hot humid temps to cold temps and then vice versa lol.

Hope she made the move. Coming to SG was always a concern of mine before with the weather. Now I dont regret but of course we all have our own personal reasons to move here.