Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

SAHM 3 and1 year old. Want to meet other mums

SAHM 3 and1 year old. Want to meet other mums

Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Dunroaming is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile SAHM 3 and1 year old. Want to meet other mums

Hi. Recently moved here and finding it hard to meet other mums. The kids all either are at kindie with helpers or at school. So while we settle and search for kindies I would love to meet another similar mum who would like to have coffee play dates. Out or indoors. I live in the west. Lakeside mrt.
MSG me we can meet and if we get on great!!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: SAHM 3 and1 year old. Want to meet other mums

Gruezi from Zug, Switzerland!

Actually I've lived in Singapore twice and heartily recommend that you join ANZA - the Australian & New Zealand Association. They welcome members from all over the world. ANZA has lots of activities for couples, singles, parents and children and they have an under 5s playgroup on Friday mornings for members at Dempsey Hill:

What's On at ANZA - Australian & New Zealand Association (ANZA)

About ANZA - Australian & New Zealand Association (ANZA)

You will most likely meet other expat mums who live out in your neck of the woods eg. Clementi, Bukit Timah.

I never did join the British Association of Singapore (it's a bit more 'sedate' than ANZA, but it seems that they are having parents & kids meet-up again on a regular basis, held at the British Club. Btw I don't know if you are a British Club member - we were - but I know that British Association members were allowed to use the dining and facilities at the BC on weekdays at limited times. I'm pretty sure that this is still the case:

Tours at The British Association

The BA Home Page

British Club |

Hope this helps!
PS. Perhaps you could also ask the supermarkets eg. Cold Storage or Fairprice if you could put up a notice on their noticeboard for get-togethers?
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: SAHM 3 and1 year old. Want to meet other mums

Thank you! Great Tips. Funny. We have just moved ch to sg. Hope you are enjoying it in ch. Big change huh?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: SAHM 3 and1 year old. Want to meet other mums

Originally Posted by Dunroaming
Thank you! Great Tips. Funny. We have just moved ch to sg. Hope you are enjoying it in ch. Big change huh?
Yes - it says underneath your user name that you are in Switzerland....time to update it perhaps?

I just can't get to grips with speaking Schweizer Deutsch, we may end up leaving the country next Summer so I'm not going to bother now (I've been here for 2 years, spouse for 3 years and neither of us understand it at all).

I do miss the lovely Singaporean food (there is a terrible 'Singaporean' restaurant in Zurich, owned by Chinese Malaysians). I'm bored with the same food on the menus here....Cordon Bleu, Raclette, Fondue and the usual cut of meat with noodles/potatoes and veggies. Cooked beautifully but oh, so bland!

Btw - do check out the Colbar Eating House. It's directly opposite Tanglin Trust School on Portsdown Road, in the direction of the AYE. It used to be the squaddies mess in British Colonial times (hence Colonial or Colbar) and the soldiers trained up the parents of Mrs Lim, who owns it with her husband. They are old now and it is their daughter who mainly operates it. I used to love their chicken curry with 'trimmings' and they make proper chips with fresh potatoes, not horrible frozen ones. They bring in lots of bottled beers and ciders from the UK.

Your children may enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and cuisine Closed Mondays. It's always busy on Sundays as it's the maids day off so lots of expat and local families go there if they don't fancy cooking at home lol! It's also popular with teachers from Tanglin Trust, Dover Court School and United World College.

Reviews: http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapo..._colonial_bar/

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 16th 2014 at 3:19 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Ah thanks. Yeh I found it hard to get used to boring food. But now I'm craving nice thin cut chips and nice steak bleu!! Oh well. And cheese and fondue!! Ah we miss what we can't have!!! Will you come back to singapore??
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

SarahT2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dunroaming,

Sorry to jump in on your conversation but just wondering how are you and the little ones settling into Singapore?

My husband got a job offer and we decided to move to Singapore from London with our 11 month old baby this January! So have been here almost 2 weeks now and keen to hear your experience so far. Planning on being SAHM for a couple of months and see how it goes.

Be cool to meet up for play dates sometimes?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Hello.
It's been 3 months since we moved. All going well. Where are you living? We moved near lakeside mrt and just got kids into some daycare few hours a day. Which is great. 3.5 year old came home saying mandarin words and talking about January and holding Her pen properly. After just a week!!! Defo. Send me your details via pm or email.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Sarah

Re sending PMs on here, this function will only work after you have done 3 posts. However, if you click on Dunroaming's name to the left, you should see an option of Sending an Email (via the forum)....if you want to do that.

Otherwise, keep posting
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Welcome to the forum Sarah

Re sending PMs on here, this function will only work after you have done 3 posts. However, if you click on Dunroaming's name to the left, you should see an option of Sending an Email (via the forum)....if you want to do that.

Otherwise, keep posting
Thanks bakedbean! And thanks for the welcome!

I'm looking forward to experiencing life in Singapore with my young family and hope to meet other mums to explore together!
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dunroaming
Hello.
It's been 3 months since we moved. All going well. Where are you living? We moved near lakeside mrt and just got kids into some daycare few hours a day. Which is great. 3.5 year old came home saying mandarin words and talking about January and holding Her pen properly. After just a week!!! Defo. Send me your details via pm or email.
Hi Dunroaming! Thanks for your reply! Will definitely drop you a PM when we move into our apartment next week near Novena MRT. Sounds like it's going well and I look forward to getting from insight from you already!