Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Professional Landed Permanent Residence Scheme

Professional Landed Permanent Residence Scheme

Old May 10th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional Landed Permanent Residence Scheme

Originally Posted by hmlamie
My question to you, if i want to start searching for job what is the start point?
Sorry I can't help you much in the tech sector.

I see Bocat might have some suggestions.
The main banks in Singapore are DBS, OCBC, UOB, OUB and Standard Chartered although other banks do have offices here. For example my missus used to work for Det Norske Bank but not in the IT dept
You might want to google those, get an address and send in a CV with an explanatory covering letter.

Or you could try googling IT and you might get similar agencies or websites such as Paul20 suggested.

Or google Singapore job agencies and then see which ones deal with the IT sector.

A trip to Singapore without first having established contact with a few possibilities would imo be a waste of your time and money.

Good luck.

The husband of a friend of my wife is in the IT sector at a high ish level.
He was recently out of work for over a year after being made redundant in the downturn of 2008.
So while IT jobs are now becoming available I'd think there would be a ready supply of applicants from locals that's why I asked if you have any particular specialties etc.

Last edited by ex reg; May 10th 2012 at 4:07 pm.
Old May 10th 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

hmlamie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bocat
hmlamie - consider the Banks etc too for IT. They tend to pay better.

My hubby works in IT for a bank and whilst we get no perks whatsoever - he does get a better salary than he would in most other companies (going by the job adverts). He's out tonight but I'll ask him which websites he uses.
Thanks a lot you are very generous, i am waiting your inputs
Old May 10th 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex reg
Sorry I can't help you much in the tech sector.

I see Bocat might have some suggestions.
The main banks in Singapore are DBS, OCBC, UOB, OUB and Standard Chartered although other banks do have offices here. For example my missus used to work for Det Norske Bank but not in the IT dept
You might want to google those, get an address and send in a CV with an explanatory covering letter.

Or you could try googling IT and you might get similar agencies or websites such as Paul20 suggested.

Or google Singapore job agencies and then see which ones deal with the IT sector.

A trip to Singapore without first having established contact with a few possibilities would imo be a waste of your time and money.

Good luck.

He was recently out of work for over a year after being made redundant in the downturn of 2008.
So while IT jobs are now becoming available I'd think there would be a ready supply of applicants from locals that's why I asked if you have any particular specialties etc.
I think as you said the first thing i should do is try to start a connection with these banks first, maybe i can find something suitable there. but sure there are recruitment agencies inside singapore can take care of my application and help me in finding a suitable offer in the IT companies there
Old May 11th 2012, 1:45 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

I think as you said the first thing i should do is try to start a connection with these banks first, maybe i can find something suitable there. but sure there are recruitment agencies inside singapore can take care of my application and help me in finding a suitable offer in the IT companies there
You can try RecruitExpress. In my opinion, all recruitment agencies are sharks, but RecruitExpress is quite big and a lot of companies use it.
Old May 11th 2012, 1:50 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Unfortunately, companies will hire whoever accepts the lowest salary. This is especially true in IT sector. That's why government is selective on approving work pass when salary offered is very low.
Old May 11th 2012, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul2O
Unfortunately, companies will hire whoever accepts the lowest salary. This is especially true in IT sector. That's why government is selective on approving work pass when salary offered is very low.
Yes, true. i can imagine that, but if your specialization is rare, her the difference will appear. I will start search in the offered recruitment agencies in this thread.
Old May 11th 2012, 5:41 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Yes, true. i can imagine that, but if your specialization is rare, her the difference will appear. I will start search in the offered recruitment agencies in this thread.
Looks like you have more faith in Singapore than me. Good for you!

You can email Jane at RecruitExpress. She can help you.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Looks like you have more faith in Singapore than me. Good for you!

You can email Jane at RecruitExpress. She can help you.
Thanks a lot, I already sent my CV to the email you have provided.
Old May 11th 2012, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I found that a strange observation I go for the best talent I can afford. Sorry OP not looking for Oracle.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:57 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
I found that a strange observation I go for the best talent I can afford. Sorry OP not looking for Oracle.
Yours is a minority. Most companies face severe pressure to cut costs, so they will go for the cheapest one. My last company refused to hire permanent local employees and imported cheap foreign workers via sub contracting firms.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno how new Oracle is but I remember in the early 90s I was looking for someone to run our programming using Prima Vera.
We hired a HK Chinese guy who had moved to Canada.

He wasn't the cheapest and he came with his wife. Not many Prima Veraists around in Singapore at that time.

And the best guy I ever hired when we were in a lot of trouble progress wise wouldn't negotiate below his asking price and stuck to his guns even though the industry at that time was in a slump and he had no permanent job..
I'd had a bit of experience of his work for a few weeks part time so got him on board at what he wanted.
He was Macau Chinese and his wife who was a Singaporean Chinese also worked in the same job but never alongside him.
They were both excellent and they followed me to HK and then back to Singapore.
I do know many companies who tend to take the lowest salary but imo it seldom works out and the companies who do it never really find out.
Old May 11th 2012, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Dunno how new Oracle is but I remember in the early 90s I was looking for someone to run our programming using Prima Vera.
We hired a HK Chinese guy who had moved to Canada.

He wasn't the cheapest and he came with his wife. Not many Prima Veraists around in Singapore at that time.

And the best guy I ever hired when we were in a lot of trouble progress wise wouldn't negotiate below his asking price and stuck to his guns even though the industry at that time was in a slump and he had no permanent job..
I'd had a bit of experience of his work for a few weeks part time so got him on board at what he wanted.
He was Macau Chinese and his wife who was a Singaporean Chinese also worked in the same job but never alongside him.
They were both excellent and they followed me to HK and then back to Singapore.
I do know many companies who tend to take the lowest salary but imo it seldom works out and the companies who do it never really find out.
What i know the Oracle Application around the globe is extensively required specially the HRMS module. i don't know if this is applied to Singapore also or no. Here in Middle East specially in Dubai a lot of job vacancies for Oracle HRMS
Old May 12th 2012, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi hmlamie

I asked my hubby and he says most of the jobs he looks at are advertised on Linked In. He also looks on http://www.stjobs.sg/ and also www.monster.com.sg.

The agency his bank used to recruit him from the UK was Albany Systems.

Hope this helps.
Old May 12th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Yours is a minority. Most companies face severe pressure to cut costs, so they will go for the cheapest one. My last company refused to hire permanent local employees and imported cheap foreign workers via sub contracting firms.
I think you might be also talking about jobs with limited added value.

When you bring the opportunity of increased business value talking down salaries for $10k when you could be gaining $m is not common place.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bocat
Hi hmlamie

I asked my hubby and he says most of the jobs he looks at are advertised on Linked In. He also looks on http://www.stjobs.sg/ and also www.monster.com.sg.

The agency his bank used to recruit him from the UK was Albany Systems.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot i will start upload my CV on those site, i wish i will find something suitable for me. Do they consider the overseas candidate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.