A Normal Apartment!

Old Mar 9th 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

z-techie will become famous soon enoughz-techie will become famous soon enough
Default A Normal Apartment!

Hi,
I have been offerred a job in Singapore which I am very likely to accept in the coming weeks. The plan is for me alone to move over to Singapore in June onwards. In terms of accomodation I would want to live alone (do not like sharing an aprtment with any other tenants) and would look for at least a 1 bedroom private apartment, no need for extra facilities such as swimming pool etc which I would not use, given I will travel around the Asia region as part of my role and not always be in Singapore. As for place of stay, I would consider either the East Coast or West Coast that has MRT near (preferably walkable) allowing me to get in the centre in reasonable commute time (i.e. 20 mins or so). Based on such specific accommodation requirements would anyone know whether its possible of a budget between SGD 2000 - 25000 / month (or maybe less ). Does anyone have any useful estate agent links or indeed know of any good estate agents that they could post my way to help me fufil such requirements. My online search so far to fit the above criteria has been somewhat disappointing as I am either finding high end expensive private apartments with all the thrown in facilitites which I am not interested in making use of, or finding just sharing apartments which I will avoid. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Normal Apartment!

There are studio apartments available and 1 bedroom.
A friend was letting a studio for 3k a month which really surprised me.

Try propertyguru.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby rented an HDB flat when he came over at first (HDB is public housing but a much higher standard than most countries). His agency arranged it for him.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

z-techie will become famous soon enoughz-techie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bocat
My hubby rented an HDB flat when he came over at first (HDB is public housing but a much higher standard than most countries). His agency arranged it for him.
Hi Bocat,
Thanks for your feedback. Do you possibly know the agency that arranged the HDB flat for your husband?
Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

It was arranged through his employment agency when he came over.

I've just had a look on www.propertyguru.com.sg and a search on 1 bedroom HDBs brought up over 600 properties. So if you know which area you'd like to live in I'm sure you could find something very cheap. I had a quick look and they seem to range in price from $600 - $1900 per month for something fully furnished.

There's another good property website too - www.iproperty.com.sg. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

serenagoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: A Normal Apartment!

Hi Z-techie,

I believe studio and 1 bedroom private will be ideal for you since you will be moving over to Singapore alone. However, rental rates in the areas (West Coast and East Coast) in which you prefer are a lot higher than your budget as they are easily above $3,500 per month even for a studio apartment. These areas are very high in demand by expats thus pushing up the rental rates. The rental rates of studio or 1 bedroom private apartment, away from the central area, are around $2,500 and above depending on the furnishing you required.

As for HDB flats, the smallest unit suitable for you will be a 2room flat (which is known as 1-bedroom flat) but that are very few of such units available for rent in Singapore. As such, you may have to consider a 3room flat (which is has 2 bedrooms). Those 1 bedroom HDB flats for rent via PropertyGuru are usually just the master bedroom or the common room of 2room flat and above, which means you will be sharing the flat with other tenants. The average rental pricing of 3room flat in Singapore will be easily within your current budget, away from the central area.

Nevertheless, the transportation system in Singapore is so good that you can easily access to central area via the Mass Rapid Transport (MRT) within 30mins from most areas. Thus, it would be best for you to find a housing that provides you a direct transportation to your work place.

<snipped>

Mod note: Informative post but please do read the site rules. In particular rule 9 on advertising.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 17th 2012 at 4:49 am. Reason: Post snipped in the hope that this new user will read the site rules.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

as you don't want facilities you best bet is a HBD. you'll have no prroblem within your budget