Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Newbie, offered a job to in Singapore so Advice Needed

Newbie, offered a job to in Singapore so Advice Needed

Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Whatdayisit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie, offered a job to in Singapore so Advice Needed

Hello,

I'm after some advice I have been offered a Facilities Management job in Singapore on a basic Salary of 90,000SD. Plus 10,000SD travel allowance, health care as standard excl dental.

I wanted to know if it was acceptable for a single person to live off this? I live in London at present so would need to locate and want/ need a two bed furnished living accommodation. I don't want to live like a student and want to live comfortably, attend the gym have a mobile contract internet and be able to be sociable.

Is this achievable on that salary?

I also want to know do I need to take a two year rental agreement and how does it work with stamp duty?

How long does it take for a company to process a visa? How much should I budget for food and leisure?

Thank for your help.

Sarah
Old Jul 9th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie, offered a job to in Singapore so Advice Needed

You'll be ok.
Won't be able to be too extravagent but you'll be OK.
2 years is the normal rental agreement period but you can get less.
Stamp duty is like income tax, you just pay it and move on.
It's not a great amount anyway.
Oh you can pay anything from S$1500pm to S$8000pm+ for a 2 brm apartment, but a comfortable one within easy distance of 'downtown' would probably set you back S$4000pm ish
Most apartments are rented furnished but that doesn't prevent you asking for a change of furniture if you want. it all comes down to the negotiation.
Apartments used to rented as corporate leases but they are rare these days but if you have one it does give you quite a bit of bargaining power compared to a personal lease.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 1:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say Welcome to the forum, Sarah and can confirm that today is Thursday (at least it is in this part of the world).
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

as someone above mentioned you can live on that but don't expect an extravagant lifestyle. You can economize by going for an HDB apartment rather than a Condo with all the facilities.

Singapore is a very expensive place to live. I moved down to that sort of salary after losing my first job in the crash out there. There is no way I would consider moving to Singapore for that sort of money again.