Moving to Singapore

Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Singapore

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You *do* have some idea how much alcohol costs in Singapore don't you?
Oh no! How much does a very large Grand Marnier cost?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:44 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

never let finances get in the way of fun !
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:46 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to Singapore

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh no! How much does a very large Grand Marnier cost?
I don't know....I don't drink it! Best thing to do is to take your own bottle in with you; all passengers can take in 1 litre of spirits + 1 bottle of wine + (and I kid you not) 3 cans of beer!

There are Duty Free shops on arrival at Changi airport, adjacent to the luggage carousels just before going through the Customs channels....but the selection isn't that great. Wine in particular seems to be more expensive than Vodka, Gin, Rum, Whisky etc.

Are you going on a visit to Singapore?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know....I don't drink it! Best thing to do is to take your own bottle in with you; all passengers can take in 1 litre of spirits + 1 bottle of wine + (and I kid you not) 3 cans of beer!

There are Duty Free shops on arrival at Changi airport, adjacent to the luggage carousels just before going through the Customs channels....but the selection isn't that great. Wine in particular seems to be more expensive than Vodka, Gin, Rum, Whisky etc.

Are you going on a visit to Singapore?
Yes.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 16th 2011 at 3:05 am.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Claudia1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently paid equivalent $8 US for coffees in good hotel in Singapore - lucky we did not require alcohol.

So, your point is well taken !!

Claudia

Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
there is no drainage in Thailand. It's terrible. They fill in land and build stuff where the water used to go and then wonder why it floods when it rains !
A bit off topic but the estate where we've got our "holiday" home in Phuket has terrific drainage, lots of storm drains just like Singapore. The Thai guy that designed the place studied in the U.S. (by way of explanation). But of course once you drive out of the estate and onto the main roads, you've got all the flooding out there to contend with
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:31 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes.
Some places seem to be more expensive than others. We stayed out at the East Coast in Katong recently and found a bistro/pub doing Happy Hour prices which could be negotiated out of Happy Hour if you book your drinks in advance. I think that's common practice in pubs in Singapore, isn't it? At least used to be when we lived there.

And if you're happy with beer in foodcourts, doesn't cost so much. I'm a bit out of touch on prices though. Ex-Reg may know?

Hey... have a great holiday there - a great place to visit.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Some places seem to be more expensive than others. We stayed out at the East Coast in Katong recently and found a bistro/pub doing Happy Hour prices which could be negotiated out of Happy Hour if you book your drinks in advance. I think that's common practice in pubs in Singapore, isn't it? At least used to be when we lived there.

And if you're happy with beer in foodcourts, doesn't cost so much. I'm a bit out of touch on prices though. Ex-Reg may know?

Thank you. I have not been before but hubby's been many times...so he's looking forward to showing me around.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

I don't drink in pubs anymore since my local The Wagonwheel's barman Mr Wong went and died behind the bar and was left there for a couple of hours before anyone arrived to take him away.

Food court beer can vary in price between the high end Kirin and other Japanese stuff and Anchor or Tiger and between different stalls on a big foodcourt.
Anchor can be had for S$4.5 for 660ml but I suppose Tiger averages S$5.30 ish.
But in pubs draught Tiger might be S$ 8 plus for a pintish glass.
And in hotel bars well I dunno.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed the price rises when I was there a couple of months ago.

I'm trying to find an excuse for another trip, now that I'm soon to be unemployed. Might need to crack a crown
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:47 pm
Mark

Pickard100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know, but a very good ole friend from college has a bar/restauraunt that he owns and I am hoping but not counting on a few discount beverages
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by ex reg
I don't drink in pubs anymore since my local The Wagonwheel's barman Mr Wong went and died behind the bar and was left there for a couple of hours before anyone arrived to take him away.
Geez... that's terrible. We went to the Wagonwheel once - nice lively pub. What a shame.

Is the Old Brown Shoe still going?