Moving to Singapore

Old Jul 26th 2008, 2:50 am
Just Joined

forestial is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Singapore

Check into the schools situation. There is a thread somewhere here about the shortage of places in International schools: the local schools are generally good but they are insanely competitive and may be a bit of a shock to kids coming from UK schools.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 3:36 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by forestial
Check into the schools situation. There is a thread somewhere here about the shortage of places in International schools: the local schools are generally good but they are insanely competitive and may be a bit of a shock to kids coming from UK schools.
local schools - and you need to decide if you want your kids picking up Singlish lah - can lah?
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:18 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

here's the scoop..International schools are expensive and have waitlists..Tanglin Trust which is British system is 7.5k-9k Sing per term (3 terms). Housing has gotten very expensive. 4-5 bed house in prime area is going to run min. of 9-11k p/m possibly more. Singapore is also dealing with inflation and cost of living has gone up but if you stay out of expat supermarkets you can along quite cheaply. Owning a car is very expensive but probably a necessity with a large family. Its a great place to raise a family, you'll never feel unsafe. I lived there six years..my kids still hate me for leaving!

and you dont want your kids to attend local schools

Last edited by heartofdarkness; Jul 27th 2008 at 2:21 pm. Reason: add info
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:34 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It might be a tad more helpful if you explain why you don't recommend local schools.

(I probably share your views but I do know expat and mixed families with kids in them, and not everyone has a UWC budget.)