Moving to Singapore 2

Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:56 am
Just Joined

SGPDiver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Singapore 2

Hi folks and all is progressing well, however more help would be appreciated for the following:

1) Any personal recommendations for climatised storage units (and sq ft rates if known) to take furniture, pictures, books etc until such time as I find a permanent condo? Whilst my relocation company are providing their recommendation, I would like to check out a couple more options. I need to be able to walk in and take or put back bits as neccessary. I also understand books etc develop black mould spots if you aren't careful, which is a concern.

2) Transport, whilst cars are expensive, am I really that mad to attempt the causeway on a motorbike? I intend to explore up the East coast i.e. Desaru Beach up past Pulau Tioman onwards with a view hopefully to a weekend retreat and diving, yet by all accounts this is unwise to say the least. I have biked on a moped thru the middle of cities such as Bangkok, Marrakech, which to be honest whilst challenging, I found great fun.

3) Is the increase in crime dramatic when you cross from the safety of Singapore? I hear that the Malays mark SGP plates and/or white Caucs and target them, with Johor being the worst. This includes dragging the bags from you partners sat as a pillion at junctions? This is a concern so honest input appreciated, as assuming you are street savvy can leave you high and dry

Bless SQ for their baggage allowance, to 380 or not to 380 now that is the question?!

Many thanks in anticipation,

Last edited by SGPDiver; Feb 14th 2010 at 10:57 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:45 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

1. I would think you'd get the best deal for storage if you leave your belongings sealed in the container they're shipped in and with the company that ships them. Sorry I haven't done this myself but I do know people who have stored with the big shipping companies when they've been between jobs and countries.

If you are moving for just one year, seriously consider taking the bare minimum, and no treasured possessions/antiques. (Yes, books do deteriorate, as do photos.) We started again from scratch when we moved there as we had no idea where we'd be living, or how long it would last - our first condo was furnished. Horrendous, actually, so we soon moved to an unfurnished one as the landlady wouldn't remove her scary white melamine treasures. For such a short time you could consider leasing furniture or buying the bare essentials from Ikea or one of the many local alternatives. There are also expat leaving sales every other day, and teak furniture does the rounds for years. (I wonder where my sun loungers live now...)

2. Yes you're mad Singaporeans are generally terrible drivers and many a Malay worker has lost their life by being knocked off their motorbike as they make the trip to or from JB. I know a few ang mohs with motorbikes; just keep your wits about you and wear more than your shorts and singlet for protection.

3. Yes. Sg plates don't need to be marked, they are there for all to see. Police target them too and you will pay on the spot fines for speeding whether you were or not; just accept it. As to thieves - yes, you do hear a lot of stories. Car jackings, too. I think JB is a hell hole, so may be biased.

To meet fellow bikers go here http://www.timeoutsingapore.com/club...ars/handle-bar

4. To A380 of course.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

SGPDiver is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Seasider and thank you.

I was erring towards leaving the majority in storage in the UK, which now seems the simpler option. Once we have found the permanent residence, we can consider moving all over. In the meantime I'll just have to tea crate the minimum over, which unfortunately may be quite a bit. Just hope the furnished condo avoids my melamine allergy

The transport thing I will only be able to resolve by witnessing this on the ground, but appreciate and note the cautionary advice. I am very surprised to hear the Singapore police are as imaginative as the other AsiaPac countries with regard to fictitious fines - is there a set charge for trumped up speeding fines or is it discretionary to the issuing officer?

On a final note, very impressed with all the expat help being given, including those I have made contact with on the diving front too. Everyone is supportive and it really gives a good feel for the social aspect and settling in
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moving to Singapore 2

Originally Posted by SGPDiver

The transport thing I will only be able to resolve by witnessing this on the ground, but appreciate and note the cautionary advice. I am very surprised to hear the Singapore police are as imaginative as the other AsiaPac countries with regard to fictitious fines - is there a set charge for trumped up speeding fines or is it discretionary to the issuing officer?
Not sure what you mean by the above - but tbh you don't often see the transport police in Singapore. However there are red-light cameras in many places...the lights change very quickly from amber to green, more so than in the UK and US.

I was caught out once when there was a tropical rainstorm with a tremendous amount of surface water; I knew that if I braked I would most likely aquaplane, so I thought it safer not to stop. A few days later I got a S$150 fine in the mail.

I drove under the ERP gantry in Orchard Rd recently, I as I did so I realised that although I'd just topped up the cashcard, I'd forgotten to insert it into the IU....I was flying back to the States the next day, so I phoned up the traffic police to admit my 'crime'. I had to mail in a cheque for 50cents plus the $10 fine...

More than a decade ago we were taking our daughter to Changi airport and my spouse was speeding on the ECP. He was stopped for speeding....and had left his wallet in the office with his ID in. The cop wanted my spouse to follow him to the local police station (he wouldn't let him go in the cop car and let me drive our daughter to the airport, and she could have missed her flight...). Thank goodness I found a tatty photocopy of my husband's I/C card in the bottom of my handbag (no idea why it was there) but the cop was happy enough when he saw that, and let my husband continue on our journey but was told that "foreigners don't get special treatment in Singapore"..

One thing you never, ever do is try and bribe or bargain with a cop in Singapore, you will be in very deep sh1t indeed. It's the norm in Malaysia (been there, done that with a phoney 'on the spot fine') but it's a serious offence in Singapore (and likely to lead to a prison sentence). Just be respectful towards the police there, even if they only look about 16 years old lol!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:12 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SGPDiver
I am very surprised to hear the Singapore police are as imaginative as the other AsiaPac countries with regard to fictitious fines - is there a set charge for trumped up speeding fines or is it discretionary to the issuing officer?
Ah sorry, no, I have not been clear. That's the JB police, over the causeway. In Singapore you have to watch out for the litter police I've had a couple of friends fined lately for throwing cigarette butts on the floor (serves them right).

If it's divers you want, I know loads of those. Have you found the local diving forums?