Many, many questions....

Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Mstulip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Many, many questions....

Hi BB, sorry i don't think i'm in the best place to comment about Singaporean way of life we lived in Johor before as husband worked in Pasir Gudang. So most of the info i received mostly from local Johorean..
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Hi mstulip, don't worry too much about Singapore way of life. If you can survive in Malaysia in terms of culture you'll be fine in Singapore. In fact Singapore a lot more westernise than Malaysia.

Yes it's way more expensive to live in Singapore than Malaysia. Also the working hours are a bit longer, depend on individual. Apart from that Singapore is a very safe place to live, safer than Malaysia. No offence Malaysian.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Bethw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikki_13
Hello everyone, this is my first tentative post on here with all my worries & stresses about moving to Singapore...so here goes..

My husband is in the process of negotiating a job opportunity in Singapore (I dont actually know where yet) which I'm sure will be an amazing experience for him career wise but as a stay at home Mum to my daughter who is almost 2, I am full of concerns about this potential move.

My lifestyle is very English - if that even makes sense - I drive everywhere, have 2 dogs and a cat, very outdoorsy because I'm always walking the dogs, I love shopping, doing activities with my daughter (playdates etc), swimming, I am a keen runner (with the dogs mostly), we live in a detached house with big gardens, access to beautiful countryside within minutes which I adore and generally love my life here.

I'm not too sure how I will fit into this culture in Singapore? It scares me the thought of moving but this opportunity for my family could be an amazing one and my top priority is my daughter and bettering her life for the future so I am willing to make sacrifices for that.

Has anyone been in the same situation as me and made a successful transition to Singapore life? This might sound nuts but my pets are very important to me & I need to know if dog & cat owning are normal? Is it the 'done' thing? (Praying no one says they're more known for being on the local menus)

If you think you might be able to help me (OK reassure, placate, whatever) I'd be very, very appreciative!

Thank you for reading.
Nikki
Hi Nikki,

I am also potentially moving to Singapore in January and was wondering whether you had made any decisions in terms of schooling, location etc?

Also I am looking to bring my dog with me - are you doing the same or how are you handling that?

Sorry to trouble you as I guess you must be incredibly busy at the moment but would really appreciate your feedback

Thanks

Beth
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

nikki_13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Beth, we are looking at the area of Holland Village I think - my husband is in charge of all that as I haven't been over there and he has!

He has accepted his job offer so we will be moving over there about March time. Thankfully my daughter is only 2 so no need to worry myself with schools just yet..its just the accommodation and area has to be right.

Yes we are taking our 2 dogs and our cat! I will be getting their passports sorted soon (although I havent started anything yet as I know nothing of what needs to be done). We have to try and sell our house too - its all a bit overwhelming at the moment and its not really sunk in.

Sorry, I havent really been much help!

Do you have children?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Bethw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikki_13
Hi Beth, we are looking at the area of Holland Village I think - my husband is in charge of all that as I haven't been over there and he has!

He has accepted his job offer so we will be moving over there about March time. Thankfully my daughter is only 2 so no need to worry myself with schools just yet..its just the accommodation and area has to be right.

Yes we are taking our 2 dogs and our cat! I will be getting their passports sorted soon (although I havent started anything yet as I know nothing of what needs to be done). We have to try and sell our house too - its all a bit overwhelming at the moment and its not really sunk in.

Sorry, I havent really been much help!

Do you have children?
Hi Nikki,

Tell me about it, it genuinely feels like i am stuck in a whirlwind at the moment

I am leaving my cats here in the UK as they are both over 10 and the vet suggested they shouldn't make the move - heartbreaking for me but both are being rehomed to my best friend so I will see them regularly via Skype My children are ok with this as long as we take our Puppy (ok he is now 2 but a bit like the girls he will always be my baby)

To answer your question, yes I have 2 children, both girls, 9 and 12. They are so excited about this move and are actually researching their potential schools, accommodation etc.... The can't wait to experience a new culture although I have a sneaking suspicion that the pools etc may have a bearing on this

Feel free to PM me and it would be great when you move out to meet for a coffee - Good luck in sorting everything out ...
Old Nov 1st 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

How sad for you to leave your cats behind but lovely that your friend is going to have them! At least you know they will be in great hands

Thats sweet your girls are excited about it, from what I hear from people on here they will have an incredible time in Singapore which is lovely and makes the transition a little easier doesnt it!

I would love to meet you for coffee out there, that would be so nice thank you!

I will PM you now
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

lyndam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

we are also moving next year. We have a wee boy of 7, so have been doing a lot of research re schools etc

We have applied for Dover Court as i think the waiting list for Tanglin is two years.

Kind of looking at Holland Village/clementi area to live as we dont want ben to travel far for school.

My husband has worked there for a year and lives on Bukit Timah road, but is too busy for me

Hope everything works out okay

Lynda
x
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lynda and welcome to the forum. Holland Village used to be quite a lively expat location - maybe it still is. I'm a bit out of touch as I left Singapore in 2007.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lynda, thanks for replying Good luck with your move, we are also looking at Holland Village area! We have also been advised to get our little one on a school waiting list as soon as we get there because they are so long. Good luck with getting the school you want, I hope that goes well for you.

Keep in touch

BakedBean, thanks for keeping an eye on this thread, your knowledge and advice is so appreciated (by all I'm sure). Hope life is good with you!

Nikki

Originally Posted by lyndam
Hello

we are also moving next year. We have a wee boy of 7, so have been doing a lot of research re schools etc

We have applied for Dover Court as i think the waiting list for Tanglin is two years.

Kind of looking at Holland Village/clementi area to live as we dont want ben to travel far for school.

My husband has worked there for a year and lives on Bukit Timah road, but is too busy for me

Hope everything works out okay

Lynda
x
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:34 am
Just Joined

carlylou11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nikki_13 - How did the trip go for your hubby? Are you moving over?
I've only just joined BE so a few months late with the reply - Having grown up in Singapore I would say it's the best thing you can do for your little one! The level of eduction is incredible and the opportunities she will have at school (culturally/educationally/going on amazing trips etc) will set her up for the future. As a family you will be able to explore Asia regularly - it is very very easy to travel from Singapore and not too expensive especially on an expat package! I would also recommend living on the East Coast if you're an "outdoorsy" person. We spent 8+ years there and I still stay on the East Coast when I go back. - back to the point - are you coming over this way? If so then I can send some more information! Good luck
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlylou11
the opportunities she will have at school (culturally/educationally/going on amazing trips etc) )
Just on the school trips thingy.
There was an article in the papers here recently about two year olds going on a cultural trip to Japan.

Madness imo.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:55 am
Just Joined

carlylou11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Many, many questions....

Since I'm new I think you should forgive me for my naivety but what does imo mean?!!

Yep - The school trips are insane. Great experience for children though and boosts confidence big time! Also makes you a lot more aware of other cultures - not just by living in Singapore but seeing the areas around Asia and realising how unbelievably luck we are.
I think that is invaluable for children living in an Expat community such as Singapore where having a helper is the norm as is having your own pool and incredible holidays! As long as you stay grounded then the opportunities are endless!
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Carlylou11, thank you for asking after our progress!

Hubby's trip went very well thank you and yes, he loved it out there!

Thank you for your info on growing up there, its so lovely to hear such positive feedback about what we are about to experience - this is so daunting for me but reading your reply has boosted me incredibly so thank you. My daughter's happiness is paramount for me and to hear how wonderful the education system is very reassuring. Her education is so so important and I'm thrilled at the prospect of her having such wonderful opportunities and experiences. Can I ask, if you grew up there are you from Singapore or did your family move there from UK?

I think we are planning to live in Holland Village which isnt East Coast but surely it cant be too far away for us still to enjoy it - I cant get my head around how tiny this country is!

Your view on experiencing other cultures in Asia so as to stay appreciative of how Singapore life can be for expats is one I too share.

IMO means: in my opinion

We are shipping our cat and dog over with us which is proving a tad stressful at the moment as we keep getting conflicting advice about what the rules are so I think we are going to employ an agent to take care of it all for us - safer than trying to do it ourselves! We've got people are coming round tomorrow to give us a quote on shipping our furniture etc and my car goes back to the dealership tomorrow also - its all go!

Plus its my daughters 2nd birthday party at the weekend which I'm organising - oh what fun!

Hope to hear from you soon
Nikki
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
Just on the school trips thingy.
There was an article in the papers here recently about two year olds going on a cultural trip to Japan.

Madness imo.
Yes that sounds crazy for a two year old! But fantastic! That wouldnt happen in the UK.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterlee
Singapore is the beautiful country and I must you will never gonna miss your home country once you come to Singapore. It is a first world country and english is main spoken language. It is considered as the shopping paradise for people who love shopping. People are very friendly and also it's a best place to make your child future. There is nothing to worry as this country is similar to western countries. One thing you will see Singapore is very clean city also the economy of country is amongst the best in the world.
Except for the shopping bit this post is 10 years out of date.
imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.