Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Looking for insider Info please.

Looking for insider Info please.

Old Aug 18th 2013, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Question Looking for insider Info please.

Hi

We are heading to Singapore on Christmas Day from Oz. Are places normally shut I.e restaurants etc ? We are staying at Royal on Scott's.

Are there any good restaurants in the area.

Do you have a local website to get cheap deals like scoopon etc.

Any recommendations for airport transfer on Christmas Day.

Plans are

Arrive 6pm in Singapore have dinner go for a wonder.

Boxing Day head to universal and the water park until late
27th Lego land if its any good ?? Have a daughter who is 6. I know the UK one is great.

We are not fussy eaters but wondered if there was any real must do eateries there.

Thanks in advance

Carrianne
Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for insider Info please.

Originally Posted by Carrianne
We are not fussy eaters but wondered if there was any real must do eateries there.

Thanks in advance

Carrianne
Jumbo's

Try the chilli crab

Oh so hungry for it now
Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, places will be open but I would imagine a lot of the hotel restaurants and glitzy type restaurants will be packed for Christmas and those special price meals

If it's not monsooning, I'd be inclined just to step out and wander and see what you stumble across. There's loads of shopping malls around that area. If you want to eat cheap and local, walk around until you find a foodcourt.

Not sure but I thought that Jumbo's was on the East Coast? Please correct me if I am wrong. I would imagine that the roads and taxis would be quite busy on Christmas Day.

Enjoy
Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Jumbo's has at least 2 outlets.
One in the East Coast Food center the other in Clark Quay.
Just googling and I see there are now 6 outlets.
Expensive for what you get there these days.

But for special occasions then doable.

We or rather I love the atmosphere at Newton Circus.
But I'd never eat sea food there. Much too high priced. And some stalls have been known to con tourists.
One stall iirc charging over £100 for two prawns. Yeah they were the jumbo prawns but still.
And generally there if you have the chilli clams, a favourite of mine, then 50% of the clams will be empty. Which is one of those things I fail to understand because clams in wet markets are so cheap.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:30 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

So Mrs ExReg not so keen on Newton Circus then? . Where does she like?
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank for the info anyone have answers to the other questions I have found viator and street deals.

Anyone recommend a good transport company or a cheap place to buy universal tickets?

Thanks

Carrainne
Old Aug 20th 2013, 1:33 pm

Not sure what you mean by transport company? There should be plenty of taxis in the taxi rank at the airport I should think, if that is what you mean.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Anyone recommend a good transport company or a cheap place to buy universal tickets?

Thanks

Carrainne
You can buy tickets for the MRT which can also be used on the buses. Just ask at any MRT station. There is a non returnable deposit on the ticket. But iirc any journey made within 30 min of the previous one whether bus or MRT means you get a discount.

And bb it's not that my missus dislikes Newton Circus it's just that everytime I suggest it she says. 'not again' even though we only go there 2 or 3 times a year.

Muthu's in Little India is the best of the Banana Leaf restaurants for us, the fish head curry being estupendo.

There are some small restaurants around Coronation Plaza, Thai, Peranakan, Cantonese which she enjoys. Also 'Ivins' although there is only one branch left in Singapore these days.
The Black Sheep is a must for their Duck Confit. It's moved from Little India and the Chef moved first to Mason's near Depot Rd and now he's moved to a new restaurant in Macpherson iirc which we'll no doubt visit after September.
My missus is a well renowned expert on Duck Confit always eating it when we are in France and she reckons the one cooked by the Black Sheep chef, Ratha, is the best, by far.
Up in Penang the one we both liked was The Bagan although that is no more. Also 'The Crab House' just along at the west end of from Tanjong Bungah.

But she really enjoys my cooking the most. Really. And it's her measuring stick when we eat out.

Anyway a second coat of paint in the dining room awaits.