Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Leasing a car in Sinagpore

Leasing a car in Sinagpore

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a car in Sinagpore

Originally Posted by Bocat
Hi CazYaz

It's for purchase. You'll pay more for leasing but then your servicing, road tax and insurance are included.

Another tip - try and find your own insurance if you buy. The company we bought from were coming up with quotes of around $2000 but my husband got it himself - through Aviva I think - for just under $600.

The car only has 4 years left on it's CoE (do you know about the CoE?) Therefore the loan is over 4 years at which point the car will be handed over to the government who then give us some money back (I can't remember how much).
You could pay another S$60,000 or £30,000 for another 10 years CoE.

I'll probably be doing that.
Depends on how CoE goes though.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
You could pay another S$60,000 or £30,000 for another 10 years CoE.

I'll probably be doing that.
Depends on how CoE goes though.
I don't think I fancy paying $30-$60k for another CoE for a (by then) 10 year old Kia Picanto!!

I didn't know you could extend the CoE though - thanks for the info.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bocat
I don't think I fancy paying $30-$60k for another CoE for a (by then) 10 year old Kia Picanto!!

I didn't know you could extend the CoE though - thanks for the info.
That's £30,000 or S$60,000

You can extend for just 5 years but that doesn't allow you to extend any further.
If you extend for the 10 years then you can extend further after that 10 years is over.

The cost of the extension is based on the average of the past 3 years CoE so if CoE goes down, it was only S$12,000 iirc when I bought my car new, then of course extending will be cheaper.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ex reg
That's £30,000 or S$60,000

You can extend for just 5 years but that doesn't allow you to extend any further.
If you extend for the 10 years then you can extend further after that 10 years is over.

The cost of the extension is based on the average of the past 3 years CoE so if CoE goes down, it was only S$12,000 iirc when I bought my car new, then of course extending will be cheaper.
S$60k for 5yrs might as well scrap it and buy another one. The local second hand dealer try to make a killing while the COE is sky high.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
S$60k for 5yrs might as well scrap it and buy another one. The local second hand dealer try to make a killing while the COE is sky high.
It would be half the ten year CoE for a 5 year period.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

CazYaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for responses - we shall be there soon, so we shall see.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:56 am
Just Joined

jaraad presto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

just got myself registered with the forum. read through your chat. the responses have been good from people. If I may add in, in all mathematical scenarios, the purchasing route is the most cost effective ! its about getting the right safe , cheap car that comes with a after-sales service till the end, you are good to go. I am in the motoring line, I should. Give me shout out< if you need any help.

jaraad presto