lack of visa query

Old May 1st 2014, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Alcatel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lack of visa query

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working in the UK in Finance and I'm on the verge of quitting my job! For the last number of months I've been sending my CV off to various agencies in Singapore trying to secure employment but not having much luck. The response I'm receiving is that I really need to be on the ground in Singapore.

My question is surrounding visas. Is it possible for me to arrive in Singapore and try to secure work? What pitfalls should i be aware of?

I had planned to live outside the city (hopefully cheaper) and commute in for interviews until I get settled.

Do you think that this is a reasonable plan?

Last edited by Alcatel; May 1st 2014 at 9:13 am.
Old May 1st 2014, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lack of visa query

Don't quit your job until you have another lined up.

OK I did it twice when I decided to take 3 year 'sabaticals'.

But the employment prospects in my industry were good at that time.

Unless a company can say to you we have a job open but would like to see you and chat in person then anything else is just pie in the sky.

In fact if they are that interested they would pay the airfare to see you.
Which 3 companies did for me AND the missus, flying us Business class from Singapore to Paris and then on to London because they cocked up the interview times and 2 other companies flying me UK to Hong Kong and UK to Singapore.

I wasn't imo anything special either.

HK used to be more ex pat oriented in the Finance industry.
Old May 1st 2014, 1:04 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there and welcome to the forum

Any reason why you're set on finding work in Singapore, rather than anywhere else? Just curious.
Old May 1st 2014, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hello there and welcome to the forum

Any reason why you're set on finding work in Singapore, rather than anywhere else? Just curious.
Hi there, thanks. No particular reason only I 'heard' good things about it and its sounds like an interesting place. I'd really like a cultural change and figured this might ease me into it. I guess id be open to any other country in asia though
Old May 1st 2014, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
Don't quit your job until you have another lined up.

OK I did it twice when I decided to take 3 year 'sabaticals'.

But the employment prospects in my industry were good at that time.

Unless a company can say to you we have a job open but would like to see you and chat in person then anything else is just pie in the sky.

In fact if they are that interested they would pay the airfare to see you.
Which 3 companies did for me AND the missus, flying us Business class from Singapore to Paris and then on to London because they cocked up the interview times and 2 other companies flying me UK to Hong Kong and UK to Singapore.

I wasn't imo anything special either.

HK used to be more ex pat oriented in the Finance industry.
Thanks for the advice but my current job is making me ill! I really need a change. Anyway, I'd have no problems getting into Singapore with a one way ticket and no visa? I guess this was my original question. HK sounds appealing to but also have no idea of the protocols. cheers
Old May 1st 2014, 1:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You can just get the visa stamp on arrival as a tourist. Bear in mind you will have to put on arrival card Where you are staying and for how many days. Also note that Singapore is an expensive place these days. Ex Reg can advise better than me, as I only pop down for the odd weekend these days but that is expensive enough.

You talk of one way ticket. So...what is your plan if you do not secure work? Singapore is very hot on Immigration. Where will you live? Think you may need a valid visa to get a rental contract. Ex Reg or others can confirm.

Might be worth checking out the MOM website (Ministry of Manpower) for current rules and regulations. I'm not up to date with info as I haven't worked in Singapore for a few years now. There may be other Gov sites with info.
Old May 1st 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Think you may need a valid visa to get a rental contract.
Work permit or Employment pass.
iirc.