Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

StevenH72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

OK, well hopefully you are right.

Have you got a statutory declaration / affidavit notarised? Where did you get it done?

We are compiling a list documenting our relationship too, mortgages, joint bank accounts etc. hoping it might help.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

curlysmith is an unknown quantity at this point

We haven't yet got a statutory declaration but I have spoken to a Notary back in the UK (where we're both from, just we live in Switzerland currently) and they told me it would be no problem for them to notarise such a document. You don't need proof, unless the Notary thinks there is something amiss.

I have read that people have had them done by the High Commission too, and I wonder if that might look better to Immigration in SG?

Once everything is confirmed with his work we will be heading to the UK to get the document sorted then to SG so I'll let you know the outcome.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

I'm sure using the High Commission would really help, but as the email I copied in to my earlier post said, they are not able to notarise any declarations as Common Law relationships are not recognised in the UK.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 4:00 am
Just Joined

stevecherry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi curleysmith. What was the outcome of the potential issue with a past drink/driving conviction affecting your SG Visa application? Just curious, for the same reason.....
Old Nov 15th 2014, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Just as an update on my situation, for anybody interested.

As above, I have been granted an EP1, my partner and I are not married but last week her application for an LTVP (attached to my EP) was approved.

In addition to the usual information required for LTVP application, we submitted a notarised affidavit, copies of our previous cohabitation agreements (dating back 3 years) and also copies of our council tax bills, in both of our names documenting our cohabiting.

Hope that helps anybody else in a similar situation.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Well I am pleased for you but I was not so lucky. My application was rejected and the reason they gave was not because of my conviction but because we are not married. They will not allow an appeal. It is clearly dependent on how they feel on any given day.

I am in SG anyway and hoping they give me another 3 months when I come back from Thailand over Xmas. Finger crossed, otherwise we are Hong Kong bound.

Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Sorry to hear that Curly. What information did you provide to the MoM?

You said your partner is on the highest income bracket, so I doubt that would have made any difference? In the end I took the advice of a friend of a friend, who was in the same position, so provided exactly what he did.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Just a statutory declaration. Couldn't provide any bills in joint names as it was all in his name. It just wasn't possible to provide anything further.

Doesn't matter now since they changed the law and there is no longer any right to appeal. We have a friend who works for immigration and she has confirmed there is nothing we can do. Hey ho, life goes on! I am gutted though. Don't want to end up in Hong Kong and if I keep re-entering I really don't want to be interrogated!
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Ah, that is a real shame, sorry things didn't work out. No signs of a shotgun wedding?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:43 am
Just Joined

He's not up for it unfortunately. He wants to wait till we are settled in Italy (we are buying a house there).

How long are you and your good lady going to be in Singapore?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:44 am
Just Joined

We'll be there indefinitely hopefully. Obviously we only have a 2 year stint with then EP / LTVP provisionally, but we are hoping to be there for a good while.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Wow, good for you! Enjoy!