Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

curlysmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

Hi,

This is my first post here. Such an informative forum!

My partner and I are considering moving to Singapore. He will have a visa through his job (and will be on the highest income bracket) so I will need to get an LTVP (we're not married). His contract there will be 18 months.

I have had a look at the form and it asks about ever having been convicted in a court of law in any country. Well, the answer is yes. I was convicted of drink driving (I know, I know) in 2008. I have a DR10 on my license.

So, is it worth us even bothering to try to get a visa for me? He will have no problems but if I can't go then we will just stay here in Switzerland (we are both British). The meetings with his employers are happening this week and once they have given it the go ahead (which is most likely going to be a yes) then we have to decide. I want to go but it's certainly not worth going to all the hassle if they will just reject me.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:54 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

Hello....just to say Welcome to the forum

I hope that the good folks in Singapore will be able to answer your question.

If you don't get an answer...... I'm just wondering, and especially as it's such a short contract, whether it is worth mentioning such a conviction. Maybe have temporary amnesia on that one. I presume that you won't be driving in Singapore anyway, so who would be interested?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Hi bakedbean

Thanks for your response.

The question clearly asks if one has EVER been convicted in ANY court of law and from what I have read previously, they are quite strict on their checks so it's not worth lying. From what I can gather, they WILL find out and it certainly looks worse to lie about a minor conviction than to just admit to it. I have also read that they let people in with convictions so I was wondering what sort of thing they might reject. I don't personally think that it's grounds to reject my visa application but I was hoping for some sort of anecdotal evidence or something.

Also, you presume wrong. I would be driving. If they told me I wasn't allowed then I guess the other half would have to do all the driving but it would be best if that weren't the case.

Thanks.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Hannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond reputeHannieroo has a reputation beyond repute

I think they would view it as spent, I doubt you'd be the only one. But I would check the driving thing, here you have to convert your license within 12 months and I wouldn't be surprised if you can't do a straight convert.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:56 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

Originally Posted by curlysmith
Hi,

This is my first post here. Such an informative forum!

My partner and I are considering moving to Singapore. He will have a visa through his job (and will be on the highest income bracket) so I will need to get an LTVP (we're not married). His contract there will be 18 months.

I have had a look at the form and it asks about ever having been convicted in a court of law in any country. Well, the answer is yes. I was convicted of drink driving (I know, I know) in 2008. I have a DR10 on my license.

So, is it worth us even bothering to try to get a visa for me? He will have no problems but if I can't go then we will just stay here in Switzerland (we are both British). The meetings with his employers are happening this week and once they have given it the go ahead (which is most likely going to be a yes) then we have to decide. I want to go but it's certainly not worth going to all the hassle if they will just reject me.

Any advice appreciated.
Hello.....from Zug, Switzerland! (We relocated here from our 2nd expat posting in Singapore ). Which Canton are you resident in?

Do not omit disclosing your conviction as it will almost certainly come back and 'bite you in the bum'. I assume that you didn't go to prison but were maybe banned from driving for a while?

If I were you I would make a phone call to the Singapore High Commission in London and make an informal enquiry about your situation and ask if they can advise 'off the record' that they will definitely reject you or not (although I doubt it, as your conviction was not for a drug offence or prostitution, theft, fraud, murder/manslaughter for example).

The first time we lived in Singapore we were able to just get new driving licences on production of our British ones (which we retained). The second time - even though I still have my old expired Sing licence - the legislation had changed; all expat drivers resident in Singapore need to take the theory test (not a practical) on production of their overseas driving licence (which the expat still retains) within 12 months of moving there. You just go to a driving test centre and sit in a room with about 30 others and take the test on a computer screen. You can pay extra to have a practice session for an hour beforehand - I did so.

TBH it is not strictly necessary to have a car in Singapore as the island is about the same size as the Isle of Wight but with nearly 5 million people living there....it is often a hassle to park anywhere and hardly any free parking places even for supermarket shopping, going to the Post Office or bank etc. (and very expensive fees in the Orchard Rd shopping malls/CBD). Local driving standards are appalling and I must warn you that it can be frustrating - there seems to be little spatial awareness, they cut you up and don't let you in if you need to take an exit.

There are thousands upon thousands of motorcyclists (wearing jackets back to front ), many coming in for the day from Malaysia to work - they sneak in front and to the side of you at traffic lights and then pull away very slowly. Traffic jams are now frequent even outside peak hours due to the huge increase in population.

Personally I found that it was often more convenient to just leave the car at home and take a bus, taxi or MRT if going out for a few hours....a car was useful though if I was going to the British Club which is on a steep hill far from a main road, you would need to call and book a taxi from the club if not taking their minibus down to Bukit Timah.

Btw - on our first posting out there it was supposed to be for 12-18 months...we ended up staying for 5.5 years!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks Hannieroo

Englishmum - Thank you so much for you very concise response! We are based in Aargau. We love it here but I am really hopeful about going to Singapore. New adventures and all that.

I will definitely make a call to the High Commission. Great suggestion.

You are correct, I didn't go to prison and I was banned for a year. I was actually only JUST over the limit. Two pints Was shit beer too but hey ho, I was still in the wrong and I paid the price!

Obviously I wouldn't lie to immigration as it's just not worth it. I know they would find out and that would make my chances of getting a visa virtually impossible. I don't honestly think that my conviction would be a problem but it is nice to get some info on it. Like I said in my original post, it would just be silly to accept an offer to go out there if I can't get a visa. The last thing I want is to end up being on a different continent to my SO!

On the issue of driving out there, I am quite happy not to have a car, it's just something that we might end up doing. I am well versed in terrible driving as I lived in Calabria for a couple of years (and we actually plan on being there full time in the future). Italian drivers are terrible and it is particularly bad in the south! I appreciate that it could be a hell of an experience driving in Singapore, though.

As you are not that far away, I wonder if you might be open to meeting up so I can pick your brains about Singapore a bit further? It'd be good to talk to someone with experience of the place.

Anyway, thanks again for you input. Auf Wiedersehen, pet! (yes, I actually am a Geordie...)
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:08 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How strict is immigration about convictions - LTVP

Thanks Hannieroo

Englishmum - Thank you so much for you very concise response! We are based in Aargau. We love it here but I am really hopeful about going to Singapore. New adventures and all that.

I will definitely make a call to the High Commission. Great suggestion.

You are correct, I didn't go to prison and I was banned for a year. I was actually only JUST over the limit. Two pints Was shit beer too but hey ho, I was still in the wrong and I paid the price!

Obviously I wouldn't lie to immigration as it's just not worth it. I know they would find out and that would make my chances of getting a visa virtually impossible. I don't honestly think that my conviction would be a problem but it is nice to get some info on it. Like I said in my original post, it would just be silly to accept an offer to go out there if I can't get a visa. The last thing I want is to end up being on a different continent to my SO!

On the issue of driving out there, I am quite happy not to have a car, it's just something that we might end up doing. I am well versed in terrible driving as I lived in Calabria for a couple of years (and we actually plan on being there full time in the future). Italian drivers are terrible and it is particularly bad in the south! I appreciate that it could be a hell of an experience driving in Singapore, though.

As you are not that far away, I wonder if you might be open to meeting up so I can pick your brains about Singapore a bit further? It'd be good to talk to someone with experience of the place.

Anyway, thanks again for you input. Auf Wiedersehen, pet! (yes, I actually am a Geordie...)
Sure, just send me a Private Message and we can arrange something
Old Jul 11th 2014, 1:28 am
Just Joined

DelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to behold

If you are going to call the High Commission, discuss with them the possibility of you getting a LTVP. The rules changed in March 2014 and you now need an affidavit if you are British and as far as I am aware, they are not approving them for common law marriage which will mean you will not be able to get the LTVP. I was in this boat and am now back in Australia while my partner is still in Singapore.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi DelilahBlue,

Thanks for your input. I was not aware that the rules changed in March but the MoM website clearly states that Employment Pass or S-Pass holders can apply for an LTVP for their 'common-law spouse'. Now, this is not legally recognised in Britain but there are plenty of people out there that have managed to do it by providing a statutory declaration stating they were in a 'common-law' relationship, which was notarised by a UK notary, or in some cases, the High Commission themselves.

Did you provide this with your application and it was still rejected? I wish there was some more clear information out there!

Cheers.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:08 am
Just Joined

DelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to behold

Hi Curlysmith,

Yes, it was rejected. I should have applied in February like I had planned with a Stat Dec but instead headed back to Australia for a break. When I returned, the rules had changed. I understand that there are others who were able to supply the stat dec before March and all was ok, but then I am not sure how that will change when the LTVP is due for renewal.

All the best.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply DeliliahBlue.

I have emailed MoM and they say they will consider me for an LTVP if I have a statutory declaration. Not sure if there is much likelihood but I am going to visit anyway and apply. Fingers crossed!

Failing that, we're gonna go to Hong Kong for 6 months!
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

StevenH72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply DeliliahBlue.

I have emailed MoM and they say they will consider me for an LTVP if I have a statutory declaration. Not sure if there is much likelihood but I am going to visit anyway and apply. Fingers crossed!

Failing that, we're gonna go to Hong Kong for 6 months!
I'm in this exact situation. My partner and I are moving over to SG in January.

I have a job offer and will be getting an EP, but we aren't married and she'll need a LTVP.

My monthly salary will be ~S$14,500 and I've read that salary level does make a difference to applications.

I had planned to get a statutory declaration for our "common law" relationship status.

Seems a bit ridiculous to refuse an application on the basis that we're not married. We've been together for 7 years, have lived together for 5 and have had joint bank accounts / mortgages to verify this period.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll also be following this thread with great interest.

Good luck
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Steven,

We should be heading out there in the next month or two so I will let you know how it goes!

Curly
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

StevenH72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah OK, so you haven't actually applied for your LTVP as yet?

I contacted the BHC earlier in the week and received a pretty damning reply:

"Thank you for your email regarding a notarised affidavit for a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) for your partner.

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore recently changed their requirements for LTVP and they now require the Embassy or High Commission of the applicants home country to confirm that they recognise the common law relationship.

In the UK, the term common law spouse/relationship has no legal standing and is not recognised by the UK authorities. I am sorry but this means that the High Commission is unable to issue a letter confirming your common law partnership nor can we witness a sworn affidavit.

I am sorry but we have no way of influencing or interfering in Singapore immigration policies, just as we would not expect the Singapore authorities to interfere in UK immigration policy. The only options open to you are:

• To get married, as your wife your partner would then be eligible for a dependant pass.
• For your partner to continue to visit on short term visit passes , though the number and frequency of entries would be at the discretion of Singapore Immigration.
• For your partner to obtain a visa in her own right."

We are engaged and were planning to marry next year, so we may have to delay the application for a LTVP and apply for a dependents pass next year. Could be a few lonely months in SG for me.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

No, I haven't applied but I wrote to MOM a few weeks back and they said that they would consider my application despite our not being married. It is all done case by case.

I have to go there to apply though. They certainly don't make it easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.