Help - Housing

Old Apr 19th 2015, 9:54 am
Just Joined

lukesteve123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Housing

Hi my name is Luke,

I am currently in Singapore awaiting a job at MBS. I have a week till I start work and I am looking for a 2 bedroom place for my wife and daughter.

Can anyone help in where the best places are to look and best sites to look on. I am looking on property guru at property's in the range of $2000 - $2500 a month, Also how much should I budget for utilities ect!

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Housing

That's not much of a budget.
Accommodation would either have to be a long way from MBS or in an old property.

You might look in the Straits Times pages and find an agent from there who seems to deal in lower price range properties.

Utilities will depend on how much you have the a/c on.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Ok sure, thanks - out of interest what would be a good budget!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Well 5 years ago we owned a 2 bedroom condo and we rented it out at S$6500 per month furnished.
That wa higher ended and in a good location.

You want to look at areas on the MRT lines I suppose and depending on the age of your daughter nearer to her school than your work if she is of schooling age.
There is so much choice that it is not really worth suggesting areas until you've narrowed things down a bit yourself.

S$4000pm would give you more choice.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

$6500 Ok well that's almost double my wage, even if I was GM at around $6500/7000 that would only just cover that! I am on my own looking at the minute my wife and child are still in England planning on coming over in three weeks.

Schools yes that's the next thing.

I have a few viewings in the next couple of days, we will see what happens.

Many thanks for your advise
Old Apr 19th 2015, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Schools should really be the first thing.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

How come!!!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Because they are so difficult to enroll into and unless you are lucky your daughter may have to travel a long way from your accommodation if you choose accommodation first.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

I see, that's Interesting and useful.

Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:00 am
Just Joined

OK so I have covered a lot of ground since my last post & yes your right 2000/2500 is not going to get me what I would expect. So this leads me onto my next question!
Should my pay be the same as in England or is the significant reduction in my wage out here normal. I am about £10+ thousand UK pounds less than I would be paid back home.
My trade is Catering, Management.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you move from UK for less money, especially in a relatively expensive place like singapore?
I could understand it if you were single , wishing to improve your CV and living in the hotel etc where you were working.
Did you not compare some costings before accepting the position?
Cost of Living is good site to start.
Scratches head trying to understand.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:54 am
Just Joined

The job offer is very very good and will look amazing on my resume, however its not just that but I traveled to Singapore back in December 2014 and feel in love with it, So its three key fact the person I work for, the place of which it is and living in Singapore.
I was offered a high paid job in London and went for this job instead.
If it all falls through, never mind still have a house in the UK and I will get another job, plus all over here is paid for, for the mean time.
But what I dont get is how come the wage over here for some sector is not very good seeming living is quite high,
Thank you for the link
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because they can get locally qualified people , or other nationalities who will work for that salary. Here in the Philippines, unless you are transferred by your company who continue to pay you at the UK rate, then you'll come nowhere near a UK salary as there are so many locals trained in catering , or hospitality , so £500 a MONTH is considered good!! Plus it's almost impossible to get a job here other than via inter company transfer as a foreigner.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:22 am
Just Joined

OH OK well I am being paid quite a lot more than £500
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

If you are sure it will improve your cv significantly and you are sure you'll be able to manage living in adequate but not good housing and your child will be OK at school then discuss the offer, see if you can get it improved because of cost of living in Singapore, it was only a month or so ago Singapore was voted the most expensive city in the world, and then either take it or not.

If at the end of 2 years or so you come out with much much better experience and your family have been happy then you're a winner.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.