Healthcare

Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

britishblondie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare

Hi all

I move out to Singapore in 2 months and am trying to start getting organised! Coming from the UK i am used to the NHS system!

How does healthcare work in SG? I payed for my health checks as a one off but with regards to doctors appointments A/E visits etc is it best/possible to pay as you go, or is insurance needed?

No healthcare included with my job

Thank in advance everyone!
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare

I'd say A&E has the same sort of waiting time as UK.

There's three levels of payment at Polyclinics
That for Sing Citizens
That for PRs
That for those on WPs etc.

You can make an appointment at Polyclinics but I always find the waiting time with an appointment little different from a walk in.
After you've seen a doctor you then have to queue/wait for the pharmacy and then queue/wait to make payment.

Of course you can go along to the private clinics, there are quite a few large ones associated with private hospitals but once you're in that system for something specific you tend to have to follow the costs associated with private treatment.

Somewhere on here I've noted my own 'horror stories' with the private system here.
I've had some good experiences the public sector.

It's horses for courses though and up to the individual and what you might think is your problem.

One or two posters have good experiences but they were insured.

Because I spend half my time in UK I decided against medical insurance since I retired and I'm still OK with that.

Even though I'm fine without insurance I'd recommend medical insurance to anyone working in Singapore.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid Polyclinics if you can.
also expect Doctors to over prescribe drugs. They also dispense the drugs and Ferraris are expensive to run
Old Jul 15th 2014, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

dean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to behold

You must have health insurance. If you have an accident or a serious injury it will be very expensive. Try a local company like AXA. Its cheaper than BUPA but the coverage is still good. You can get out-patient cover on top which includes a set number of cut price visits to the doctor.

Get used to the fact that there is no health provision for foreigners here unless you pay!
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

aaynoor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you your post helped me clearing my confusion.