Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Family accommodation in Singapore

Family accommodation in Singapore

Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough
Default Family accommodation in Singapore

Hello, I'm stopping in Singapore on my way to immigrate to New Zealand, but am having difficulty finding a hotel to stay for a week that will provide us with a family room for myself, my husband and two children. Are there rules in Singapore whereby you can only have three people in a room.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Gina
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:40 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family accommodation in Singapore

I'm not sure if it was on this forum or another I frequent but I've seen this one recommended for family rooms:

http://www.orchardparade.com.sg

I know the location and it's very handy, right at the top of Orchard Road which is the main shopping strip, plenty of restaurants and cafes in the vicinity too. It's not close to tourist attractions but there's a bus stop over the road, and Orchard MRT is about ten minutes walk away.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your reply, I've checked out that hotel and you are only allowed 3 in the family room, you've got to book a suite if there's four of you, as my kids are only 3 and 2 years old we don't need that much room. Am now thinking of just getting an internal flight up to Malaysia where the accommodation looks more affordable. Thanks for your help. Cheers, Gina
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:43 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Really? That's ridiculous, and frankly quite bizarre in a country where families of ten live in two room flats!

I'll ask my forum members and see if I can get any better recommendations; get back to you. A week in Malaysia with little ones might be a bit much, even in KL.

When are you coming? Chinese New Year public holiday this year is 7/8 Feb and a lot of people leave town. It's the biggest festival of the year and the run up to it is fun (Chinatown will be heaving) but the couple of weeks after are a bit dead. The main shopping areas never close, of course.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:28 am
Auntie Fa

Hi again Gina. The mums on my forum recommend hotels with interconnecting rooms or, seeing as you are stopping a week, a serviced apartment. There are definitely tons of the latter, as that's where most expats start out when they arrive here.

Have you asked any of the hotels directly, or just via the web/agents? I think you might have better look ringing some if you haven't already. It really does sound strange to me that they won't let 2 children under 12 share a family room.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hello, thanks for your reply. No I haven't contact any of the hotels directly I've just been looking on their websites, I will contact them directly now though.

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers,
Gina
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

hongwee is an unknown quantity at this point

If you haven't found accommodation yet, I'd like to recommend this - http://www.downtowneast.com.sg/index/index.aspx

It's a resort mainly for local families to have a stayover or BBQ over the weekend, but it's open for everyone. They're all one-room chalets but they're big enough for 4 adults, and lots of room for the kids to run around.

The non-member price is lower than any decent hotel out there. The only downside is the location. It's at the eastern end of the island. You'd need to take the train to the last (or first, depending on how you look at it) station ("Pasir Ris" on the East-West line, then take a bus (it's free, provided by the resort). There's a timetable at their website.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:17 am
Just Joined

auntychang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ginabridget
Hello, I'm stopping in Singapore on my way to immigrate to New Zealand, but am having difficulty finding a hotel to stay for a week that will provide us with a family room for myself, my husband and two children. Are there rules in Singapore whereby you can only have three people in a room.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Gina
Have you found accomodation? If not try some of these:
Metropole Hotel - Centrally located, fairly priced with MRT near by
Hotel Hamiliton - Central
Royal Peacock - Chinatown! (MRT nearby)

Your kids are still pretty young, It will not be an issue for 4 in a room

Have fun and enjoy your stay