Durian question

Old Sep 25th 2013, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of
Default Durian question

Hi

Can someone tell me where I can eat durians ?
I know where to buy them (see them around) but where can I EAT them (after I buy them ?)

Where I live at the moment bans them.

Xx
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Durian question

You can eat them at the stall you buy them from.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:50 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ALMOST interested enough in these to give one a go when we finally get to SIngapore but the description of smelling like 'wet socks' does put me off somewhat. Presumably you can eat them in a park or other open space?! Be sure to report back
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Akchewlee I don't know any condos or HDBs that ban eating them.

Hotels of course will ban them.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:17 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about wet socks. I think they smell like a toilet. Has always put me off eating the stuff, though loads of people love them. I suppose I'll have to give it a go one of these days.

Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I found their taste to be between a pear and an onion. Edible, but not a fan. They can be eaten on the beach or other outdoor places.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Service apartments & hotels generally have a "No Durians Allowed" rule. There are stalls that have makeshift tables where you can consume the durians right there and then upon purchase - kinda of a good idea too, because if a particular durian tasted "flat" or "off", you could usually get a 1-for-1 replacement
Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I haven't had the opportunity to do this durian thing... It is quite a feat on how I am going to be carrying that stuff on the MRT, brush my teeth and change my clothes after the grand finish.

I figure JB might be a better place to do it than sing...no durian rules ! and since I am already planning an escape across the causeway..
Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Oh, by the way, those fire balls !

I saw those at this mall. the sweet lady behind the counter tried to sell me some of those (fried durians they are) ; they remind me of petroleum.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 4:08 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Durian - " The King of Fruits "

I'm a fan as you might guess from my avatar . There are about 200 different varieties of durian and some of the rarer ones could go for 200+GBP . I've been to a few durian fairs and the ice-cream is not bad too .

It's a bit like Guinness in that it's a meal in itself . I could quite happily sit with a few beers and a few segments . The softer and creamier the better !
Old Sep 29th 2013, 4:41 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

the biggest durian in the world !
Attached Thumbnails Durian question-esplanade-sgforums-com1.jpg  
Old Sep 29th 2013, 8:17 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Durian - " The King of Fruits "

I'm a fan as you might guess from my avatar . There are about 200 different varieties of durian and some of the rarer ones could go for 200+GBP . I've been to a few durian fairs and the ice-cream is not bad too .

It's a bit like Guinness in that it's a meal in itself . I could quite happily sit with a few beers and a few segments . The softer and creamier the better !

Agreed. They are delicious, with a soft custardy texture.

If anyone hasn't tried one, man up and get past the smell and it will never bother you again.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Not sure whether manning up could get you past the smell but I certainly think for many it is a love/hate thing.

Another lovely lady tried selling me durian coffee today. (...nope !)
The durian ice cream was a complete turn off even from a distance.

But caught a wiff of that thorny beast outside a fair a day ago .... a completely different experience.

I would say different strokes for different folks !
Old Sep 29th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Tired it and hated it. It smelt like rotting onions x dead body amd didn't taste much better. Belched for hours after and it stunk. An experience never to be repeated
Old Sep 29th 2013, 5:14 pm

Check out this whopper , feed a family for a week !
Attached Thumbnails Durian question-durian.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.