Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

doing business in singapour!

doing business in singapour!

Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:35 am
Just Joined

mangowoodman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default doing business in singapour!

hi to all.
can anyone help me out and give me some advise,on doing business in singapour.basicly i just want to open a small shop(home decor).i need to know what needs to be done .....do i have to set up a company?do i have to employ a number of singaporieans?......any advise would be great.
iam an english man living in chiang mai thailand,i have a company here and a online shopping service......but i really want to come to singapour and open a shop.thanks alot
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:57 am
Just Joined

TPShiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: doing business in singapour!

Originally Posted by mangowoodman
hi to all.
can anyone help me out and give me some advise,on doing business in singapour.basicly i just want to open a small shop(home decor).i need to know what needs to be done .....do i have to set up a company?do i have to employ a number of singaporieans?......any advise would be great.
iam an english man living in chiang mai thailand,i have a company here and a online shopping service......but i really want to come to singapour and open a shop.thanks alot
Hello,

I am at Singapore. In case you wish to start a small shop, you need to
register a business form. Business forms are (1) Sole Proprietor, (2) Partnership and (3) Private Company. Since you may not be a Singapore
Citizen or a Singapore Permanent Resident, you will have to start a Partnership firm or a Private Company, according to Singapore Company Regualtions.

You will need to declare the Amount of Money you wish to Invest into Singapore while you arrange to Register your Business at Singapore.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:51 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Before you can register your business, you will need to have an Employment Pass or EntrePass Employment Pass (for entrepreneurs). Got to Ministry of Manpower website to download forms. It is not a short process I'm afraid.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Before you can register your business, you will need to have an Employment Pass or EntrePass Employment Pass (for entrepreneurs). Got to Ministry of Manpower website to download forms. It is not a short process I'm afraid.

KatongKaren thank you for updating me the present processes if that is what
you meant by your response in your posting. Great job in being an Ambassador of Singapore. Goodluck and Cheers.
Old May 3rd 2007, 6:53 am
Just Joined

feztus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: doing business in (singapour)! singapore!

by the way, mango wood is probably very saturated in singapore already, trust you are not thinking about bringing such stuff.. with the cheap fares to bangkok like $5 even sometimes, one way, many singapore vendors are bringing tons of "whatever" from thailand. might pay to go up to china and teach english, you probably make more money than singapore. in this way, you will have money to visit singapore like a regular tourist and consumer or do your visa run...
Old May 10th 2007, 6:19 am
Just Joined

mangowoodman is an unknown quantity at this point

feztus....thanks for the imfomation that singapour might!already have a lot of mangowood alredy.....but you dont even know what i sell!and i have a very good company selling and whole sale to europe and usa.....just want to come and check out singapour and see if it can work.i have only been there one time before about 3 years ago...i thnk its a cool city and has good business opertuities.
go to china and teach english!!!....what are you talking about??you must have me confusded with somebody eles,iam not a english teacher.and how do you know how much money i earn!!to say i will earn more in china!!!

i have been running my own business for 8 years now!and been living in south east asia for 3 years.

thanks for the imfo on singapour....

Last edited by mangowoodman; May 10th 2007 at 6:22 am.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:28 am
Just Joined

feztus is an unknown quantity at this point

just an assumption. looks like you know what you are trying to do. all the best.
Old May 26th 2007, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Good luck Mangowoodman in your Singapore business if you do it. Singapore is a lot of things - it is not perfect (no place is) but from my experience it is a great place to run a business.

To TPShiva, thanks for the compliment but not sure I'm an Ambassador for Singapore. I'm leaving soon!
Old May 26th 2007, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Good luck Mangowoodman in your Singapore business if you do it. Singapore is a lot of things - it is not perfect (no place is) but from my experience it is a great place to run a business.

To TPShiva, thanks for the compliment but not sure I'm an Ambassador for Singapore. I'm leaving soon!

Katongkaren when people like you leave Singapore, I think it is a loss.
However wherever you are going to, you can still help those wanting to come to Singapore still. Can I ask you where are to going to? Please feel free to mail of pm me for anything at all. Goodluck and Cheers. TPShiva.
Old May 28th 2007, 4:46 am
Account Closed

Thailand to retire. Unfortunately, impossible to retire in Singapore without PR and no retirement scheme in place, so will spend my hard-earned money elsewhere

still recommend Singapore for business though