Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Do you need a car in Singapore?

Do you need a car in Singapore?

Old Apr 15th 2012, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need a car in Singapore?

Originally Posted by Bocat
The only problem driving from Singapore to KL is that the drivers are mad

With regard to buying a car. Are you sitting down?

Owning a car in Singapore is not a cheap option - but if you buy second hand then the CoE transfers to you too but I just don't know how all that works - maybe someone else can help with that.
Found this insightful:

http://www.oneshift.com/articles/article.php?artid=1

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/ne...ode%5B%5D=2612

$600k for an A8 that makes you think when you see a ferrari in Singapore then?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:16 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, glad we never got a car there now. And yet you see Ferraris, Lamborginis in Sing... bloody hell
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Geez, glad we never got a car there now. And yet you see Ferraris, Lamborginis in Sing... bloody hell
You don't say

We just realised we are the lowest end of the society here. Singaporean are super rich.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

I know - I have no idea who these people are who drive these cars!!

Harlow Lad - don't be fooled. Singapore has lots of people living in poverty - it's just not as obvious as countries like Cambodia.

There are lots of charities here dealing with people who are living in very poor circumstances.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

We done the calculation here. Don't buy a car here, its not worth it.

Its a bit hard work sometime with 2 little children. Especially when the bus driver tell you to fold the buggy when you try to board a bus. But still a lot cheaper than having a car here.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
People have said cars are expensive but what is expensive? If say I wanted a v60 volvo any expectation on what costs that would be?

Any problems with driving from Singapore to Malaysia (ie KL).
As stated above the COE is near all time highs, certainly the high over the last 10 years.
A Volve COE would now be £40,000 and as the Gov is shortly drastically cutting the number of COEs issued per month then the COE may rocket.

I find the Singaporean logic strange. When COEs rise they believe it is better to then buy an expensive car rather than wait a year or so to see if the COE will reduce.
BTW most cars here are less then 5 years old I'd say.
Mine is coming up to 6 years old. We won't buy a new one unless the COR reduces drastically and aren't sure what we will have to pay to renew the COE when the car is 10 years old.
Most cars are autos as well.
Any reason you want a big car, is the Volvo a big car?
We get by with a Toyota Altis which is the same interior as our Toyota Corolla in the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
As stated above the COE is near all time highs, certainly the high over the last 10 years.
A Volve COE would now be £40,000 and as the Gov is shortly drastically cutting the number of COEs issued per month then the COE may rocket.

I find the Singaporean logic strange. When COEs rise they believe it is better to then buy an expensive car rather than wait a year or so to see if the COE will reduce.
BTW most cars here are less then 5 years old I'd say.
Mine is coming up to 6 years old. We won't buy a new one unless the COR reduces drastically and aren't sure what we will have to pay to renew the COE when the car is 10 years old.
Most cars are autos as well.
Any reason you want a big car, is the Volvo a big car?
We get by with a Toyota Altis which is the same interior as our Toyota Corolla in the UK.
The volvo is medium sedan (you may be thinking of the V90 or the XC90 4x4). I currently drive a A8 so was amused at the cost. I agree we will not personally fork out for a vehicle, however work are obligated and may already have a vehicle so if its on offer and no cost will take up.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

If the company pays then no problem.
I assume they will pay Road Tax, Insurance and petrol.
If your wife is to drive make sure your insurance covers that.
Some companies won't allow it or don't cover.
Petrol is half UK but insurance is expensive as is Road Tac
My UK insurance is about £100 while my Sing insurance is £350.
Full NCD in both countries.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex reg
If the company pays then no problem.
I assume they will pay Road Tax, Insurance and petrol.
If your wife is to drive make sure your insurance covers that.
Some companies won't allow it or don't cover.
Petrol is half UK but insurance is expensive as is Road Tac
My UK insurance is about £100 while my Sing insurance is £350.
Full NCD in both countries.
Its my wifes speeding tickets I am more concerned about LOL
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree but don't usually say so on here as well I won't go into it.

Mind you It's not easy to speed these days what with the heavy traffic and jams.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for the bus lane fines too! I've had one of those. It's kind of impossible to drop your hubby off at the bus stop without going into the bus lane.

I'm thinking of installing an ejector seat
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

I think we can't take the rush hour commute anymore. We hope we not going to say this but we getting a car in bloody Singapore.

People you need a car with young children in Singapore, especially travel with them in rush hour. Our experience on the first week with them in rush hour.

Or the other option is take a cab. But they the same price as owning a second hand car here.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
People you need a car with young children in Singapore, especially travel with them in rush hour. Our experience on the first week with them in rush hour.
Thank you for this insight
Old May 25th 2012, 3:04 am
Just Joined

vcf49 will become famous soon enough

We haven't bothered with a car and we have a 6 month old baby. We chose to live within walking distance of a very central MRT (Orchard MRT - and managed to find an affordable clean condo - which was an amazing result), and whilst we're at the junction of two main bus routes, we usually survive with the MRT and an occassional taxi. The main supermarkets deliver and we have a little shop onsite for day to day stuff like milk. It is easy to survive without a car as the MRT system here is so good and Singapore is smaller than Anglesey! I don't miss driving and especially not with the SG way of driving - have witnessed one fatal crash in SG and husband has been in another much smaller one. Good luck!
Old May 25th 2012, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vcf49
We haven't bothered with a car and we have a 6 month old baby.
I think you will find its when the children are older and need to go places other than on your doorstep.

School runs etc or from school to various appointments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.