The Buzz in Singapore

Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:48 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Buzz in Singapore

It's F1 weekend and it's all my mates are talking about - a lot have tickets.

I thought this might be of interest to those of us no longer there or heading there - some of the videos/simulations are very cool. We saw some of the track last week; can't quite believe it goes out around the newish grandstand near the Esplanade

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7629454.stm
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:32 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Buzz in Singapore

I read that Lewis and Heikki got rapped knuckles from Bernie Ecclestone as they didn't attend Lunch with the President at the Istana - tut tut - and President Nathan is such a nice guy.

We almost stumbled into him one day (the Pres). His private residence was just up the road from us - and there he was one day, just stood outside (with bodyguards of course) presumably waiting for his chauffeur. I was quite thrilled. OH quite unmoved (sigh).
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We were neighbours with the Pres last week, kk - stayed at Upper Wilkie Road. He didn't invite us for tea.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:38 am
Account Closed

I'm not familiar with Upper Wilkie Road - is that somewhere near the Istana perhaps? Didn't frequent the Istana too often

Looking forward to seeing the GP qualifying on tee-wee tonight.

(So many characters in the Thai language, but not a V at all.)
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:21 am
Auntie Fa

Yeah it's up behind Plaza Singapura, above Sophia Road, pretty much equidistant between Dhoby Ghaut and Little India MRTs.

I don't envy you learning Thai - it's one of the strangest sounding languages I encountered in Asia. Hello and Thank You are my limit.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Ah... Thai - well, it keeps me out of trouble on a wet and blustery Sunday afternoon. I think the strange sound of it (for us westerners) is the tonal stuff (much like Chinese). Luckily for me (as I don't do tonal ), the Southern Thais don't emphasize the tonal stuff too much. Before anyone Thai shoots me down in flames - a couple of Southern Thai gals confirmed this.

Anyway... back on subject....

Did you see the qualifying last night? What a great showcase for Singapore. And a packed grandstand of 30,000 people - jeez, the MRT must've been packed out.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Ah... Thai - well, it keeps me out of trouble on a wet and blustery Sunday afternoon. I think the strange sound of it (for us westerners) is the tonal stuff (much like Chinese). Luckily for me (as I don't do tonal ), the Southern Thais don't emphasize the tonal stuff too much. Before anyone Thai shoots me down in flames - a couple of Southern Thai gals confirmed this.

Anyway... back on subject....

Did you see the qualifying last night? What a great showcase for Singapore. And a packed grandstand of 30,000 people - jeez, the MRT must've been packed out.
The F1 looks great. I have an interview for a job in Singapore this week. If I get it, I would love to watch the F1/ Moto GP next year.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Best of luck with the job interview NottsBloke! Whatever you think of Singapore, it's certainly a place to experience.

The Grand Prix last night was fab - really pleased for Club Singapore. I'm sure they'll get some increased tourism as a result - and no doubt it'll be even better next year, especially if they smooth over all those little bumps

Nice to see PM Lee presenting the trophy too. Now you don't see Gordy Brown doing that in the UK, do you?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Best of luck with the job interview NottsBloke! Whatever you think of Singapore, it's certainly a place to experience.

The Grand Prix last night was fab - really pleased for Club Singapore. I'm sure they'll get some increased tourism as a result - and no doubt it'll be even better next year, especially if they smooth over all those little bumps

Nice to see PM Lee presenting the trophy too. Now you don't see Gordy Brown doing that in the UK, do you?
Thank you. Bit nervous and apprehensive but excited none the less. I love Sydney but it is similar to the UK in many ways. Also for my job it is not exactly the most advanced and progressive place in the world!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:32 am
Auntie Fa

All my friends who attended said it was great - well organised, apart from not enough beer. I don't think it will do the STB any harm at all, what with the IRs being built, and all that.

Best of luck, Notts_Bloke. If you get (and accept) the job, you'll find quite a bit of info here but I'm sure we'd all be glad to help with further questions.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seasider
All my friends who attended said it was great - well organised, apart from not enough beer. I don't think it will do the STB any harm at all, what with the IRs being built, and all that.

Best of luck, Notts_Bloke. If you get (and accept) the job, you'll find quite a bit of info here but I'm sure we'd all be glad to help with further questions.
Thanks I will keep you all posted. I drink too much beer anyway, my problem may be eating too many Laksas!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:44 am
Auntie Fa

Is there such a thing as too many laksas?

I miss No Signboard. Oh how I miss No Signboard.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seasider
Is there such a thing as too many laksas?

I miss No Signboard. Oh how I miss No Signboard.

Have you found any good Laksas in Sydney yet? Are you starting to settle in?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:05 pm
Auntie Fa

Haven't searched, to be honest. If I find a good one, I'll get even fatter than I am Bizarrely I wandered through a food court near Circular Quay one day (in a touristy little mall) and saw a huge queue of office workers at a laksa stall, so it may be worth a try one day when I'm over there.

I go to Chatswood a lot, which of course has lots of Asian food. I feel very at home there - one day I was the only non-Chinese customer in Gloria Jean's.

I felt at home in Sydney very quickly. Having friends here (both from the UK and Singapore) helps a lot, and we'd been here a few times already. The Geek also transferred and knew a lot of his colleagues, so there wasn't much culture shock really. Winter was another matter entirely...

The couple of days we had in Singapore the other weekend were lovely, but convinced us it was the right move for us as a couple, and my husband health-wise.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

well we have been in singapore now since Sunday and really like what we've seen so far. just need to find somewhere to live now, think it will be east coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.