Banking in Singapore

Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Banking in Singapore

I was interested in opening a savings bank account in Singapore, as I am reluctant to deposit any money in my bank in Cyprus. I am working for a Cypriot company in Libya and I have Cypriot origins. I already have a bank account in Thailand, and I wonder whether Singapore would be a better Asian location to have a bank account. After visitng Singapore with my family during Christmas I was very impressed with the city and I think it is not a bad place to spend a few days after a visit to the bank. (Although it is very expensive)
Old Apr 7th 2013, 8:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking in Singapore

I'm neither a financial adviser or bank adviser, but seems like a fair bet to park some money there. In terms of perceived "safeness" DBS, OCBC and UOB all in the Top 20 Safest Banks according to Global Finance.
http://www.gfmag.com/tools/best-bank...#axzz2PlYiinlc
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in Singapore for 7 years and banked with DBS (Development Bank of Singapore) throughout. I now live in Dubai but have maintained my DBS account. I arranged a mortgage through them, had my salary paid into a DBS account and tel transferred funds out of Singapore every month. I would be very happy to recommend them as reliable.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt the banks are safe but the interest rates are soooo low.
1.1% if you lock your money away for 12 months is about the best you can get.

If you wanted though you can join Dollardex or Poets or Fundsupermart which are Platforms for UTs.
A low risk UT will return 5% plus pa on past performance and the money is readily available.
And of course high risk UTs will perform so much better with Thailand and Japan returning 50% approx in less than a year at the moment.

Interest is not taxed in Singapore.

These accounts can be managed, buy/sell/switch, from outside Singapore over the internet or telephone.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:41 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with above two posts but presume exReg is referring to Sing dollar savings. You can hold other currency accounts with DBS no problem and as exReg says no tax paid on the interest.

Have to say that these days I am not finding DBS Sing very competitive on Aussie dollar deposits. Finding CIMB in Malaysia has far better rates by a mile, but I've no idea what the deal is for those not actually living in Malaysia.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Agree with above two posts but presume exReg is referring to Sing dollar savings.
correct bb.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

TheMonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Debowing did you get anywhere with this ?

I am in a similar position - I am UK expat in the Middle East but want the reliability of a bank account in Singapore. I have tried to contact DBS but no avail to see if they accept non-resident clients.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:45 am
Just Joined

jcport67 is an unknown quantity at this point

ex reg... what do you mean by UT? Thanks
Old May 9th 2013, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Unit trusts ?
Old May 9th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheMonk
Unit trusts ?
correct.

There are websites for the three platforms I mentioned so google and you can check things out.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

with Dollardex "Those not resident in Singapore may apply in person at our office"
Old May 10th 2013, 1:09 am
Just Joined

jcport67 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do people think of the options Dollardex Vs. Poets Vs. Fundsupermart
Old May 10th 2013, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jcport67
What do people think of the options Dollardex Vs. Poets Vs. Fundsupermart
IMO Fundsupermart used to be the best by a long way. They also had a good and very active forum.
Then for some reason they implemented an annual platform fee and many migrated over to DD and Poems. I did myself.
The forum on FSM is now almost dead so I'm not sure how many stayed with them.

IMO there is very little difference between the three as far as things go but the additional platform fee killed FSM stone dead for me.