Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

...another schooling question

...another schooling question

Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all
Default ...another schooling question

I understand the Tanglin, Dulwich, Dover Schools all provide the G(C)SE exams and English is the predominant language - but that comes at a cost (at least S$25k per child per year) and with 2 kids that takes a hit on your expenses if it doesn't come as part of your package...

So, what are 'normal' Singapore schools like for UK / English speaking expats? Do any of you have experience of this?

Looking forward to some interesting points as I am trying to piece together potential expenses / lifestyle choices. This all has a factor on whether to bring the family out with me (if I get offered the job) or do I leave the kids at home until places become available at our (expat) school of choice. But, who knows we could save at least S$50k a year and the kids can go to a 'state' school for the long-term anyway.

(Please don't respond with details of what should or shouldn't be in my package - I think I can sort that out, thanks ;-) )
Old Sep 18th 2017, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ...another schooling question

Local schools range from meh to very good, the very good ones are very selective though.

However, getting into a state school is very difficult. Priority goes to citizens, then PR, then the rest. So places for 'the rest' will be likely be in less popular schools/ areas. Note that the test is no walk in the park either, especially on the maths. Success rates (for non PR to get their kids into local schools) are around 10-30%.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Thanks Sayang...wow, tough criteria. Still, it's good that SG doesn't lower it's standards .

We'll be at the end of the line anyway looking at the criteria...better start saving!
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:00 am
Just Joined

sanc1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just keep trying, especially for the not-so-populated areas there are priorities that go to people living in the vicinity (so that people get their kids in closeby schools)... otherwise your kid will have to travel a lot. What i would recommend is trying out for a school in the west, it's less populated and the schools are alright. If it's a long journey, check out alternative apartments like the ones at metroresidences
Old Apr 14th 2018, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Esteban0 is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I understand directly from an education professional living and working in Singapore, it's not a great idea to place your child in the local public schools. Bullying for being a foreigner is common, along with the very heavy schoolwork that comes with it.
There are other, less expensive schools that could be an option such as invictus or Middleton that charge about 15k a year.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:55 am
Just Joined

kaitme is an unknown quantity at this point

success rate for local school is very low
depending on how well your kid can adapt, chances are they might be singled out.
there are plenty of foreign schools in singapore, there's one in pasir ris called oversea family school, its pretty big and i see plenty of kids taking the train every morning, maybe you can check that out