Bishan commute

Old Apr 15th 2018, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Esteban0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bishan commute

Does anyone live in around Bishan and commute to the cbd? I see it takes about 1 hour and I understand that to Singapore standards that's a long commute. Anyone have experience dealing in this ?
Old Apr 15th 2018, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bishan commute

Originally Posted by Esteban0
Does anyone live in around Bishan and commute to the cbd? I see it takes about 1 hour and I understand that to Singapore standards that's a long commute. Anyone have experience dealing in this ?
The MRT from Bishan to Orchard station is only 5 stops, and approximately a 20 minute journey.

Our first house we rented in Singapore was in Seletar Hills. I would regularly walk to the bus stop, then ride the bus to Bishan station, and then onwards to Orchard station via the train. That whole journey on a bad day would perhaps take me an hour, but it was usually to be around 40 minutes.

Edited to add that even with driving, I could count on one hand how many times it took me around an hour to reach the CBD in the 2 years we rented in that area.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat100; Apr 15th 2018 at 1:37 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks mamabear!
We are thinking of renting around there in order also to be close to the French school. Seems that also size wise you can get something a lot bigger and nicer for the same money as in a more central area.
I don't mind the commute as now in London for me it's 1 hour anyways, it just seems that everyone I know in Singapore seems to think that anything over 30 minutes is crazy
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point.

Orchard is not the CBD.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 8:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ex reg
Just a point.

Orchard is not the CBD.

Point taken. Bishan MRT to Raffles Place (as an example) is 9 stops and approximately 26 minutes.

In #2 the drive I referred to was from Seletar Hills to Suntec City in the CBD.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Thanks mamabear!
We are thinking of renting around there in order also to be close to the French school. Seems that also size wise you can get something a lot bigger and nicer for the same money as in a more central area.
I don't mind the commute as now in London for me it's 1 hour anyways, it just seems that everyone I know in Singapore seems to think that anything over 30 minutes is crazy
There are some nice places to rent, but bare in mind, larger space equals a larger electric bill re A/C!

Nope, I never understood it either? My OH used to have a 3 hour round trip daily whilst we lived in Scotland. When I gave our address, a regular comment from taxi drivers was 'wow you live so far', it was literally a 20-25 minute drive home from that taxi stand? We'd rented 2 other houses after that one, one in the East Coast nearer to the CBD and one on the West nearer Orchard, both were a very easy commute in and around the island.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mamabear!

We are considering Bishan in order to be close to the French School, but are equally looking at East Coast or Clemnti, west coast area in order to be close to the other schools such as Dover Court. Basically I want to have a nice middle ground between the CBD and the kids school! Decisions decisions!
Old Apr 16th 2018, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Mamabear!

We are considering Bishan in order to be close to the French School, but are equally looking at East Coast or Clemnti, west coast area in order to be close to the other schools such as Dover Court. Basically I want to have a nice middle ground between the CBD and the kids school! Decisions decisions!
Yes, decisions. In an ideal world you would be best to secure a school placement first, thus insuring a better idea of where exactly to rent.

Would you be driving to work daily or using public transport more? Make sure you check out how far you would have to walk to a bus stop if the latter. When it's chucking it down, you'll not want to walk too far, and when it's raining trying to catch a taxi is a big hit or miss! Walking in the humidity was never an issue for me, my husband thought I was mad

Last edited by scrubbedexpat100; Apr 16th 2018 at 1:44 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:52 am
Just Joined

kaitme is an unknown quantity at this point

commuting from one end of singapore to the other by train (mrt) takes max 1 hour, singapore's pretty small