Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

About Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Other Asia Countries

About Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Other Asia Countries

Old Mar 28th 2014, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

2migrateuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool About Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Other Asia Countries

A big Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum.Just wanna offer any help if i could.
I'm a Singaporean, been staying in Malaysia for 10+ Years, Vietnam about 2 years, China about 1 year and other Asia countries +/- 2 years.

Currently in UK for some export business trips.

Well, my point is if any of you wants any help regarding travelling/settle down to these Asia countries, just post /look up for me n i will try to help you as much as i could.

Good day to All!

R
Old Mar 29th 2014, 1:36 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Other Asia Countries

Hello and welcome to the forum

You may like to browse through the recent topics and see if you've got any words of wisdom to add to them.

How long are you in the UK for? Where is your permanent base? I'm living full time in Penang. Used to live in Singapore and Thailand. Singapore sure is expensive these days.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi bakedbean~! I would be in Uk/Europe for 2 years.
My Permanant base would still be in Singapore.

Well, it depends on what is the standard living you go for in Singapore ( or any other countries), a normal decent salary is definately enough to survive in Singapore. But for Malaysia, i doubt so, especially in JB area =)
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

2migrateuk,

What, in your opinion, constitutes a normal decent salary that is DEFINITELY enough to survive in Singapore? Can you state a figure?

When you mention that you have been living in Malaysia for 10+ years, pray tell, which part of Malaysia did you live in? Did you live in JB? Then what do you mean by "for Malaysia, i doubt so, especially in JB area =)"? How can you say that? If you did live in JB, then you must have been living way beyond your means.

You say you are Singaporean. Surely you must know that a lot of your fellow citizens have been living in or have moved to Johor Bahru and Nusajaya as the cost of living is cheaper across the Causeway?

You are attempting to paint yourself as a seasoned traveller in Asia. If so, I advise you to not make sweeping generalisations and prove your points very well if you are to offer advice to expats in this Forum.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Dear friend,

What i meant for normal decent salary is when im saying based on normal job that one has, lets say an admin job that is around $1.5k a month. In Singapore, you will have no problem surviving.

But let say if the same job offering rm1.5k in Malaysia, then it would be slightly hard to survive. one of the reason is what you have stated, lots of Singaporean come in to spend / and also lots of southern malaysian work in Singapore but spend in Jb, thus makes the standard living in Jb pretty tough.

For a simple example would be the price of newspaper, In singapore, it costs $0.80 and in Malaysia it costs Rm1.30. This is infact a very general advise that i could give, if you think i'm wrong do correct me.

I'm not trying to misguide anyone in this forum, i just hope my experience could helps.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Froggybarnacle2000
2migrateuk,

What, in your opinion, constitutes a normal decent salary that is DEFINITELY enough to survive in Singapore? Can you state a figure?

When you mention that you have been living in Malaysia for 10+ years, pray tell, which part of Malaysia did you live in? Did you live in JB? Then what do you mean by "for Malaysia, i doubt so, especially in JB area =)"? How can you say that? If you did live in JB, then you must have been living way beyond your means.

You say you are Singaporean. Surely you must know that a lot of your fellow citizens have been living in or have moved to Johor Bahru and Nusajaya as the cost of living is cheaper across the Causeway?

You are attempting to paint yourself as a seasoned traveller in Asia. If so, I advise you to not make sweeping generalisations and prove your points very well if you are to offer advice to expats in this Forum.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:12 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I'm struggling with understanding this. You say SGD 1500 per month income is OK? But surely you wouldn't even get a condo rental for that price, would you? As well as all the other costs on top of that...food, drink, travelling. Utilities are increasing in Singapore also, yes?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

2migrateuk,

I don't know the figures, but I doubt that it as high as 1%
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:51 am
Just Joined

$1.5k is to survive.
Not to live in a condo and enjoy a luxury living. I meant lets get back to the point that 1.5K SGD is enough for one to get a decent room to stay, pay for utilities,eat and travel around (using public transport, i'm pretty worried that you may come back and talk about having a car as well)

If you need a breakdown on how i come out to this figure, i can do it for you as well.

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Must admit I'm struggling with understanding this. You say SGD 1500 per month income is OK? But surely you wouldn't even get a condo rental for that price, would you? As well as all the other costs on top of that...food, drink, travelling. Utilities are increasing in Singapore also, yes?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
I don't know the figures, but I doubt that it as high as 1%
Yes, i got to agree with you.
The figure is not that high.

Generally, Singaporean are worried about the safety issue in migrating to stay in JB. However, we cant deny that we go in and pump petrol often.
=)
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

2migrateuk,

I suppose it should come as a relief to some that one can live on a monthly salary of S$1.5k, be it in Singapore or Johor Bahru. Obviously this does not apply to an expat family of four. However, I’d be surprised to find an expat on this forum that earns only that much or even aspires to live on that kind of budget in Singapore or JB. The comment you made about Singaporeans worrying about the safety issue in Johor Bahru is so old hat. And the non-sequiturs in your previous replies are making my head spin. Anyhow, I shan’t split hairs with you any longer on this issue. Carry on with the advice dispensation, if you must!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by 2migrateuk

Generally, Singaporean are worried about the safety issue in migrating to stay in JB.
=)
Yes yes yes, my goodness, if I had a Sing Dollar for every time I heard that when I lived in Singapore, I would be a rich lady.

Unfortunately this is all part of the Singapore propaganda machine which I do not miss at all. Of course you do,get propaganda in all countries.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

2migrateuk,

I suppose it should come as a relief to some that one can live on a monthly salary of S$1.5k, be it in Singapore or Johor Bahru. Obviously this does not apply to an expat family of four. However, I’d be surprised to find an expat on this forum that earns only that much or even aspires to live on that kind of budget in Singapore or JB. The comment you made about Singaporeans worrying about the safety issue in Johor Bahru is so old hat. And the non-sequiturs in your previous replies are making my head spin. Anyhow, I shan’t split hairs with you any longer on this issue. Carry on with the advice dispensation, if you must!
Sorry for any confusion =)