Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

21 y/o female relocating to Singapore

21 y/o female relocating to Singapore

Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:44 am
Just Joined

london1718 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 21 y/o female relocating to Singapore

Hi,

I am a 21 year old female, who has just been giving the opportunity to relocate with work to Singapore.

Can people give me some some advise or pros / cons of Singapore for a 21 year old.

It would be much appreciated to help me make my decision.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 12:03 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 21 y/o female relocating to Singapore

Well.... you'll have a whale of a time for a start off. Great social life. Sure Singapore is expensive these days but it's a great place to experience, and will look nice on the CV.

You're moving from UK? Mmm it's a no brainer IMO
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! I agree with bakedbean.

Only cons I can think of are - make sure your company are paying you enough to cover the very expensive cost of living here - it's not cheap. Do your research about where to stay and how much that'll cost as that'll be your biggest expense.

Also - as I'm an old fogey of 43 I don't come across many people your age. Most are mid 30s to mid 50s but I'm sure there's a whole other world of 20+ year olds out there!

Pros - Singapore's a safe place to live, clean, fun, lots to do and see, easy base to travel to other Asian countries which would have been a very expensive holiday to do from the UK.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 19th 2013, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

boha2611 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey congratulations! I've moved to Singapore a couple of weeks ago but was pretty much in the same position as you are now. I'm also 21 and got an internship over here. So far I've been loving it, as far as adjusting to life over here its pretty easy as there is no language barrier and everything is really efficient. I haven't had much of a chance to explore yet apart from weekends but from what I've seen its a really interesting and lively place.

As bocat said the main cost here is rent. Groceries are also quite expensive as most of it is imported but at the same time you can eat out at hawker and food for really cheap as well.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:56 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Boha, just to say to the forum. It's good to have some up-to-date info from someone in Singapore, so thanks for posting. So many of us (that includes me) used to live there, but I'm a bit out of touch on some things.

How long do you plan to stay in Singapore?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

boha2611 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks bakedbean! I found this forum really useful before I came over here so thought I'd help out others too. My internship is for six months and then I'm hoping to travel around for a wee bit before I go back to uni in September.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:03 pm

Sounds good boha. Have fun.