Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

19 year old British girl just moved to Singapore and looking to meet people

19 year old British girl just moved to Singapore and looking to meet people

Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:04 am
Just Joined

arlawrence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 19 year old British girl just moved to Singapore and looking to meet people

Hi Im 19 and I just moved to Singapore as the Head coach of a Synchronised swimming club. I know I am very young to be living out here on my own, but what an amazing experience that couldn't be turned down! I love exercising, going to the cinema, shopping and going out for drinks. If anyone knows where I could meet people or any groups that I could join it would be much appreciated Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 19 year old British girl just moved to Singapore and looking to meet people

Hi and welcome to Singapore!

Have a look at www.meetup.com. There are lots of groups on there for all sorts of activities - and also just for generally meeting people.

I set up one a year ago with a friend - it's called Singapore International Ladies Group. You'd definitely be one of our youngest members - but we're a friendly bunch so please join! You'd find lots of other suitable groups on there too though.

Bocat
Old Feb 1st 2012, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Matt D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 19 year old British girl just moved to Singapore and looking to meet people

Hi, am 21 year old and moving out there in 2 weeks, although cant meet up yet, was just wondering how you are finding it out there??
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Hey Matt, its great, it really is a lovely city. I was very lucky as I took over a job from someone I knew and I moved into her old flat with her old flat mates who have been very kind to me and showed me around.
There is loads of stuff to do around Singapore and Im sure everyone will go out of there way to make you feel welcome
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:45 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it still is, but this used to be a lively forum for younger expats to arrange outings: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/forum34.html

There are a few more expat forums but they're mainly frequented by old fogies like myself (I spent six years there, now in Sydney).

Getting involved in dragon-boating, hockey, footie, rugby, etc., might be a good plan as they usually go hand in hand with a good social scene. I can put you in touch with a few people if you can't find the groups yourself.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks Seasider, I have been on this website already but it seems more for searching for property, maybe I am on the wrong section, its a hard website to navigate.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:13 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

That link above should take you directly to the Social forum, which seems to have grown quite a bit since I was last on there and has way too many sub-forums, I agree!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

gregoryhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. i have been staying here in Singapore for a long while. give me a pm and i can show you around Singapore and Malaysia. Welcome to Asia. ^^
Old Feb 7th 2012, 9:16 pm
Auntie Fa

I would hope her mother warned her about strange men on the internet making offers like that

I still remember the email I got soon after moving to Sg in 2002 and joining a forum - it was offering "discreet services to bored expat ladies". Wouldn't have minded but he was ugly as sin and his website played Beatles music.

edit: Yes of course I checked him out
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

gregoryhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
I would hope her mother warned her about strange men on the internet making offers like that

I still remember the email I got soon after moving to Sg in 2002 and joining a forum - it was offering "discreet services to bored expat ladies". Wouldn't have minded but he was ugly as sin and his website played Beatles music.

edit: Yes of course I checked him out
Haha. Opps. Guess I crossed the line. I definitely agreed with you.
You are 100% correct to give her this advice.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Kimmylance is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 19 year old British girl just moved to Singapore and looking to meet people

Originally Posted by arlawrence
Hi Im 19 and I just moved to Singapore as the Head coach of a Synchronised swimming club. I know I am very young to be living out here on my own, but what an amazing experience that couldn't be turned down! I love exercising, going to the cinema, shopping and going out for drinks. If anyone knows where I could meet people or any groups that I could join it would be much appreciated Thanks

Hi,

I would love to meet up for tea and shopping. That will be fun. Its seriously very easy to make friends in singapore.