Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where is all the crap coming from?

Where is all the crap coming from?

Old Mar 7th 2015, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where is all the crap coming from?

Lately my wifes' pc has been picking up lots of crap like Isaver and various other unsavoury items that at best slow the net down. I thought it was due to her social network stuff and uninstall half a dozen programs every week.
Now I have started getting them from it would appear Spanish sources. things like happy2save,bet 365 etc. I do not use any social networks. I scan daily with Malwarebytes and every few days with MS defender, all updated.
Where is this crap coming from, how to stop it?
Old Mar 7th 2015, 7:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is all the crap coming from?

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Lately my wifes' pc has been picking up lots of crap like Isaver and various other unsavoury items that at best slow the net down. I thought it was due to her social network stuff and uninstall half a dozen programs every week.
Now I have started getting them from it would appear Spanish sources. things like happy2save,bet 365 etc. I do not use any social networks. I scan daily with Malwarebytes and every few days with MS defender, all updated.
Try downloading 'adblocker' I had the same problem, and a download of adblocker + a malwarebytes scan stopped it.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 7:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using google chrome, check it isn't and add on program. If it is, you can turn it off from within Chrome.

Also, maybe try another browser and see if you get the same trouble
Old Mar 7th 2015, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Try downloading 'adblocker' I had the same problem, and a download of adblocker + a malwarebytes scan stopped it.
That works thanks ,it even stopped all the crap on ebay
Old Mar 7th 2015, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of PC crap.

Last December I flew with a popular Scandinavian airline (ALC to LGW). The free wifi was great at the time. However, immediately after the flight my Gmail spam folder got flooded with about 20 extra junk emails a day. It gradually reduced because of the spam filtering.

Giving them the benefit of doubt, I flew with them again a couple of weeks ago (again using the wifi). Same thing happened, loads of spam straight afterwards.

Anyone else had this?
Old Mar 8th 2015, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I am using win8.1 with IE 11, No Chrome, I tried it last year and the spam was incredible.
Yesterday I picked up 2 loads which I uninstalled deeply with Revo Uninstaller.
Considering that I only go to legit sites like this, and ebay/milanuncios etc. with very few google searches I am really surprised.
Isn't there anything that you can do against these companies like Nuking them as in the old days? Pussyfooting around appears to be the official approach when what is needed is a Sharia law approach, Closed down and beheaded at dawn!!
We have an Orange ADSL setup with their Livebox, is it possible that this crud is put on the system by their server, I notice that in the last few weeks the crud level has increased on our phones too, mine in particular which uses the Livebox WiFi. the only thing I use it for is "El Tiempo"?

Last edited by Maybe1day; Mar 8th 2015 at 8:15 am.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 8:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I use both Chrome and Firefox, and was getting loads of unwanted ads etc. which is why I installed adblocker and ran a malwarebytes scan, result, no pop ups, no unwanted ads on any of the platforms.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 10:06 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this is technically correct... but it looks like you have cookies enabled, and its via these that you had this problem.

Cookies are a frustrating fact of life, but you can set up your browser privacy to allow cookies, but when you close the browser they are all deleted.

Or there's private browsing when you are on public networks. Again I'm not techie, but I think this may help

Jon
Old Mar 8th 2015, 10:13 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I don't know if this is technically correct... but it looks like you have cookies enabled, and its via these that you had this problem.

Cookies are a frustrating fact of life, but you can set up your browser privacy to allow cookies, but when you close the browser they are all deleted.

Or there's private browsing when you are on public networks. Again I'm not techie, but I think this may help

Jon
I have cookies enabled, and as I've said I get no unwanted ads or pop ups. My cookies are not deleted when I log off.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 10:38 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I have cookies enabled, and as I've said I get no unwanted ads or pop ups. My cookies are not deleted when I log off.
Hi mikelincs I didn't reply to your post, but was referring to the OP's post/thread. Its clear that you have a way to sort it.

I personally don't want cookies clogging up the system (and I can make exceptions for the important ones). I think that this would have diminished the problem that Maybe1day opened with.

Jon
Old Mar 9th 2015, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I will try Adblocker and let you know......
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Adblock doesn't work with IE unfortunately, but I'll look for something else along the same lines.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:51 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Adblock doesn't work with IE unfortunately, but I'll look for something else along the same lines.
I don't seem to get too many ads on IE. I don't have an ad blocker but do use 'do not track'. I also use AVG free as antivirus which works well
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

It appears that Orange have flogged off the numbers of their customers to some marketing Co. I have had half a dozen calls from other operators this week. My ADSL and phone went up the creek on Tuesday morning, I called the English service. Wednesday afternoon srvice was still out so I called again, I was told that they were waiting to check my home connection. I asked about a rebate for the period of non availability no prob but I was told that the English service was a pay one and there was no refund. I got told a lot of crap about not being the line lessee (my Wife) and the operator tried to keep me talking, I told her that if service wasn't resumed by the end of the day I would go to Telefonica. 2 minutes after the call ended we were back on line. Will go to the Telefonica shop on Monday..................