Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are we British too set in our ways?

Are we British too set in our ways?

Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we British too set in our ways?

Originally Posted by bobd22
I disagree generally with this reply. Although you did add the rider "done properly" but that is exactly the same with fish and chips. In fact a plate of good fish chips and proper mushy peas is a lovely meal. I eat them maybe 3 times a year and as someone said most things are better eaten in moderation. I will add I am a Yorkshire man but now living in the north east, I consider generally speaking fish and chips in the north of England for me tend to be the best. Whitby has some very good well renowned fish and chip restaurants. UK tapas restaurants I have never tried , however when over in Spain I have had the odd very good tapas but generally they are poor to mediocre and in reality pre prepared rather than homemade with fresh ingredients. So your reply still does not answer why tapas restaurants in UK are a fantastic connoisseurs delight whereas as fish and chips etc in Spain are to be rubbished, no matter how good either actually are. Anyway we in the northeast must be really cultured as we at our local pub have embraced the tapas � ����
Attachment 128264
We had a long weekend in Whitby just before we came to live in Benidorm. Yep...fantastic food!!! They never bother with tapas, eh? Some posters in this thread have never had such delights (As they are to much up their own a*** and think we should not be British especially those who live in Majorca !!)
Old Aug 8th 2017, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
We had a long weekend in Whitby just before we came to live in Benidorm. Yep...fantastic food!!! They never bother with tapas, eh? Some posters in this thread have never had such delights (As they are to much up their own a*** and think we should not be British especially those who live in Majorca !!)
We went to Whitby..once...as well when we looked at UK for long weekends.Paid £80 to stay in a 'boarding house' like being in me nan's back bedroom. Whiby is so crowded can't say much except seeing the abbey. We bought some 'whitby jet' from the artisan market by the church... all the chains and earing bits fell to bits ...had to pay more than we paid to fix them..still not sure they are real. Never felt more ripped off then being in Turkey...we don't holiday much in England now.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:13 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Huh? Ever been? There's some pretty good food here. Not in Magaluf, though, so, it may not suit you. Lots of "foreign stuff" on the remaining 99.99% of the island. They speak funny languages too. Maybe not your thing.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Huh? Ever been? There's some pretty good food here. Not in Magaluf, though, so, it may not suit you. Lots of "foreign stuff" on the remaining 99.99% of the island. They speak funny languages too. Maybe not your thing.
Another ridiculous comment.

Why can't you put something constructive for a change instead of childish comments designed by you to try and cause offence!

Get yourself a life and stop interfering with other peoples.

Last edited by tebo53; Aug 9th 2017 at 5:25 am.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bridie55
We went to Whitby..once...as well when we looked at UK for long weekends.Paid £80 to stay in a 'boarding house' like being in me nan's back bedroom. Whiby is so crowded can't say much except seeing the abbey. We bought some 'whitby jet' from the artisan market by the church... all the chains and earing bits fell to bits ...had to pay more than we paid to fix them..still not sure they are real. Never felt more ripped off then being in Turkey...we don't holiday much in England now.
But did you try the fish and chips? Preferably in one of the good restaurants near the harbour. As for tat well it's every where if you need more try the Chinese shops in Spain. Good and bad people food nick nacks in all countries it simply down to finding it. Some on here seen to only see the good in anything Spanish and bad in anything UK, I simply don't understand this hatred of anything British.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

But did you try the fish and chips? Preferably in one of the good restaurants near the harbour. As for tat well it's every where if you need more try the Chinese shops in Spain. Good and bad people food nick nacks in all countries it simply down to finding it. Some on here seen to only see the good in anything Spanish and bad in anything UK, I simply don't understand this hatred of anything British.
Yes nice fish and chips but nothing better than any other seaside town in the UK. Just found Whitby overcrowded, and very overpriced and nobody likes to feel ripped off when buying so called 'genuine' local products. Not sure what you mean by buying more tat didn't realise it was but there you go.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bridie55
Yes nice fish and chips but nothing better than any other seaside town in the UK. Just found Whitby overcrowded, and very overpriced and nobody likes to feel ripped off when buying so called 'genuine' local products. Not sure what you mean by buying more tat didn't realise it was but there you go.
I meant as I said at the end good and bad quality products everywhere. I never mentioned Whitby as an advert but a bit of banter re fish and chips v tapas bit of Yorkshire humour.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 8:59 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

No one does fish,n,chips better than a genuine British restaurant, take away that uses fresh wet fish and dripping to cook in.
We have one such place here in the UK among who knows how many that are at best indifferent.
I doubt that there is one such anywhere outside of the UK.
Indifferent might be a compliment to the best of them..
Nothing wrong with British food outside of the UK or any other cuisine in the UK it just has to be worth eating.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

But did you try the fish and chips? Preferably in one of the good restaurants near the harbour. Some on here seen to only see the good in anything Spanish and bad in anything UK, I simply don't understand this hatred of anything British.
When we were there we stopped in a very nice boarding house, small and homely. We were looked after well. Whitby was extremely busy at that time but that shows its popularity! Yes Bob we Sat in one of the harbour restaurants and had perfect Fish 'n Chips!!

I also cannot understand all the Brit bashing mentality. Brits are certainly no worse than any other nationality I've seen this last fortnight (during the Spanish annual holiday period)
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I also cannot understand all the Brit bashing mentality. Brits are certainly no worse than any other nationality I've seen this last fortnight (during the Spanish annual holiday period)
Totally agree good and bad all walks of life don't take all with the same brush.