British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   UK beaches South East England (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-beaches-south-east-england-539756/)

spain May 29th 2008 1:31 pm

UK beaches South East England

can anyone recommend any nice beaches in the South East

We used to go to Dymchurch and St Marys Bay which we always enjoyed - dont know if its changed over the years ?

Going over in August and want to take my niece and nephews out so thought we might hit a beach - I know nothing can compare with the beautiful beachs here, Gandia is lovely but............

rugbymatt May 29th 2008 1:33 pm

Re: UK beaches South East England

Originally Posted by spain (Post 6409361)
can anyone recommend any nice beaches in the South East

We used to go to Dymchurch and St Marys Bay which we always enjoyed - dont know if its changed over the years ?

Going over in August and want to take my niece and nephews out so thought we might hit a beach - I know nothing can compare with the beautiful beachs here, Gandia is lovely but............

The Witterings are lovely, but then so is just about anywhere along the Dorset coast....

Some of my fave beaches in the area are on the Isle of Wight

Nosherlot May 29th 2008 2:05 pm

Yes I was about to suggest the Witterings for sheer quality of beachyness. Is it just the beach you are after or are facilities also important?

username 34 May 29th 2008 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 6409371)
The Witterings are lovely, but then so is just about anywhere along the Dorset coast....

but - If you watched the recent series of Waking the Dead you'll know that there is a prison phsychiatrist buried somewhere in the sand down at Witt .... its real you know:D

I love Witt, the sandy peninsula bit at least, but cannot cope with the firgging traffic every damn day the sun threatens to be out and everyone races down there. Try Bracklesham beach also - less people by far and its a nice little place with cafe's and what not.

Other than that .... Studland across from Bournmouth on the ferry - spectacular!

spain May 29th 2008 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nosherlot (Post 6409507)
Yes I was about to suggest the Witterings for sheer quality of beachyness. Is it just the beach you are after or are facilities also important?

just looking for a nice day out at the beach not too far a drive from Dartford, Kent - so the kids can all run around - will be 6 of them ranging from 12 down to 3 :eek: - not all mine, my son (12) and his 5 cousins :D

crispy May 29th 2008 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by spain (Post 6409822)
just looking for a nice day out at the beach not too far a drive from Dartford, Kent - so the kids can all run around - will be 6 of them ranging from 12 down to 3 :eek: - not all mine, my son (12) and his 5 cousins :D

Thinks are still the same in Dymchurch and St. Mary's Bay, I was there at Christmas and the sand at LittleStone are just a good as they were back in the 70's. Have to go a long way to get a beach better than St. Mary's Bay. Amusement Park in Dymchurch will be the same for ever and a day;)

Lionda May 29th 2008 5:14 pm

I agree with Matt....the IOW has lovely beaches... and also some very nice beachside bars :) The Witterings is also a good place, nice private cove there not far from the Pontins holiday camp. Brighton is good though, I really like Brighton :thumbsup:

genegenie May 29th 2008 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 6410303)
I agree with Matt....the IOW has lovely beaches... and also some very nice beachside bars :) The Witterings is also a good place, nice private cove there not far from the Pontins holiday camp. Brighton is good though, I really like Brighton :thumbsup:

Hey Lionda i once visited a holiday camp on the IOW ;)

genegenie May 29th 2008 8:12 pm

You should come and visit Blackpool beach, its glows green due to all the waste
from Sellafield and you can find every colour and type of condom known to man. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DebsyW May 29th 2008 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by genegenie (Post 6411046)
You should come and visit Blackpool beach, its glows green due to all the waste
from Sellafield and you can find every colour and type of condom known to man. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definately... do you swim there GG or do you find yourself just going through the `motions` ?

genegenie May 29th 2008 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by DebsyW (Post 6411107)
Definately... do you swim there GG or do you find yourself just going through the `motions` ?

:lol: :lol: nice one Debsy

genegenie May 29th 2008 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by genegenie (Post 6411117)
:lol: :lol: nice one Debsy

Sorry, Deborah ;)

DebsyW May 29th 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by genegenie (Post 6411181)
Sorry, Deborah ;)

and what have I done to get the `Sunday Name` ?? You did this with Samantha G a while back too! :rofl:

Sam Greenfield May 29th 2008 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by DebsyW (Post 6411201)
and what have I done to get the `Sunday Name` ?? You did this with Samantha G a while back too! :rofl:

Yeh he did - but i like it when he calls me Samantha ;) :rofl:

Nosherlot May 31st 2008 9:49 am

Ahem, getting back to the subject under discussion........ Minnis Bay is lovely, a real family beach, there are cold water showers to get the sand off, beach huts if you can afford one, a grassy area looking over the beach so you can picnic in peace and play ball games, a good cafe/pub place overlooking the beach and reasonable public loos. You can buy essentials like ice creams but I didn't see any noisy amusements or yobbo's. When the tide goes out the sand is great, small enough to be intimate but with all the essentials. Just don't tell everyone about it........