Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Great news for lovers of FRY-UPS and butter etc

Great news for lovers of FRY-UPS and butter etc

Old May 30th 2015, 10:32 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great news for lovers of FRY-UPS and butter etc

Hi Here are a few of articles

More eggs, please. Cholesterol is OK now | The Times

Why cholesterol might not be as bad as you think - Vox

Why Cholesterol is Not Bad | Paleo Leap

This is NOT FINAL... but the evidence is there. Quote

This U-turn on dietary advice is long overdue. All kinds of damage have been done to people’s lives and livelihoods

If you are reading this before breakfast, please consider having an egg. Any day now, the US government will officially accept the advice to drop cholesterol from its list of “nutrients of concern” altogether. It wants also to “de-emphasise” saturated fat, given “the lack of evidence connecting it with cardiovascular disease”.

If the Americans in their litigious society will say this - then I feel very comfortable about the advice.... with the caveat that after all is said and done... moderation in most things is probably the best for your health

I'm going out for the belly buster all day breakfast, with dorstep toasts slathered in butter!

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 30th 2015 at 10:36 am.
Old May 30th 2015, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Great news for lovers of FRY-UPS and butter etc

Jon
I don't think the Americans have grasped the term moderation considering the obesity problem they currently face.
The American methodology of labling food differs from EU standards. Saturated fats are by far the greatest problem giving rise to our highest killer in Ireland, heart disease.
Go easy on the fry-up Jon !
Old May 31st 2015, 5:36 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lloyd2012
Jon
I don't think the Americans have grasped the term moderation considering the obesity problem they currently face.
The American methodology of labling food differs from EU standards. Saturated fats are by far the greatest problem giving rise to our highest killer in Ireland, heart disease.
Go easy on the fry-up Jon !

Hi Lloyd2012

I think that's the problem, moderation. Hence my caveat in the OP.

Reading the 3 articles, US medical authorities, are suggesting re saturated fat (quote) “..... de-emphasise” saturated fat, given “the lack of evidence connecting it with cardiovascular disease”...... "

So (if the articles are right - and one comes from the Times'.. and talks about the US medical authorities, not another research paper) then the established view of saturated fats - that we've all been programmed with (and what I also believed for years) - may be questionable. Hence in Ireland you may just have another problem

Also, it could be that sugar is a far bigger problem.

But every 6 months there is a new 'discovery' -e.g I've been hearing about margarine vs butter for years, as the advice flip-flops.

I just think moderation is the key, and as someone that hopes to learn from his mistakes, I need to moderate more

But I am still going to do a monster fry-up this week. In Brussels a couple of weeks ago M+S opened, with a food hall, so I'm going to get the things that you cant get here. Proper sausages and bacon, (and double cream!)... You cant beat an English, or Irish breakfast mmmmmmmmmm!

Jon
Old Jul 4th 2015, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

jogger is on a distinguished road

It's the sugar and hydrogenated, trans fats that are the biggest problem, even in Ireland. Carbs turn to sugar in the body which leads to the bad fats build up. Saturated fat is needed, coconut oil, Kerrygold (grass fed cows) butter. If you're not convinced watch the film Cereal Killers around a fit young man and the story of his father who played GAA football.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 10:15 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by jogger
It's the sugar and hydrogenated, trans fats that are the biggest problem, even in Ireland. Carbs turn to sugar in the body which leads to the bad fats build up. Saturated fat is needed, coconut oil, Kerrygold (grass fed cows) butter. If you're not convinced watch the film Cereal Killers around a fit young man and the story of his father who played GAA football.
Hi I was just spreading the news from a large study and (hopefully) trusted source, i.e the US government. With all the lawsuits out there, I doubt they would make such announcements without decades of study.

Nothing to do with not being 'convinced' - I'm sure (and know) there's a million articles out there on all this. Take your pick. We've all heard about trans fats as well. But that wasnt the point of the OP.

So my view, again, is
  • that there is good evidence that Cholesterol in food and even fatty foods/saturated fats may not be as bad as we have been told for years..
  • and may not contribute so badly to heart disease.
  • Sugar seems to be worse....
  • and in the end moderation is the key to everything.

For me this was good news - as a butter lover - fry-up lover (etc!)

Jon
Old Jul 4th 2015, 3:26 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - moderation is the key!

I'm fed up with 'trusted authorities' flip-flopping advice about every aspect of nutrition.

Incidentally some of the lunatic fringe would laugh at the notion that any US authority could be trusted as they are all in the pay of BIG SOMETHING.

They say aspartame is safe, which it is, but vast numbers of people believe it's not for some reason. They say GMOs are safe - which they are - but again many don't believe so.

And don't get me started on the growing number of nutrition experts who are anything but - Vani Hari 'The Food Babe' foremost amongst them, also Gillian McKeith and Patrick Holford.

Here is a Guardian article on this current trend...

And another thing - how come everyone's suddenly become intolerant to everything - lactose, gluten and so on? (hint - they haven't)

I have a friend who has taken advice from a 'nutrition consultant', actually an osteopath, and she is off all meat and lactose on his instructions. Trouble is she's a serious anorexic and I have grave doubts about his competence. Nothing I can do about it though.

Have a good fry up - but I wouldn't do it every day.

Last edited by jimenato; Jul 4th 2015 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Have a good fry up - but I wouldn't do it every day.
Tomorrow Sunday is fry up day