Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Old Dec 24th 2023, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Merry Christmas

I'm wishing you all a Merry Christmas and thank you once again for all the help I've got from you.

I'm now at the Costa de Sol, job is OK, but it is very difficult and expensive getting a long term flat. Looked at an apartment 30 qm for 750 Euros + bills. Decided to move near Alicante/Torrevieja next year, there I could get a flat 55 qm for 650 Euros and there are more flats available, so that sounds better. Still dreaming of an apartment with a big terrace or roof terrace where I could grow some tomatoes and other things :-) Anyway I think Spain is the country I would like to live in forever, because most of people I have met so far are very friendly, but I need to learn more Spanish to have proper conversations.

Have a great day tomorrow
Christine
Old Dec 25th 2023, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Merry Christmas

Hola Christine - feliz navidad.

Plenty of cheap flats in Torrevieja (my old stomping ground)

https://www.idealista.com/alquiler-v...or=precios-asc

Alicante city has got expensive now - and the cheap barrios can be a bit grim.

Good luck and enjoy
Old Dec 26th 2023, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

spainrico - that's great, so I could ask you the 87 question about Torrevieja I've No don't worry was a joke maybe few questions and an important one please.

They sometimes advertise long term rentals here at the Costa del Sol, but it means often that it is only till May and you have to move out over the summer months. Is it the same in Torrevieja or does long term rental mean that you could rent it for a year or even longer? Hope all this makes sense, but I've to ask, because that is the main reason why I want to move away, because it really scares me.

Thank you in advance
Christine

Old Dec 27th 2023, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

This happens in all coastal areas - either the owner wants to use the flat or switch to short-term holiday lets to maximise holiday rental income - but the advert should make this clear whether it is true long-term or seasonal.

Always ask the owner/agent if the contract is for long-term rental and explain you do not want to vacate in the summer months.

Unfortunately, this need to clear out in the summer has increased and of course, makes it impossible for long-term renters to comply with.

f you were to decide to live more inland this would be much less of an issue but maybe that does not suit your needs.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 7:30 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
This happens in all coastal areas - either the owner wants to use the flat or switch to short-term holiday lets to maximise holiday rental income - but the advert should make this clear whether it is true long-term or seasonal.

Always ask the owner/agent if the contract is for long-term rental and explain you do not want to vacate in the summer months.

Unfortunately, this need to clear out in the summer has increased and of course, makes it impossible for long-term renters to comply with.

f you were to decide to live more inland this would be much less of an issue but maybe that does not suit your needs.
Legally speaking, does this mean that they should have a tourist licence to do this?

Try asking them for the tourist licence number first
Old Dec 27th 2023, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

It`s all about the money. I pay now 750 Euros for my apartment, but they charge and holiday makers pay 750 Euros per week in the summer. People pay it because they want the sun and that`s the reason why more and more people buying here holiday homes. I feel sorry for the Spanish people they are working here in the restaurants and bars they don`t earn a lot and can`t pay such high rentals.

Is there an area of Torrevieja I should avoid moving too?

How about the mosquitoes? I have been told there are a lot around the salt lakes, but it is OK if you live near the sea, is that true? People are telling a lot but good to ask somebody who should know :-)

Thanks a lot Christine
Old Dec 28th 2023, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, that is the current economics of the rental market - supply and demand. But not all landlords want the additional overheads of the short-term rentals and the tax implications vs long-termers.

Mozzies can be a problem living near the lakes - but with nets etc the problem can be controlled. I lived in the centre and hardly noticed them. I always suggest people spend some time looking around and maybe a short AirBnB to get a real feel of an area and find one that suits you before committing.

But at the end of the day, you get what you pay for and the cheaper rentals will be in the less desirable areas with less demand unless you are lucky and find a landlord who is happy to sign a deal - spend time looking and comparing.

https://www.idealista.com/alquiler-v...or=precios-asc

Plenty of availability around Torrevieja and also take time to look for alquiler boards displayed which may not be on the net.

Old Jan 1st 2024, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Thank you spainrico and a happy new year. My rental contract goes till end of march, the I'll take a temporary apartment and have a look around for a permanent. Think/Hope that is a good plan.
May I ask you why you have moved away from Torrevieja?
Old Jan 1st 2024, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks and you.

I had been there a while and fancied a change of scenery and to be nearer Alicante and the mountains as I love hiking.