Friendly names

Old Jan 2nd 2016, 10:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Friendly names

Whilst staying in a hotel for Christmas I noticed that the staff who spoke any English would throw "love" or "darling" onto the ends of a sentence and I realised that they had picked this up from the people staying at the hotel and not from their lessons.

So I thought that it might be a bit of fun to say what names are used in different areas in the UK and Spain.

In my town they are inclined to use guapo and guapa more than anything else. When I lived in Cornwall it was cock or hen. I cannot remember what we used in Devon.

Rosemary
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:10 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friendly names

In the westcountry - "me luvver".

In Jimena - "guapa/guapo" (although I have to say I wasn't often addressed thus) and - oddly often between women - "coño".

Last edited by jimenato; Jan 2nd 2016 at 12:17 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
In the westcountry - "me luvver".

In Jimena - "guapa/guapo" (although I have to say I wasn't often addressed thus) and - oddly often between women - "coño".
My MIL used to say "duck", she was from Sheffield.

Yes, "me luvver" is West Country, I had forgotten. I know that we used to use something else as well in Plymouth but my brain cannot come up with it.

I was totally stunned the first time that someone shouted guapa to me here, sounds so strange when you are old.

Rosemary
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 1:27 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I was once addressed as "guapo" by three giggling teenage girls. I'm pretty sure they weren't serious.

Mind you go back a few decades...
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
My MIL used to say "duck", she was from Sheffield. Yes, "me luvver" is West Country, I had forgotten. I know that we used to use something else as well in Plymouth but my brain cannot come up with it. I was totally stunned the first time that someone shouted guapa to me here, sounds so strange when you are old. Rosemary
Probably nearer "my luvver" or alternatively "my 'ansumm" (or maybe that was just for me, LOL) "me" is a bit estuary!
[former Devonian]
Old Jan 6th 2016, 10:08 pm

My ´ansumm, that is the one that I could not remember. Thank you.

Rosemary
Old Jan 6th 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary was your MIL originally from Sheffield? I'm Sheffield born & bred and The term always used there is Love or lovey.
Duck is more Derbyshire/Notts area. Maybe she was from the deep south of Sheffield

At first in Spain I was quite taken by the fact that certain ladies in our town seemed to be addressing me by "Hola guapo" whenever I passed them, until I realised that they were in fact speaking to my dog.

coño is also widely used here in Sevilla, along with Tio/tia.

What makes me smile is ladies in their 70's & 80's calling each other niña

Last edited by big wheels; Jan 6th 2016 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by big wheels
Rosemary was your MIL originally from Sheffield? I'm Sheffield born & bred and The term always used there is Love or lovey.
Duck is more Derbyshire/Notts area. Maybe she was from the deep south of Sheffield

At first in Spain I was quite taken by the fact that certain ladies in our town seemed to be addressing me by "Hola guapo" whenever I passed them, until I realised that they were in fact speaking to my dog.

coño is also widely used here in Sevilla, along with Tio/tia.

What makes me smile is ladies in their 70's & 80's calling each other niña
Yes she was 100% Sheffield but by the time I knew her she was living in the south and had friends from other places so she might have picked up one of their favourites. Edit; I just remembered that Graham said that as they lived on the edge of Sheffield he used to take long walks into Derbyshire so that links with what you said.

The women here tend to say chica rather than niña to each other, but they also use tio and tia a lot.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 7th 2016 at 7:24 am.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 8:33 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Probably nearer "my luvver" or alternatively "my 'ansumm" (or maybe that was just for me, LOL) "me" is a bit estuary!
[former Devonian]
The Westcountry is a big place. The bit where I come from (N. Somerset) they can't say "my" it comes out as "moy" or even "muy" - but often it's "me". The "r" on the end of "luvver" is extended and exaggerated as well - "moy luvverr" is about right.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 8:38 am
FreeThinker

You get the odd "cariño" in Jimena.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by jimenato
The Westcountry is a big place. The bit where I come from (N. Somerset) they can't say "my" it comes out as "moy" or even "muy" - but often it's "me". The "r" on the end of "luvver" is extended and exaggerated as well - "moy luvverr" is about right.
Remember that well as I had family in Nether Stowey.

Rosemary
Old Jan 7th 2016, 9:28 am
FreeThinker

Remember that well as I had family in Nether Stowey.

Rosemary
Know it well - we were there the other day doing a gig in The George Hotel.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 8:22 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I Wouldn't have thought anything could be more friendly than the typical N.E. expression, "pet".
However when out with an Austrian Lady one evening and just being my usual friendly self, I referred to her as such, only to receive a somewhat hostile outraged reply.......

"Do Not Call Me Pet, I Am Not An Animal" !!!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:52 am

My kids could never understand or accept that our lovely Doctor called them pet as it was not a Cornish endearment.

Rosemary.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, "me luvver" is West Country, I had forgotten. I know that we used to use something else as well in Plymouth but my brain cannot come up with it.

Rosemary
My part of the South West it would have been "Alright bird"