Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

One for the chefs - Calamares Fritos

One for the chefs - Calamares Fritos

Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light
Default One for the chefs - Calamares Fritos

I've enjoyed this dish in restaurants but can't seem to replicate it at home.

I have a receipe which says: marinate the squid in olive oil and garlic for a while, then remove the garlic, coat with flour and shallow fry in more oil.

All I end up with is a disgusting (although tasty) mess as all the flour comes off the squid during the frying.

How do you get that light, crisp batter coating?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One for the chefs - Calamares Fritos

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose

I have a receipe which says: marinate the squid in olive oil and garlic for a while, then remove the garlic, coat with flour and shallow fry in more oil.

All I end up with is a disgusting (although tasty) mess as all the flour comes off the squid during the frying.

do you mean a la romana? in batter as opposed to just fried ??

try a tempura batter - four, egg & ice cold water

do the marinade bit, coat with four & then dip in the batter - then deep fry
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnxa
do you mean a la romana? in batter as opposed to just fried ??

try a tempura batter - four, egg & ice cold water

do the marinade bit, coat with four & then dip in the batter - then deep fry
Maybe I do mean a la romana, the picture in the receipe book makes it look as if they have batter on them but it clearly doesn't work.

I tried tempura flour but without using egg. So I'll give that a go, thanks.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:04 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I do mean a la romana, the picture in the receipe book makes it look as if they have batter on them but it clearly doesn't work.

I tried tempura flour but without using egg. So I'll give that a go, thanks.
I just use ordinary flour tbh - the icy water makes all the difference
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

I just use ordinary flour tbh - the icy water makes all the difference
That's lunch sorted then
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:14 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I use the smaller calamares - body about 8-10 cm long. I cut each body into about 4 pieces and just dip them in coating flour - Harina para Rebozados (not ordinary flour) and deep fry for about 2 minutes maximum.

The flour sticks OK as they are always a bit sticky.

I do the same with Boquerones.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 31st 2012 at 9:17 am.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem is most likely the olive oil in the marinade, just season the squid and then straight into flour and then a light coating of tempura batter
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I cheat and buy them frozen in Mercadona with the batter on already! Provided the oil is hot enough and deep enough, and you don't put in too many at a time which cools the oil, they are lovely.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just had them for lunch - marinaded and then coated with batter made with egg & iced water.

Worked perfectly, delicious. Thanks everyone
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I'm afraid I cheat and buy them frozen in Mercadona with the batter on already! Provided the oil is hot enough and deep enough, and you don't put in too many at a time which cools the oil, they are lovely.
yes - I do if there are lots of us - & sometimes the minced 'delices de calamar a la romana' if we have unadventurous non-spanish guests

I remember years ago when I did them for one of my dd's birthday parties - one of the little English girls who lived opposite us took a bite & spat it out

she said the doughnuts tasted horrible
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

yes - I do if there are lots of us - & sometimes the minced 'delices de calamar a la romana' if we have unadventurous non-spanish guests

I remember years ago when I did them for one of my dd's birthday parties - one of the little English girls who lived opposite us took a bite & spat it out

she said the doughnuts tasted horrible
LOL, sounds like the first time my BF tried a mince pie! He took "mincemeat" literally ...
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
LOL, sounds like the first time my BF tried a mince pie! He took "mincemeat" literally ...
don't blame him for spitting that out