Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking for thoughts on something.

Looking for thoughts on something.

Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for thoughts on something.

I have a seasonal opportunity (maybe permanent) at my pub for a keen, enthusiastic chef. I can offer accommodation as part of the package. I am on the south coast UK just outside Chichester.
Our food offer is up-market pub food with a mediterranean influence as I have a Portuguese head chef.

I would like to expand the "mediterranean influence" of our menu and thought that I would float the idea amongst our community here on BE.

The job is basically a 5 and half day week, live in, free internet/food/laundry etc and a negotiable wage of around £200 per week nett.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 6:40 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunity?

I'll try the obvious. Have you tried Gumtree? AnyworkAnywhere? TNT? I used to know quite a few people around that area who might have been able to help you but I've been away from Sussex for 4 years now.
I'd be interested in knowing where it is as we are back in August and it would be good to go to a new place (for us I mean)
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:59 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you're after a Spanish chef, maybe you could advertise on MundoSpanish - they have a regular jobs list for spanish abroad here:

http://www.mundospanish.com/blog/Bol...rnacional.html

Otherwise Gumtree as mentioned seems the best place to advertise. (or even http://www.spaniards.es/foros )
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi RM, I have never used those sites before but the people I know that have used them don't speak to favourably.
I was a bit disappointed that the thread got moved because I really wanted to hear peoples opinion about whether it would be an attractive offer. If the responses were to be fairly positive then I would attempt to advertise on some Spanish media.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi RM, I was rather hoping for a discussion about whether the job would appeal to a young person in Spain and then try to recruit through a Spanish media. Friends who have used Gumtree etc. don't generally say anything too positive.
Thanks for the reply.
I have sent you a pm regarding the pub.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:43 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Hi RM, I have never used those sites before but the people I know that have used them don't speak to favourably.
I was a bit disappointed that the thread got moved because I really wanted to hear peoples opinion about whether it would be an attractive offer. If the responses were to be fairly positive then I would attempt to advertise on some Spanish media.
Just to clarify your intent on posting was to ask for suggestions on where other members thought the best would be for you to locate an employee, rather than posting a job offer? If so I'll move the thread back for you.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:51 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stu, cheers for the PM.... I have bought and sold through Gumtree and have found work and advertised with it as well and have had loads of luck but I do realise that a degree of uncertainty is involved with them so I do appreciate the apprehension. As a thought is it not worth getting in touch with the Portuguese and Spanish community in Chi? I did have details of a newsletter they used to do but can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

I will ask a few friends if they can remember and get back to you.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Matt, I used to have good links with the local Brazillian community but that has somewhat dried up owing to the exhorbitant cost of studying in the UK from outside the UK. I have never quite tapped into the local Iberian market (for want of a better phrase) and would welcome any suggestions you may have.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:12 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for thoughts on something.

Provided one is careful Gumtree is great. I regularly sell items on Gumtree and have had no problems.

I don't see what the risk is for you? What do you have to lose?

I must say, OPs post looks suspiciously like an advertisement to me.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by missile
Provided one is careful Gumtree is great. I regularly sell items on Gumtree and have had no problems.

I don't see what the risk is for you? What do you have to lose?

I must say, OPs post looks suspiciously like an advertisement to me.
I agree, which is why the thread was originally moved to 'job offers'.

What I was trying to ascertain is whether or not people on here thought it would be an attractive offer for a keen and enthusiastic chef from Spain.
Why does one have to be careful with Gumtree?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:56 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

What I was trying to ascertain is whether or not people on here thought it would be an attractive offer for a keen and enthusiastic chef from Spain.
I am sure it would be attractive and there are many spaniards looking for work.
However, I doubt you will find many via this forum.

As with all of these online web sites there is a risk of being scammed when you buy. As a seller you should take care to hide any personal details e.g. do not name your restaurant or your phone number, only responses by e mail via Gumtree. You can vet any responses and contact them direct.

Gumtree has no feedback with which to assess the seller / buyer profile, but eBay and Amazon feedback scores can easily be faked.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:23 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you are asking whether the pay (with accom included) is an attractive one, surely it depends on the local levels? What I'm saying is, ok maybe you get someone from Leon or Cordoba who comes over to work for you. But if he (or she) spots that you're paying 100 a week less than competitors, they'll move on? I'm sure you're probably in the right ball-park - the people I know who've worked as a chef and then moved onto other jobs tell me the rewards are normally very small for the hours worked/effort they have to put in.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
If you are asking whether the pay (with accom included) is an attractive one, surely it depends on the local levels? What I'm saying is, ok maybe you get someone from Leon or Cordoba who comes over to work for you. But if he (or she) spots that you're paying 100 a week less than competitors, they'll move on? I'm sure you're probably in the right ball-park - the people I know who've worked as a chef and then moved onto other jobs tell me the rewards are normally very small for the hours worked/effort they have to put in.
The pay is about the local level, I am not seeking to exploit anyone just to add another dimension to the menu. Rewards are generally poor at the lowel levels of any job in the hospitality industry and I agree that the hours are unsociable and the work hard which is why hardly any youngsters apply for these types of jobs. The ones that do think they'll be a Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver within six months despite the fact that they can't often produce the basics.
Thanks for the links Stevie
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:51 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

so it appears that someone can't (shouldn't) live out in Spain on €800 but it is ok to pay someone £800 in the Uk

yes its all found, but it seems a bit low for the South Coast.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:55 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Domino
so it appears that someone can't (shouldn't) live out in Spain on €800 but it is ok to pay someone £800 in the Uk

yes its all found, but it seems a bit low for the South Coast.
That's a very good point you made there Dom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.