Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any cryptic minds out there

Any cryptic minds out there

Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any cryptic minds out there

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
Again answer seems obvious -
Spoiler:
OTHELLO
, again this is one I'd get from the letters rather than working it out though...
That's what I put which makes the second letter in the big fat bird clue an 'o'

BTW how did you get to 'Brownian' from 'Have to stop boy from such a motion
Old Jul 26th 2014, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
That's what I put which makes the second letter in the big fat bird clue an 'o'

BTW how did you get to 'Brownian' from 'Have to stop boy from such a motion
I don't think Othello is right then, now that I look at it more it's definitely ostrich
big = os
tons = t
fat = rich

Brownian have = own
to stop = contained in
boy = brian
actually whenever I see motion with 8 I try to fit brownian in, it's an old favourite :-)
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Othello is right then, now that I look at it more it's definitely ostrich
big = os
tons = t
fat = rich

Brownian have = own
to stop = contained in
boy = brian
actually whenever I see motion with 8 I try to fit brownian in, it's an old favourite :-)
I would never have got that. In fact its the first time I've heard of 'Brownian'

I agree you about 'ostrich'

So that leaves;

Unreliable character's part ending in tragedy(7)
S*****O

and

Discontinue Parliamentary sessions for withdrawing inferior plant (5)
R****

Just worked this one out
Spoiler:
rogue

Last edited by stuboy; Jul 26th 2014 at 11:32 am.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

I would never have got that. In fact its the first time I've heard of 'Brownian'

I agree you about 'ostrich'

So that leaves;

Unreliable character's part ending in tragedy(7)
S*****O

and

Discontinue Parliamentary sessions for withdrawing inferior plant (5)
R****

Just worked this one out
Spoiler:
rogue
Brownian motion - watch your tea leaves in a cup of tea :-) That's Brownian motion at work.

So back to the missing clue - that O looks wrong.. I suspect it's more likely to be s*****y from the ending in tragedy...streaky fits the unreliable but don't know how character's part equates to streak
Old Jul 27th 2014, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

...streaky fits the unreliable but don't know how character's part equates to streak
From the Chambers dictionary -- a slight ingredient; trace: a streak of humor.

So a part of character = streak it's definitely streaky.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Brownian motion - watch your tea leaves in a cup of tea :-) That's Brownian motion at work.

So back to the missing clue - that O looks wrong.. I suspect it's more likely to be s*****y from the ending in tragedy...streaky fits the unreliable but don't know how character's part equates to streak
The 'O' comes from

What anorak perhaps does for fatigue (9)

***S*R*I*
My answer was constrain which gives me second letter 'O' I suppose it could be 'eyestrain' which would give us the 'y'

Just got it EYES_TRAIN . Anorak - train spotter

Your a genius

Try this one, it will help with the other

In recession one third off fermented milk product that may contain fruit (4)
*R*G

Last edited by stuboy; Jul 27th 2014 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

In recession one third off fermented milk product that may contain fruit (4)
*R*G
fermented milk product = yogurt take 1/3 off and turn upside down gives trug which as any gardener will tell you is a basket for fruit or veggies..

Meant to say I'm quite enjoying these - tough but solvable, unlike those Friday DA puzzles in the Sydney Morning Herald, which have me swearing all weekend ... :-)

Last edited by TakenThePlunge; Jul 28th 2014 at 10:13 am. Reason: a bit of context
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

fermented milk product = yogurt take 1/3 off and turn upside down gives trug which as any gardener will tell you is a basket for fruit or veggies..

Meant to say I'm quite enjoying these - tough but solvable, unlike those Friday DA puzzles in the Sydney Morning Herald, which have me swearing all weekend ... :-)
I tried everything with 'yogurt' as the third off is often easy to spot. It was the in recession bit that I couldn't figure. I didn't think about turning it around.

Ta for that.

And lastly what do you suggest for

Snarls and rants about beginning to lose. (6)
*A*E*S

I would be interested to see a few from the Daily Herald
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

I tried everything with 'yogurt' as the third off is often easy to spot. It was the in recession bit that I couldn't figure. I didn't think about turning it around.

Ta for that.

And lastly what do you suggest for

Snarls and rants about beginning to lose. (6)
*A*E*S

I would be interested to see a few from the Daily Herald
Snarls as in tangles....
Spoiler:
so that gives raves about l ... ravels

I only do Fridays so I'll put some of the more evil ones in here then :-)
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Snarls as in tangles....
Spoiler:
so that gives raves about l ... ravels

I only do Fridays so I'll put some of the more evil ones in here then :-)
Damn. I had that and the more I looked at it the less I liked it.

Looking forward to the Herald ones.

A few years ago I was in the US for 3 months. I tried a few ordinary crosswords in the papers and could hardly get started. I remember on two occasions being sat outside with my crossword and coffee and as happens you end up chatting to someone.

Once they realised I was English they were surprised that I couldn't even get what they thought were the simplest of clues. When I saw the answers I was really none the wiser.

Is this the same Down Under?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Actually I've just realised he puts it on line - here's last Fridays

There is the odd one or two where you need Australian knowledge, but in the main very much like a tough Daily Telegraph crossword.

incidentally this is one of his easier ones, I managed to solve it before I got home on the train, a rarity indeed.

Last edited by TakenThePlunge; Jul 29th 2014 at 10:06 am.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that I'm part way through it.

I'm stuck on 3.

Uncovered more metal resources exploring ridge initially.(5)

B*R**

Sources of energy king found in some wines. (5)
C***S

The last letter of the first one is the third letter of the second one.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm stuck on 3.

Uncovered more metal resources exploring ridge initially.(5)

B*R**

Sources of energy king found in some wines. (5)
C***S

The last letter of the first one is the third letter of the second one.
Think exploring ridge initially for the last 2 letters
Spoiler:
BARER - BAR + ER

I think that the second is
Spoiler:
corks
but I can't quite convince myself
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm stuck on 3.
7, 11 and 12 are going to need a bit of Aussie knowledge

3 is an anagram
Old Aug 1st 2014, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Think exploring ridge initially for the last 2 letters
Spoiler:
BARER - BAR + ER

I think that the second is
Spoiler:
corks
but I can't quite convince myself
That's as far as I got but like yourself couldn't quite convince myself. Its the 'sources of energy' part that is throwing me.
I've tried, corks, cavas, and crus to no avail.

I'll keep thinking.

Will probably be back needing help with the Herald

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.