Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.asia
Reload this Page >

Squat toilet technique

Squat toilet technique

Old Aug 14th 2002, 8:54 am
Mark Niedermayer

Default Squat toilet technique

Dear fellow travellers,

Some of you may find this posting disgusting. If that is the case, please ignore
this post.

I've been searching the newsgroups for information regarding this subject, but I can
only find some postings that touches the subject briefly.

I've been travelling some and I have encountered squat toilets a couple of times, but
I could never find out the best technique to release my load without:

1. ...having my pants soaked with micro-organism packed floor fluid
2. ...falling over

I'm just about to make a long trip in SE asia and I'm asking for your help. What is
your best squat toilet technique? What position do you use? Do you remove your pants
entirely? If so, where do you put them? Are there any artifacts that you always bring
with you, that will make the squat toilet visit easier?

This posting is half seriuos, half for fun. So, aside from the technique part, please
feel free to post your best toilet stories. (Again, I hope this doesn't offend
anybody. After all, unloading is part of everyones life. Even Lady Di occasionally
went to the bathroom...)

/Mark

Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:52 am
Sibbick1

Default Re: Squat toilet technique

When my wife squats she is able to easily balance with her feet perfectly flat on the
ground. She doesn't need to take anything completely off and seems to manage with
ease. I have to take my pants completely off and I kneel on the ground. I usually
find I have to use the water provided to wash my knees as well as other places.

"Mark Niedermayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > Dear fellow travellers,
    > Some of you may find this posting disgusting. If that is the case, please ignore
    > this post.
    > I've been searching the newsgroups for information regarding this subject, but I
    > can only find some postings that touches the subject briefly.
    > I've been travelling some and I have encountered squat toilets a couple of times,
    > but I could never find out the best technique to release my load without:
    > 1. ...having my pants soaked with micro-organism packed floor fluid
    > 2. ...falling over
    > I'm just about to make a long trip in SE asia and I'm asking for your help. What is
    > your best squat toilet technique? What position do you use? Do you remove your
    > pants entirely? If so, where do you put them? Are there any artifacts that you
    > always bring with you, that will make the squat toilet visit easier?
    > This posting is half seriuos, half for fun. So, aside from the technique part,
    > please feel free to post your best toilet stories. (Again, I hope this doesn't
    > offend anybody. After all, unloading is part of everyones life. Even Lady Di
    > occasionally went to the bathroom...)
    > /Mark

Old Aug 14th 2002, 10:51 am
Jan

::
    :: "Mark Niedermayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    :: e.com
    ::: Dear fellow travellers,
    :::
    ::: Some of you may find this posting disgusting. If that is the case, please ignore
    ::: this post.
    ::: I've been searching the newsgroups for information regarding this subject, but I
    ::: can only find some postings that touches the subject briefly.
    ::: I've been travelling some and I have encountered squat toilets a couple of times,
    ::: but I could never find out the best technique to release my load without:
    ::: 1. ...having my pants soaked with micro-organism packed floor fluid
    ::: 2. ...falling over
    ::: I'm just about to make a long trip in SE asia and I'm asking for your help. What
    ::: is your best squat toilet technique? What position do you use? Do you remove your
    ::: pants entirely? If so, where do you put them? Are there any artifacts that you
    ::: always bring with you, that will make the squat toilet visit easier?
    ::: This posting is half seriuos, half for fun. So, aside from the technique part,
    ::: please feel free to post your best toilet stories. (Again, I hope this doesn't
    ::: offend anybody. After all, unloading is part of everyones life. Even Lady Di
    ::: occasionally went to the bathroom...)
    ::: /Mark

Not much help to the guys, But it is a reasonably easy task if you're wearing a
skirt. When we were in India, we preferred to use squat toilets esp. on
trains...trust me they are much much cleaner !!

Jan

Old Aug 14th 2002, 12:56 pm
Mo

It certainly took a bit of getting used to but after a bout of dysentry in Thailand I
was left with no choice.

It is not too bad if you have something you can hold on to to steady your balance.

Can feel quite strange walking down the street afterwards with a big wet patch on my
arse after washing myself!

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ::
    > :: "Mark Niedermayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > :: oogle.com
    > ::: Dear fellow travellers,
    > :::
    > ::: Some of you may find this posting disgusting. If that is the case, please
    > ::: ignore this post.
    > ::: I've been searching the newsgroups for information regarding this subject, but
    > ::: I can only find some postings that touches the subject briefly.
    > ::: I've been travelling some and I have encountered squat toilets a couple of
    > ::: times, but I could never find out the best technique to release my load
    > ::: without:
    > ::: 1. ...having my pants soaked with micro-organism packed floor fluid
    > ::: 2. ...falling over
    > ::: I'm just about to make a long trip in SE asia and I'm asking for your help.
    > ::: What is your best squat toilet technique? What position do you use? Do you
    > ::: remove your pants entirely? If so, where do you put them? Are there any
    > ::: artifacts that you always bring with you, that will make the squat toilet visit
    > ::: easier?
    > ::: This posting is half seriuos, half for fun. So, aside from the technique part,
    > ::: please feel free to post your best toilet stories. (Again, I hope this doesn't
    > ::: offend anybody. After all, unloading is part of everyones life. Even Lady Di
    > ::: occasionally went to the bathroom...)
    > ::: /Mark
    > Not much help to the guys, But it is a reasonably easy task if you're wearing a
    > skirt. When we were in India, we preferred to use squat toilets esp. on
    > trains...trust me they are much much cleaner !!
    > Jan

Old Aug 14th 2002, 4:05 pm
Peter L

Don't wear floppy pants. For women the best is to wear tights. For men roll up the
pant legs. Squat with you feet flat on the ground, instead of trying to balance on
the balls of your feet.

Most important of all, practice, practice, practice.

"Mark Niedermayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > Some of you may find this posting disgusting. If that is the case, please ignore
    > this post.
    > I've been searching the newsgroups for information regarding this subject, but I
    > I've been travelling some and I have encountered squat toilets a couple of times,
    > 2. ...falling over
    > I'm just about to make a long trip in SE asia and I'm asking for your help. What is
    > your best squat toilet technique? What position do you use? Do you remove your
    > pants entirely? If so, where do you put them? Are there any artifacts that you
    > This posting is half seriuos, half for fun. So, aside from the technique part,
    > please feel free to post your best toilet stories. (Again, I hope this doesn't
    > /Mark

Old Aug 14th 2002, 4:21 pm
Thegoons

I'll never forget, busting to use the toilet in the bus terminal at Nagoya Station
(Meitetsu) in Japan. as feeling crook in the stomach and ran into the toilets. Damn,
they were all squat toilets, not a western one is site. Just great when you are
feeling crook.

Anyhow, I went into the cubicle, managed to get into some sort of yoga twist to
position myself supporting agsint the wall with my arms, whilst trying to keep my
trousers out of the water and from being shat into.

Aimed up, closed my eyes, and away I went. I thought.. wow, first time I have
successfully managed to use a squat toilet. Until I turned around and saw a few stray
turds on the floor.

As I left the cubicle, another gentleman went to enter. ALl I could do is put my
fingers on my nose and ahake my head in disgust, as if it was someone else!!!

Mark Niedermayer wrote:

> this post.
    > 2. ...falling over
    > /Mark

Old Aug 14th 2002, 4:54 pm
Bill Wu

I grew up using squat toilets and here is how I did it. I am sure there are other
ways as well. Pull the pants half way or more down (below the knees and above the
ankles). You don't really need to take off your pants completely. Plant your feet
on the sides of the toilet, and lean forward a little bit. This leaning is quite
important especially for beginners. You would not get tired that easily if you lean
forward a little. Don't lean forward too much as your pants may act as a collecting
basket And try not to swing side to side either, for the same reason. I had
friends complaining tiring out after couple of minutes when they first used the squat
toilets. Leaning forward apparently helped them.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 5:29 pm
Larry

Squat facing the door (if there is one), with your feet firmly on the footrests.
Just be cautious that your clothing does not drag. Do not remove your pants, as
there probably is nowhere to put them.

Carry toilet paper, as in some regions it is not used (the preference is for water,
considered to be more sanitary).

If there is a small basket, probably with a lid, that is for the used toilet paper,
which will clog the cesspool if flushed down.

Except in the most primitive areas, the toilet flushes like any other.

Larry at Morro Bay, California (seaotter #six at a o l dot com)(no spaces in address)

Old Aug 14th 2002, 6:04 pm
Archie

On 14 Aug 2002 01:54:02 -0700, [email protected] (Mark Niedermayer) wrote:

>Dear fellow travellers,
    >Some of you may find this posting disgusting. If that is the case, please ignore
    >this post.
    >I've been searching the newsgroups for information regarding this subject, but I can
    >only find some postings that touches the subject briefly.
    >I've been travelling some and I have encountered squat toilets a couple of times,
    >but I could never find out the best technique to release my load without:
    >1. ...having my pants soaked with micro-organism packed floor fluid
    >2. ...falling over
    >I'm just about to make a long trip in SE asia and I'm asking for your help. What is
    >your best squat toilet technique? What position do you use? Do you remove your pants
    >entirely? If so, where do you put them? Are there any artifacts that you always
    >bring with you, that will make the squat toilet visit easier?
    >This posting is half seriuos, half for fun. So, aside from the technique part,
    >please feel free to post your best toilet stories. (Again, I hope this doesn't
    >offend anybody. After all, unloading is part of everyones life. Even Lady Di
    >occasionally went to the bathroom...)
    >/Mark

Old Aug 14th 2002, 6:15 pm
Good Hong Tin

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:52:03 +1000, "sibbick1" <[email protected]> wrote:

>When my wife squats she is able to easily balance with her feet perfectly flat on
    >the ground. She doesn't need to take anything completely off and seems to manage
    >with ease.

you must have a singapourian wife.........

Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:01 pm
Rramakri

[email protected] (Mark Niedermayer) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > this post.
    > 2. ...falling over
    > /Mark

Mark,

Now I have heard everything ;-)

Seriously, the best way is to take off your trousers/shorts and the underwear. Hang
it on the doorknob, water faucet or whatever you can find. Squat on the front of
your feet (with the heel raised) and go about your business. As somebody mentioned,
if helps to have something to hold on to.

As you probably know, these kind of toilets tend to have wet floor. It is not easy to
take off your shoes, then your pants and underwear, unload, put on your undewear &
pants, and put on your shoes without mishaps. It takes a little practice.

Of course, if you have the privacy, like in a hotel room, the best thing to do is to
strip completely before entering the toilet.

Have fun. After you return, let us know how you coped!!

RR

Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:09 pm
Peter L

"rramakri" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > Mark,
    > Now I have heard everything ;-)
    > Seriously, the best way is to take off your trousers/shorts and the underwear.

How are you going to do that with your shoes on?

> Hang it on the doorknob, water faucet or whatever you can find.

Door knob? Sometimes you'd be lucky to find a door at all.

>Squat on the front of your feet (with the heel raised) and go about your business.

Bad form. You'll tire much faster with this technique. Best is to have both feet
flat on the ground.

> As somebody mentioned, if helps to have something to hold on to.
    > As you probably know, these kind of toilets tend to have wet floor. It is not easy
    > to take off your shoes, then your pants and underwear, unload, put on your undewear
    > & pants, and put on your shoes without mishaps. It takes a little practice.
    > Of course, if you have the privacy, like in a hotel room, the best thing to do is
    > to strip completely before entering the toilet.
    > Have fun. After you return, let us know how you coped!!
    > RR

Old Aug 14th 2002, 11:20 pm
Thomas F . Unke

[email protected] (rramakri) writes:

> Seriously, the best way is to take off your trousers/shorts and the underwear.
    > Hang it on the doorknob, water faucet or whatever you can find. Squat on the front
    > of your feet (with the heel raised) and go about your business. As somebody
    > mentioned, if helps to have something to hold on to.

That's my style too.

But there is one more problem: I use to keep balance (I'm tall) with both of my
hands. But then my dick is freely moving up and down (and peeing somewhere) as I do
my work. To avoid this, I have to hold my dick with one hand, but then I have
problems keeping the balance.

Somehow I use to manage these toilets. But I hate them.

Normally I try to have a hotel room with Western toilet, and *only* shit there. Make
yourself mentally fit that you just shit in the morning after breakfast (strong
coffee helps).

Old Aug 15th 2002, 5:49 am
Miguel Cruz

sibbick1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > When my wife squats she is able to easily balance with her feet perfectly flat on
    > the ground. She doesn't need to take anything completely off and seems to manage
    > with ease. I have to take my pants completely off and I kneel on the ground.

You should be able to get the belt area wedged between your calf and thigh while
doing your business; that'll keep it out of the way.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu New mini photo-feature: Life in
DC: http://travel.u.nu/dc/

Old Aug 15th 2002, 5:53 am
Miguel Cruz

rramakri <[email protected]> wrote:

Ugh, how are you going to do that in a bus station without getting them filthy?
Done properly, you can keep them on and they touch nothing. Practice in a mirror if
you have to.

> Hang it on the doorknob, water faucet or whatever you can find.

Ugh again, touch nothing (except to nudge the water spigot on and off with the back
of your hand).

> Squat on the front of your feet (with the heel raised) and go about your business.

You'd have to have pretty strong legs to keep that up for long (I'm a semi-serious
bicyclist and just the thought of squatting with my heels up tires me out). The trick
is to keep your feet flat and spread your knees in order to make room to bring your
center of gravity forward.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu New mini photo-feature: Life in
DC: http://travel.u.nu/dc/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.