Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Open a bank account outside KSA - where??

Open a bank account outside KSA - where??

Old Dec 26th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open a bank account outside KSA - where??

I am working in Eastern Saudi, am British with no home in UK, and would like to open a bank account (with debit card) somewhere in the world. I don't know if the petrodollar debate will have a negative effect on the US dollar (and Sterling?) and am also wary about the eurozone (Cyprus bank grab).
Suggestions please for a non-resident account? Bahrain, Botswana, Brazil....etc
Old Dec 29th 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future
Default Re: Open a bank account outside KSA - where??

Originally Posted by magnification
I am working in Eastern Saudi, am British with no home in UK, and would like to open a bank account (with debit card) somewhere in the world. I don't know if the petrodollar debate will have a negative effect on the US dollar (and Sterling?) and am also wary about the eurozone (Cyprus bank grab).
Suggestions please for a non-resident account? Bahrain, Botswana, Brazil....etc
Bahrain won't work unless you have residency in Bahrain - need a CPR to open a bank account. Suggestions would be one of the UK banks in Jersey HSBC Expat is good. Alternative would be to use a relatives address in the UK as a c/o address.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:18 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC Expat is good if you can maintain Advanced or Premier status.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Gus Honeybun is an unknown quantity at this point

But be aware that opening a new account in a UK bank is not as straightforward as you may think. Banking KYC and AML regs are quite strict now.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Tosis is an unknown quantity at this point

Most countries require proof of residency or visa to open bank accounts, so your best bet to open an account in non-SAR currency is likely to be using a large/international bank in KSA who have access to a wider network. For example, I think SAMBA offer an account in USD, and in theory SABB should be able to open an HSBC offshore account for you in Jersey. As mentioned by OriginalSunshine, if you qualify for premium accounts, then it is more likely the bank can help you.

Making the foreign currency account a current account with debit card might be more complicated - I recall being offered this service in the UAE, but haven't seen it advertised in KSA. Also, you mention that you don't want exposure to the US dollar, sterling or the Euro - those are the most common currencies that international accounts are offered in. I have seen expat savings accounts offered in Australian dollars, so that might be an option. You could also look at Swiss franc accounts (particularly if you qualify for private banking).
Old Dec 29th 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips.
Virtual currencies??
Old Dec 29th 2013, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Tosis is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather your money than mine :-) I don't think local regulation has caught up with virtual currencies, so access would likely just depend on the specific facilities (international transfers, etc.) and account opening requirements (AML, etc.) of whichever exchange you use.

Of course if you're looking to hedge your currency risks, the traditional method locally has always been to buy gold. If you don't want to worry about bullion, I think some of the banks offer gold certificates or access to gold funds.