Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Threat to Healthcare

Threat to Healthcare

Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Threat to Healthcare

If this has already been posted (checked but have not seen it) then please remove -

But this could be potentially quite serious -

http://www.roundtownnews.com/rtn-new...ealthcare.html

Has anyone got any further facts on this issue?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:24 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Threat to Healthcare

Originally Posted by spainrico
If this has already been posted (checked but have not seen it) then please remove -

But this could be potentially quite serious -

http://www.roundtownnews.com/rtn-new...ealthcare.html

Has anyone got any further facts on this issue?
Yes, I think this has already been discussed - try here S1 Changes

Comes into force 31st March 2014
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, didn't search under S1.

But is that only part of the story? Not trying to start rumours or scaremonger but the RTN article talks about other reductions and I am wondering if this is the thin end of the wedge -

eg ...'but the Government will allow people to return to the UK for certain ‘planned’ treatment.'

Who wants to return home for treatment with MRSA and other NHS problems, apart from the logistics - ie: I don't have a UK property, how is this practical?

So is this far wider than S1 issues?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

This is typical biased reporting, designed to worry people unnecessarily. It won't affect people already in receipt of short term cover through the S 1, or pensioners covered by an S1.

Just two examples. The consultation paper was published in July, and was widely publicised. It wasn't hidden, I downloaded it and read it through. In terms of expats allowing people to return home, if they have made a NI contributions, this is just regularising what happens anyway, and, in my view is beneficial to expats. As a result of this change, the cost the UK pays is reduced by 5 %, its not, as reported cutting costs by 5%.

This is pretty standard practice in the UK. If you're worried I suggest you read the document. Makes sense to me.

Last edited by CapnBilly; Oct 24th 2013 at 6:14 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK thanks. I am all for the need for the UK to reduce NHS costs but am concerned if these actions affect our rights which we have paid for.

Any other informed comments?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Just so I can be totally and fully clear on this subject: Are we saying here that the S1 is to be withdrawn next year?

My wife and I were planning to retire two years early and move over to Spain to live, around next October 2014, and use the S1 up to retirement age.

Am I right in thinking now we will have to have private medical cover?

If so, that would really upset the plans as she would not get cover for existing medical problems.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

I'm afraid that is correct. However, its not all bad news, as Spain have made some changes as well.

They have intoduced a scheme whereby you can pay to join the heath service. The current monthly cost is €60 under 65 and €157 over 65 and unlike private heath it doesn't exclude existing conditions. However, you have to have been resident in Spain for a year before you can apply, so you won't have cover for existing conditions for about a year. However, if a problem does reoccur, you should, at least, be able to get treatment in the UK.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

...'They have intoduced a scheme whereby you can pay to join the health service.'

I have not seen this anywhere. There was a scheme in the Valencia region which never seemed to have worked and I think was closed down.

Are you saying this new scheme is across all of Spain?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

...'They have intoduced a scheme whereby you can pay to join the health service.'

I have not seen this anywhere. There was a scheme in the Valencia region which never seemed to have worked and I think was closed down.

Are you saying this new scheme is across all of Spain?
Yes, it started on the 1st September 2013. Thought it was discussed on here a few weeks ago, although perhaps it was another forum.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 7:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks. I am all for the need for the UK to reduce NHS costs but am concerned if these actions affect our rights which we have paid for.

Any other informed comments?
what rights that you've paid for??
Old Oct 25th 2013, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

OK I was away for a few weeks and so was off the forum so probably missed it. I don't want to go over old ground, but looks like some people have also not kept with this.

Paid for via UK NI contributions.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember we have been down this road before, some people think that having paid NI contributions over a working life in the UK they have earned certain pension/medical rights. Some seem to think that having paid your NI and retired outside UK you have no entitlement. Just opens up a can of worms realy.
only thing I will say is when I think back to years ago can't be specific about what and who said what, but when politicians were trying to sell us the idea of the great EU it was on the basis of within Europe you will be treated as being in the UK. It was going to be one big open Continent with transferable accrued benefits etc. Not quite how it has panned out especialy now times are hard.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 10:14 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that times have been hard within all of Europe for the past five years or so, but the entire EU is now out of recession and its finances are improving, especially in the UK which is footing the bill for its pensioners living in Spain.

They would dearly like to reduce this bill but I can't see how, it's deeply enshrined in both UK and EU regulations.

And pensioners are more important than ever now on the political stage, they live longer and actually bother to vote, much more than the complacent younger people who often don't bother.

It seems to work well in the Alicante province were I live, qualifying British expats no longer bother with private medical insurance because the state scheme appears more efficient and it's free.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I have looked at the article about the withdrawal of the S1 healthcare cover in the RTN and it's all bluster and if's, but's, and maybe.

I've also followed the links given to the consultations by various government bodies and still can't find any sentence or paragraph that actually states there is to be a withdrawal or indeed by the said dates.

Maybe if someone can point me in the right direction for me to be able to read something actually printed then I will remain sceptical as to whether the S1 healthcare is to be withdrawn at end of march 2014

regards to all
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Found this, which relates to France, but I assume will be the same in Spain.

http://www.french-property.com/news/...r_termination/

It only seems to apply to early retirees, those of retirement age are covered by EU laws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.