Surinder Singh route

Old Dec 18th 2013, 10:58 am
Just Joined

p_stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surinder Singh route

Hi, I'm new to contributing to these forums (though I've read several helpful threads). Now I'm looking for some information which I haven't been able to find online and wondering if anyone here could shed some light on it.

I've been applying for short-term teaching positions in Europe. I've had two interviews recently and on both occasions was told that I'd have to make tax contributions in the UK (because it's a short-term contract).

Apparently it's cheaper for the firm and I pay less if they use a UK agent (middle man) with my UK address rather than me paying taxes and obtaining resident status in Italy.

According to these employers because of the EU arrangement and due to the length of contract this is legitimate BUT my question is...

(I'll be bringing my wife over to the EU) Will making UK tax contributions while working in the EU affect the Surinder Singh route when it comes to the paperwork to bring her over to the UK?

Does the Surinder Singh route require that I need to have a residence permit in that country and/or pay taxes in that country?

Hope, I've explained this clearly. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is we no longer really know. As of the start of next year the UKBA will be raising the bar for those using the Singh route and expecting that “the centre of [the British citizen]’s life has transferred to the EEA State where [the British citizen] resided as a worker or self-employed person.”
Take a look at this blog http://blogs.kent.ac.uk/eu-rights-cl...r-singh-route/

Unfortunately as this is a new piece of legislation and new guidance to the ECOs the practicalities of the implementation are still very much unclear
Old Dec 27th 2013, 7:55 am
Just Joined

shireman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Someone in a conversation raised a perfectly good question re: Surinder Singh route.

- How can a retired UK citizen, returning to UK with his NON-EU wife, use the surinder singh route ?

Any ideas ?

happy new year
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Hi Shireman, the obligation under surinder singh is that you must be a worker; either employed or self employed. Therefore, as a retired person, the only way they could qualify is to find work or set up a small business in order to fulfil their treat rights.