Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

.: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

.: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default .: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

Context // My wife is a US Citizen residing here with me in the UK (London) on a spousal visa. We have been married for less than two years but decided we wanted to move to America permanently to build a life there together. I have documented below our CR-1 Immigrant Visa journey to date, in hopes that it will help those embarking on the process in the near future, answer some questions, and remove some of the stress. This is just our story, and not to say we did everything perfectly at all, but I guess it's a way for me to try and give back to the BE Community.

Feel free to read the story below, check out the links, review the documents I've included, and hopefully it will be of some value. I will try to answer any questions you may have, but it's highly likely the 'BE Regulars' will know a lot more than I do

If you would prefer to see all of this in an easier-to-read single document instead, just click here for the full story, complete with all other relevant documents and links.

Kind Regards,
Rich.

Note; including payments for postage, filing fees, photos, telephone calls, medical examination, immigrant fees, etc, our total costs to date sit at £1062.28 GBP. Since we live in London however, this did not include any costs for travel and hotels, which some people face as a part of this process.

----------------------------------------------

...: MY CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.
07 November 2012 -- I-130 Mailed

My USC wife completed and submitted our first pack (Form I-130), with these contents, via Royal Mail next day recorded delivery to the following address;

Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, American Embassy - London, P.O. Box 2444, London, England, W1A 5WT, United Kingdom.
08 November 2012 -- I-130 Delivered

As intended, the tracking information provided by Royal Mail confirmed that our first pack (Form I-130) had been delivered the day after it was posted.

Note; When my wife initially submitted our first pack (Form I-130), she included affidavits written and signed by friends and family using this document outline which I created.
09 November 2012 -- I-130 Fee Taken [AMEX]

My online AMEX statement later confirmed that payment [$420 USD] had been taken from my UK AMEX Credit Card (details of which had been included in the first pack we submitted) on the day after our first pack (Form I-130) was delivered.
15 November 2012 I-130 -- 'Notice of Receipt' Received via Email

My USC wife received an email from USCIS with this document attached, confirming that they had received her Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) and that it was formally filed on 09 November 2012, which is the same date that payment was taken.

Note; When my wife initially submitted our first pack (Form I-130), she included her email address and mobile number on a completed Form G-1145 eNotification of Application Acceptance.
14 December 2012 -- I-130 'Notice of Approval' Received via Post

My USC wife received this letter [Form I-171 Notice of Approval of Relative Immigrant Visa Petition] in the post from USCIS, confirming that on 05 December 2012 they approved her Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) which had been formally filed on 09 November 2012. Therefore, it took 3½ weeks from filing the I-130 to approval of the I-130. The letter indicated that they would advise me, the UKC beneficiary, in the coming weeks regarding the next steps in the process. Enclosed with the letter, were the receipts for the I-130 filing fee which had been taken via AMEX on 09 November 2012.

Note; When my wife initially submitted our first pack (Form I-130), she included a self addressed envelope with prepaid postage, which they used to send this Form I-171 'Notice of Approval' to her.
11 January 2013 -- Case Number Received

I received this letter from the Immigrant Visa Branch at the US Embassy in London, containing the LND case number I had been assigned, and an invitation to proceed with the next steps in applying for my immigrant visa.

The letter I received was dated 09 January 2013 and as you'll see, did not look particularly formal, but nevertheless it included the case number I needed and instructions on the next steps in the process.
11 January 2013 -- Booked Medical

Following the instruction from the Immigrant Visa Branch, I called the London Knightsbridge Doctors Clinic on +44(0)20 7486 7822 and booked my medical examination. They requested some simple personal details for the booking (Name, DOB, etc) and my Visa Application Case Number.

Note; In preparation for the medical I collated all my vaccination records, one US sized passport-style photograph, my visa application case number, my UK passport, my ACPO Police certificate, a photocopy of my ACPO Police certificate, and this medical questionnaire (completed, signed and dated).
21 January 2013 -- Attended Medical

I arrived around 10:00am for my 10:10am appointment at the clinic [4 Bentinck Mansions, London, W1U 2ER]. I handed over my documentation on arrival at reception, and was asked to complete a short medical history questionnaire, as well as the medical questionnaire which I had completed in advance. I completed this and returned it to reception, before taking a seat in the waiting room.

At 10:35 I was called for a chest x-ray (which I took my shirt off for) but it was a very quick and easy process, then back to the waiting room.

At 10:55 I was called by a nurse who had reviewed the vaccination records I provided reception on arrival. Two jabs were missing; flu vaccination and a tetanus/diphtheria booster. I could have waited and had these done cheaper/free under the NHS but, since that would have delayed the visa process, I asked the nurse to give me the additional jabs there and then. This incurred an additional cost of £52.

At 11:10 I was called from the waiting room by a female doctor. We discussed my medical history and I signed a couple of forms before undressing for her to undertake a variety of tests; height measurement, weight measurement, eye test, blood pressure, breathing, and a physical examination including a genital exam. Afterwards, she took a blood sample and then I dressed before being directed back to reception for payment.

Reception staff returned my vaccination records, my UK passport, the original version of my ACPO Police certificate, and provided a payment receipt. I was told that the reports from my medical would be completed in three or four days and my results sent direct to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the US Embassy. In all, the medical took almost 90minutes and cost a total of £279 which included the two jabs they administered.

Note; The clinic could not accept AMEX Credit Card for payment, so I used my MasterCard.
28 January 2013 -- DS-230 & DS-2001 Mailed

Being the UKC beneficiary applying for the visa, I completed and submitted our second pack (Form DS-230 & Form DS-2001), along with this cover letter, and this supplementary document, via Royal Mail next day recorded delivery to the following address;

Immigrant Visa Unit, United States Embassy, 24 Grosvenor Square, London, England, W1K 6AH, United Kingdom.
29 January 2013 -- DS-230 & DS-2001 Delivered

As intended, the tracking information provided by Royal Mail confirmed that our second pack (Form DS-230 & Form DS-2001) had been delivered and signed-for the day after it was posted.
02 March 2013 -- Interview Appointment Letter Received

I received this letter from the Immigrant Visa Branch at the US Embassy in London, containing the date and time I had been assigned for my CR-1 Visa Interview. I then called the Visa Information Line on 090 4245 0100, and explained that I wanted my wife to attend the interview with me. They provided me with the relevant address to send my request [[email protected]] and a code which I had to include in the subject of my email. After the call, I sent this email to the london consulate to request that my wife be added to the embassy access list to attend the interview with me.

Note; In preparation for the interview I collated a vast array of documents, according to this checklist which I had created. I wasn't sure if all the documents would be required at interview, but decided to err on the side of caution -- better to have something with you and not need it, than not have something with you which they then ask you to produce.
07 March 2013 -- Interview Attended -- Visa Approved

My wife and I arrived at the US Embassy in London at about 7:00am for my 8:00am CR-1 Visa Interview. There was no queue when we arrived at the security checkpoint outside, but people soon started to arrive, and soon there was a fairly lengthy queue. Living in London, we decided to bring only what we needed [documentation, wallet, umbrella, and house keys], and left everything else at home [mobile phones, keyfobs, bags, etc]. We decided to wear smart casual attire [button-down shirt, smart dark jeans, and black shoes // blouse, smart dark jeans, and boots] but many others at the embassy were dressed much more casually.

When the embassy opened at about 7:25am, we showed our passports and interview letter at the checkpoint outside before going through airport-style security, and again when we reached the reception desk inside the embassy building. At this point, we were provided with a ticket-number, took a seat at 7:35am, and waited to be called. Arriving early definitely paid off; we were given a low ticket-number [I-901] at the reception desk, and we were the very first to be called.

When our number was called at 7:50am, we approached the first counter and provided the friendly clerk with the documents she requested along with the respective photocopies;

- My British Passport
- My UK Birth Certificate
- My UK Police Certificate
- Our Wedding Certificate
- 2x Passport-style Photos
- Completed & Signed Form I-864
- Wife's recent Tax Returns

The clerk checked through the above documents thoroughly, keeping both originals and photocopies. We had a friendly and informal chat with her throughout the process, then she asked us to go to the next counter and pay the visa processing fee. We paid the $230 USD visa processing fee on my UK AMEX Credit Card, and returned to the clerk at the first counter with the receipt. At this stage, she took my fingerprints and gave me the chest x-ray CD from my medical, before asking us to return to our seats and wait to be called for the interview with a consular officer. She explained that I would need to keep the chest x-ray CD from my medical and provide it at point of entry [POE] when we arrive in America.

When our number was called again at 8:40am, we proceeded to a different counter where we met the consular officer, who had in front of her all the documents which we had provided to the clerk at the first counter. She returned the original documentation to me and explained that she would be keeping the photocopies. At this stage, she proceeded to have a very informal conversation with us about our relationship, and asked the following questions;

- Where and when did you meet?
- Have you met her family?
- What was the wedding ceremony like?
- Why do you want to move to the States?
- What do you both do for a living?

In answering the questions, we sought to be as open, friendly and candid as possible, and provided various anecdotes, making it more of an informal conversation with the consular officer than an actual interview. She was very pleasant and took some notes, but at no point did I feel like she was interrogating me or trying to catch me out on anything. After all this, the consular officer looked at me with a beaming smile and said ""Congratulations sir, I am pleased to say that your application for an immigrant visa to the United States has been approved today"".

We chatted with the consular officer for another couple of minutes about the next stages in the process; how to arrange the courier delivery, what fees we had to pay, when we would receive the visa itself, etc. Finally, she congratulated us again, and sent us around to the DX Courier Service counter to arrange for the return delivery of my passport with the visa inside.

When we arrived at the DX Courier Service counter, we provided them with details for delivery and, because we both work Monday through Friday, we decided to pay the higher charge [£36.30 GBP] to have the passport with visa delivered before 8AM. . I was provided with this payment invoice which included the necessary tracking information, and also a debit card payment receipt. Note; the DX Courier Service could not accept AMEX Credit Cards, so I paid the delivery charge on my UK Visa Debit Card instead.

At this stage, we had completed the entire process and left the US Embassy at 9:00am. In total, we were on site for two hours, and inside the building for just 90minutes. Every employee we spoke to at the Embassy was professional, polite and very friendly during our visit.
12 March 2013 -- Visa Received!

I received the package from the embassy via courier at 9:10am, despite having paid the additional cost for their guaranteed pre-8am service. I called the DX Courier Service though, and they promptly arranged a refund direct to my account.

Inside the package delivered by the courier, was a large A3-sized sealed brown envelope with this summary document stapled to it, and the following message printed the reverse side of it;

The United States of America - Official Business
IMPORTANT NOTICE
To be opened only by the United States Immigration or Public Health Service Officer.
This sealed package must be surrendered to the United States Immigration Officer at the Point of Entry to the United States.
Do no pack it -- it must be hand carried.

Also inside the package, was this document with information for new immigrants, this document with instructions on paying the new USCIS Immigrant Fee, and of course my british passport with this visa document inside it.

I added the chest x-ray CD from my medical to all of the above, ready to provide it all together at point of entry [POE] when my wife and I arrive in America.
12 March 2013 -- USCIS Immigrant Fee Paid

Since February 1, 2013, all individuals issued an immigrant visa overseas must pay a $165 USD USCIS Immigrant Fee before traveling to the United States. The fee is to be paid after the immigrant visa has been issued, but before the applicant travels to the United States on the visa.

Having received payment instructions with the package I received from the embassy, I visited www.uscis.gov/immigrantfee and followed the simple instructions, making full payment using my UK AMEX Credit Card. Finally, I printed a copy of the receipt to provide to the United States Immigration Officer at the Point of Entry to the United States.

...: FORM LINKS :.

- Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative
- Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative Instructions
- Form I-130 Petition Filing Payment Form
- Form G-1145 eNotification of Application Acceptance
- Form G-325A Biographic Information
- Form I-864 Affidavit of Support
- Form I-864 Affidavit of Support Instructions
- Form I-864P Poverty Guidelines for the Affidavit of Support
- Form DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration
- Form DS-2001 Notification of Applicant Readiness
- Form V18 ACPO UK Police Certificate Application & Instructions

Last edited by richbogle84; Mar 12th 2013 at 5:10 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

jloto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: .: MY CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

That is an outstanding post. Probably would have saved me asking all the questions I have asked in the past few months on here!

Great mix of exact instructions in terms of forms along with the just as necessary (and comforting) anecdotal type evidence of things like the medical and visa interview.

Jon
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rich, that's an awesome post, thank you so much for your diligence!!

I changed the subject line just a bit to add "DCF" since that's a common search term when the I-130 is filed directly in the UK.

Thanks again!!
Rene
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rich,

Regarding the I-864 for your interview, I assume you guys used assets to qualify? Others going through this process might have to use a Joint Sponsor, so their Affidavit of Support documents will be a little different from yours.

Rene
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

londondude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: .: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

I'm curious to know whether things like genital exams (what?) and flu shots (really?) are standard practice? I had a medical in NYC for US immigration a while back and it was fairly basic (mostly just blood and Xray). I'm wondering if Knightsbridges aren't being a bit overzealous.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are. Flu shots are requred, during flu season. A genital exam can yield some surprising results - not so surprising in some countries.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by londondude
I'm curious to know whether things like genital exams (what?) and flu shots (really?) are standard practice?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Great post richbogle!

I have to say I didn't like the attitude of the knightsbridge doctors. Felt like I was treated like a criminal. I think they watched me provide a urine test, or am I making this up? But I'm a paranoid person so don't listen to me...
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londondude
I'm curious to know whether things like genital exams (what?) and flu shots (really?) are standard practice?
Yes... when you apply for a family-based visa outside the US.

I had a medical in NYC for US immigration a while back and it was fairly basic (mostly just blood and Xray).
You were in NYC... and therein lies the difference.

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

The genital exam I was given by the panel physician in Berlin was extremely cursory. I had to lie down on an examination table and undo my fly, but the nurse barely looked underneath my underwear. Am I right in thinking they are less interested in the health of a person's genitals than in whether the genitals are of the, er, variety the person claims? I don't see how the nurse could have established much else from the check she did.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:44 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Am I right in thinking they are less interested in the health of a person's genitals than in whether the genitals are of the, er, variety the person claims?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Regarding the I-864 for your interview, I assume you guys used assets to qualify?
Hi Rene,

Yes. We are both resigning from our London-based jobs when we leave the UK so income from these sources will end. For that reason we used financial assets to qualify on the I-864 and provided savings account statements to demonstrate this. We were still asked however, to provide US tax returns for my wife (sponsor).

I concede though, that if others are using a joint sponsor to meet the requirements for the Affadavit of Support, they will need to include additional documentation and evidence. Good to highlight this

Thanks, Rich.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Wow...who would've thought my post could lead to such an extensive genital exam conversation!

For clarity, the exam I received at Knightsbridge Doctors was quite thorough and therefore, presumably not simply to verify gender. I was asked to stand, and drop my shorts whilst she checked things over. To be honest I didn't feel that bothered or violated by it; the doctor was polite and professional throughout the process.

It wasn't exactly pleasant of course, but in my humble opinion it's really not a big deal, especially in view of all the other hoops we jump through to secure a US immigrant visa. If nothing else, surely it's healthy to have a doctor check things over once in a while

Thanks, Rich.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Wow...who would've thought my post could lead to such an extensive genital exam conversation!
Indeed!

Originally Posted by richbogle84
If nothing else, surely it's healthy to have a doctor check things over once in a while
Agreed. The nurse actually asked me how often I go to the gynecologist and scolded me for not going often enough (i.e. pretty much never). Furthermore, given that it's an expensive exam (especially in London), you might as well get your money's worth .
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Great and thorough thread that I'm sure will be of great help to many people

I've actually had the medical in London twice as I abandoned a previous I-129 filing in 2010.

Both times I was on the bed. The first time she barely slipped a hand under my boxers and I assume it was the old cough test, took two seconds. The second time he asked me to take the undergarments off and indeed conducted a more thorough examination. But really not that thorough and it lasted maybe 15 seconds.

I had a joint sponsor. The only part of the process I found difficult was "I am the only joint sponsor" didn't make sense but had to be the most appropriate box. The rest of it was just a case of having the paperwork filled in, which was very straightforward. The Embassy took the joint sponsor's most recent tax filling and a signed copy of her passport.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

JandE2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an amazing post! Thank you so much for breaking everything down, it is going to help me and I'm sure many others in this horrifying process! Good luck to you and your wife!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.